Would you say this antler is safe?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We tossed the end piece of Ellie's elk antler tonight and gave her a new one. While I was deciding which one to give her, I noticed cracks in this one. Would you say think it would be safe to give her?

IMAG0294.jpg

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I've never had one for my babies but you could let Ellie try chewing it but just watch her if it splinters then take it away.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with antlers, but can you take the cracked one back and exchangeutvor a new one? If not then either throw it out to e safe, and get a new one, or only give it to him, when you are present and can supervise him with it. It's always better to err on the side of caution, rather than chance your baby eating it, or getting splinters

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I"ve never seen a cracked one ... if you decide to give it to her then just watch her more carefully than normal. When mine start to chew Antlers they get a bit soggy looking which I would hope stop any splintering!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think it's much stronger than it looks. I only worry about them if they are like bleach white and dry. Then they are brittle and will crack. I don't think..from what I can see that is a crack. Here is a picture of an elks antler mine have been chomping on for months..and not even a tiny bit of an issue!
3yjyvehe.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I"ve never seen a cracked one ... if you decide to give it to her then just watch her more carefully than normal. When mine start to chew Antlers they get a bit soggy looking which I would hope stop any splintering!

^^^^ agreed!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.