Allergy testing

OP
M

mabel lou

Ok so one thing I forgot to ask my vet or the dermatologist was this, how old do they have to be? My girl is only 8mths old so I am assuming that is to young, correct? I been talking so much about these allergy test that I would like to have done and never even thought to ask one time about the age. So somebody help me out if you could please.
How old would they like you dog to be before test would read accurately???? Thank you

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...

Oh Sandy I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet Maggie at the end of May and I know how painful it is. My heart truly aches for you.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
[MENTION=4501]mabel[/MENTION]lou, how close to MSU are you? I'm only 10 minutes away and if you are close maybe we can get our bullies together and have a play date!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Our regular vet did Buster's allergy testing. I think it was $250 about 7 years ago. The results showed he was allergic to 25 different items from beef, peas, wheat, etc to house dust and different grasses and trees. After we got him on the right food, he did great with an occasional Benedryl in the spring and fall. He did have a dermatologist for a while who got his ear problems cleared up about the same time.

I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...

So sorry to hear about your beloved Buster. We have a neighbor who recently lost their bully, and when they stopped at the side of the road to pet my new pup and told me their story, I swear there were tears in my eyes. My heart goes out to you girly!

OP
M

mabel lou

I live in Jackson but would love to have a play date lol, we will have to get together sometime. Thanks for the invite

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION], I think for the blood allergy test they like the dog to be at least one year old so that they have been through one full allergy season cycle. Not sure about the skin test, I think Tonka was almost one year old. I would assume they would prefer the puppy be one year old for that as well since the same issue with having been through all the seasons applies. You should ask your dermatologist about the age issue, I am sure he/she can let you know what's best. :)

OP
M

mabel lou

So funny that I am gathering all this information for Mabel to have this done and only because I read your comment I then realized OMG she isn't even old enough darn it, but this site is so helpful. Thank you

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.