Walking my EB

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Lately I have been trying to get my 12 bout to be 13 week old EB to go on a walk. She just seems to not want to go. In fact, she sometime won't walk out the door to go potty I have to carry her or force her a bit. She just seems lazy or scared. Any recommendations?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I'm going to give advice coming from a training type point of view ... Once you have established being the Pack Leader and put your sweet Cammie in the followers position in the family dynamics when it comes to walks and going outside for potty breaks I rely on what I've learned from Cesar Milan he will lead a dog out, no words needed, its all energy doing the talking. You are a Marine so you have that leader energy so put that to work ... when its time to go for the walk put the leash on open the door and with your positive energy just walk out the door ... now even Cesar sometimes has to give a slight tug at the leash to get them started but he never gets soft, I know from just looking into my own bulldogs eyes they can melt your heart and you can go awww come on sweetie lets walk ... but a gentle but firm leader goes a long way!! Bulldogs are super smart and will work on your heart strings to get their way.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
The one thing that I found with Bacon was if I shuffled my feet a little it got him focused on my feet and then we would start walking. Are you using a harness or a collar?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My puppy is 7 months old and the breeder where I purchased him says always use a harness with ebd's. I tried that but I found that my puppy did and went where he wanted and usually smelled everything on the ground.. When seeing a person or a bird. duck.. even a glance at someone getting out of their car 100 feet away would be his focus and breaking that focus almost impossible.. My puppy sometimes just doesn't enjoy walking.. at least not too far.. other times he will walk fine with me..I ended up. at the advice of someone here buying a martingale collar.. One that when set correctly.. can't really choke a dog. even when closed.. Even with that there are times he will be on the sniff and I have to break that focus with a good treat down at his nose level. It can be fustrateing at times but I remain calm and just let him sniff.. Now he is at the point where he is sometimes lifting his leg on posts or trees ( I think he learned this at dogie day care but it was inevitable regardless) and marking. I have bought 2 harness's a regular collar. a martingale collar. a collar and lead from mendota and still there are times where he won't walk good with me because he becomes preoccupied with something that captures his attention outside.. Now when we are in a park or place he isn't familer with . he will walk fine with me.. I spoke to a trainer today who suggested to me buying treats called Peer bites ( salmon. chicken ) and trying these. He is young.. I might urge him out the door with a treat as well as a verbal LETS GO or something long those lines. He will pick it up quickly.. Puppys are smart.. Hope this helps. Hero.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
When she does go out on her own or if you are getting her to follow you because you have a treat make sure you give her TONS of praise and rubbies when she does it

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
And remember to praise even when she walks without you having to drag her or pull her. Mine has been learning a lot by when I praise her good behaviour, I say "good girl" or a simple "yes" and she will look me in the eyes because she knows now that I am praising her!

In the beginning she used to drag, walk very slowly or just not walk and I put in a lot of training and work on her so when I say "good girl" she will even pick up her pace and walk a little faster for me! It's the cutiest thing! :) I guess when it comes to 5:30am and me trying to get to work on time, having my dog picking up her pace when walking was kind of a big deal for us!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also have a non walker, my male Dozer, hates to walk, he goes out for his potty duties, but when we want to go for a walk, he doesn't like to walk very far. He will lay on the ground and look at me as if to say really do I have to walk anymore? Lol. To get him to move, I have to pick his bum up and say walk, and cookies work well too. Lol. My Blossom on the other hand has way more energy , she loves to walk , she will go forever, and even has a wiggle to her butt.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.