Allergy testing

M

mabel lou

I called Michigan State last night to find out what exactly they do to test a dog for allergies, totally an expensive ordeal it is but after speaking to Mabels vet who is from Michigan State about food allergy and or enviromental allergyand still having issues although we are making progress :clap2: we still do have somewhat of a pink face/red eyes. So I figured why keep trying to figure out what the heck she may or may not be allergic to and just go ahead and get her scheduled for the allergy test from a dermatologist and find out exactly what I am really dealing with here. The LID food does make a huge difference however I would prefer knowing if it is food and or enviromental allergies both or just one. So today I will be contacting her vet to schedule this procedure. My questions to anyone of you on this site is this?
Have anyone of you ever taken your bully to be tested at a dermatologist? And if so how effective have the results of the test been for your bully? Thank you and god bless;)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent but many have and it seems to be very accurate actually. I believe there are 2 tests, could be wrong. One for food and 1 for environment. Might wanna make sure what you are covering before you do it so you know.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I never have either, but others have and I think they had good results.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
Our regular vet did Buster's allergy testing. I think it was $250 about 7 years ago. The results showed he was allergic to 25 different items from beef, peas, wheat, etc to house dust and different grasses and trees. After we got him on the right food, he did great with an occasional Benedryl in the spring and fall. He did have a dermatologist for a while who got his ear problems cleared up about the same time.

I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Our regular vet did Buster's allergy testing. I think it was $250 about 7 years ago. The results showed he was allergic to 25 different items from beef, peas, wheat, etc to house dust and different grasses and trees. After we got him on the right food, he did great with an occasional Benedryl in the spring and fall. He did have a dermatologist for a while who got his ear problems cleared up about the same time.

I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that everyone here is thinking of you and Buster. Hugs.

OP
M

mabel lou

I ask how much and it is going to be 500.00-600.00 plus a 100.00 for visit. Now when I ask about the test they informed me that I am to drop her off and at some point and time in the afternoon they will shave a spot of her hair off and will begin testing her for certain things and watch how she is going to react. She said the test results will be back when I come to get her. The test results will show the food she is allergic to and or any enviromental allergies she is allergic too as well. I still need to talk to my vet about this more in detail but this is what the dermatologist office told me when I called them.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have a friend who just had her bulldog tested for allergies .. it was a blood test that was done on her girl. She said it wasn't as clear for food allergies as it was for environmental but helped a lot for her to know what to do and where to really start. Her girl now gets allergy shots but was helpful for her to know what was going on and how to make a plan for a happy healthy home for her baby.

OP
M

mabel lou

I ask about whether or not it was a blood test and the girl said that they would shave a section of her hair and test her that way by injecting samples of allergens into her skin and see how she reacts, they also said that she may need to be on a certain type of food for awhile to see how she reacts to that already which I said to her that she now is on a LID already and has made some progress but that I wanted to just eliminate the changing and changing of foods and or transition of the food changing ect to find out what it the real issue here because this is so much like trial and error that Mabel probably would like for me to stop changing her food so much lol or maybe she doesn't mind cause she is a good girl . I ask how they would go about deciding whether or not it would be food or enviromental allergies and she said they may also need to do a blood test on her as well but would not know until I spoke with the vet in regards to what he felt was gong on with her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So sorry for you loss.... Buster is always with you. I lost my boy a year ago and the pain remains, but I know he is with me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I ask about whether or not it was a blood test and the girl said that they would shave a section of her hair and test her that way by injecting samples of allergens into her skin and see how she reacts, they also said that she may need to be on a certain type of food for awhile to see how she reacts to that already which I said to her that she now is on a LID already and has made some progress but that I wanted to just eliminate the changing and changing of foods and or transition of the food changing ect to find out what it the real issue here because this is so much like trial and error that Mabel probably would like for me to stop changing her food so much lol or maybe she doesn't mind cause she is a good girl . I ask how they would go about deciding whether or not it would be food or enviromental allergies and she said they may also need to do a blood test on her as well but would not know until I spoke with the vet in regards to what he felt was gong on with her.

I did the blood test for both my babies about 7 years ago.... results gave me just what I needed and I will be doing it for all my future bullies too... just saves, pain, discomfort, time and money. My poor boy suffered so much his first year because we did the trial and error... he turned out to be allergic to rice which is the main item in practically every dog food.

OP
M

mabel lou

Mabel doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or anything other than we are going from having a fire engine red face and eyes to now having just pink face and for the most part pink eyes now but she does have the drainage and tear staining more or at least this is what I am seeing. She has been on Natures Balance Potato&Duck LID food for the most part and the longest outside of the other high quality foods I have had her on which is where the fire engine red face and eyes came in at. She might once a day rub her face along the side of the house but only after she goes poop. Not sure they have anything to do with one another but that is the extent of that. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable and because I have seen better results as far as the skin being only pink I keep her on this food but wow just for the testing it is going to cost me 500-600 for the skin test one and then another 100 for the visit and that is not including the blood test one if the vet feels he needs to do that one also. Omg wow but somehow someway I am going to start planning for this. Most everyone of her foods so far has had salmon in it in some form or fashion or sweet potato with the exclusion of her first dog food which I started her on which was lamb and rice and this is where I began seeing the changes in her and from that point on each change of food I made sure it had salmon and sweet potato but even those made me begin wondering if possibly she could be allergic to one of those so that is where the LID came in at but no salmon or sweet potato in this one and like I said her skin went from flaming fire engine red with eyes to match to now pink and pink eyes. So I take note of everything she eats and I keep the empty bags so I can read upon them and compare and LID is the first one she has tolerated well with very little symptoms so I believe we are showing some progress. But I would just like for it to all go away period lol.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

I'm so very sorry. We all hurt when a Bully leaves us. When you are ready..we will be here. I will keep you and Buster in my heart.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)

I'm so sorry for your loss of Buster. He will always be in your heart and is just waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you. I lost Aubrey almost 7 months ago and it still weighs so heavily on my heart. So many of us know your pain and are here whenever you are ready to or need to talk. :hug:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I had the blood test done on Tonka with very minimal results. He wasn't a year old yet though, when we had it done so that might have caused some issues with the test. They are fairly accurate tests, but the most accurate form (so I have heard) is the skin test. I had that done by a dermatologist for Tonka as well. It was $300 for us. Our test was only environmental though, it didn't test any food items. The dermatologist told us for food allergy testing they just do the food trials. He also told us that people severely overestimate how much food contributes to the allergies and that most of the time it's really something in their environment. I know a lot of people have food allergy dogs on this site though, so that might just be a matter of opinion for our dermatologist. So anyway, we had the skin test done and Tonka tested allergic to 15 items! We assumed his allergies were mainly environmental due to his itchy eyes and face and runny nose/eyes. We did do one food change and nothing changed with him. We ended up doing the allergy shots. We still have yet to see how much they will really help, it's too soon to say! So far I think they seem to be working. We also give Tonka two hydroxyzine (antihistamine) per day.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

I am so sorry about your baby!!! :( Just know your bully is at the rainbow bridge with all the other bullys having a grand old time and watching over you! Keeping you in my thoughts.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.