I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergy testing

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Our regular vet did Buster's allergy testing. I think it was $250 about 7 years ago. The results showed he was allergic to 25 different items from beef, peas, wheat, etc to house dust and different grasses and trees. After we got him on the right food, he did great with an occasional Benedryl in the spring and fall. He did have a dermatologist for a while who got his ear problems cleared up about the same time.

I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...
    I'm so sorry for your loss of Buster. He will always be in your heart and is just waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you. I lost Aubrey almost 7 months ago and it still weighs so heavily on my heart. So many of us know your pain and are here whenever you are ready to or need to talk.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

I had the blood test done on Tonka with very minimal results. He wasn't a year old yet though, when we had it done so that might have caused some issues with the test. They are fairly accurate tests, but the most accurate form (so I have heard) is the skin test. I had that done by a dermatologist for Tonka as well. It was $300 for us. Our test was only environmental though, it didn't test any food items. The dermatologist told us for food allergy testing they just do the food trials. He also told us that people severely overestimate how much food contributes to the allergies and that most of the time it's really something in their environment. I know a lot of people have food allergy dogs on this site though, so that might just be a matter of opinion for our dermatologist. So anyway, we had the skin test done and Tonka tested allergic to 15 items! We assumed his allergies were mainly environmental due to his itchy eyes and face and runny nose/eyes. We did do one food change and nothing changed with him. We ended up doing the allergy shots. We still have yet to see how much they will really help, it's too soon to say! So far I think they seem to be working. We also give Tonka two hydroxyzine (antihistamine) per day.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Our regular vet did Buster's allergy testing. I think it was $250 about 7 years ago. The results showed he was allergic to 25 different items from beef, peas, wheat, etc to house dust and different grasses and trees. After we got him on the right food, he did great with an occasional Benedryl in the spring and fall. He did have a dermatologist for a while who got his ear problems cleared up about the same time.

I haven't been able to talk/post about it yet but we just lost Buster Nov. 16. Still heartbroken ...
    I am so sorry about your baby!!! Just know your bully is at the rainbow bridge with all the other bullys having a grand old time and watching over you! Keeping you in my thoughts.

mabel lou

Ok so one thing I forgot to ask my vet or the dermatologist was this, how old do they have to be? My girl is only 8mths old so I am assuming that is to young, correct? I been talking so much about these allergy test that I would like to have done and never even thought to ask one time about the age. So somebody help me out if you could please.
    How old would they like you dog to be before test would read accurately???? Thank you

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Oh Sandy I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet Maggie at the end of May and I know how painful it is. My heart truly aches for you.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

@mabellou, how close to MSU are you? I'm only 10 minutes away and if you are close maybe we can get our bullies together and have a play date!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear about your beloved Buster. We have a neighbor who recently lost their bully, and when they stopped at the side of the road to pet my new pup and told me their story, I swear there were tears in my eyes. My heart goes out to you girly!

mabel lou

I live in Jackson but would love to have a play date lol, we will have to get together sometime. Thanks for the invite

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

@mabel lou, I think for the blood allergy test they like the dog to be at least one year old so that they have been through one full allergy season cycle. Not sure about the skin test, I think Tonka was almost one year old. I would assume they would prefer the puppy be one year old for that as well since the same issue with having been through all the seasons applies. You should ask your dermatologist about the age issue, I am sure he/she can let you know what's best.

mabel lou

So funny that I am gathering all this information for Mabel to have this done and only because I read your comment I then realized OMG she isn't even old enough darn it, but this site is so helpful. Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads