doggie daycare and bullies

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
so i'm thinking of putting stig into doggie daycare once a week once he gets all his vaccinations up to date. do you recommend it? after reading some stories about how they tend to get stolen and lost, i'm having some doubts.

since he's left in the house alone during the day when me and my bf are working, i'd like stig to develop some social skills by going there.

what do you think?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Boy, that's a tough question. If you find a place you're sure you can trust, it would probably be good for him. But I'm waaay to paranoid to do it. Since we got Gertie and then Ida, we have a lock on our gate that we never had before. We lock our doors during the day, even when we're home. But we're also there all day, we don't go off to work and leave them, so I can see where you would be wanting to get him out more.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As long as you check the place out and ask for references, I think it's a good idea, especially if it is only one day per week.

It will likely help socialize your bully, they get to be around people and other dogs while you are away, and see if they have training classes or something during the day so it's a double-win. Also, your bully will probably come home exhausted.

I don't think you really need to worry about your dog getting lost or taken from a reputable doggy daycare. I think the biggest pitfalls will be the dog developing bad habits from other dogs or getting in trouble during the day!

Genevieve'sMom

Sep 22, 2010
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Genevieve
I would treat it like a child day care. Plenty of references, ask the tuff questions like the what ifs, and really check the place out for safety. Also if you leave her show up unexpectedly to pick her up;) This will give you a good idea of what the doggie care is really like once you leave.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would treat it like a child day care. Plenty of references, ask the tuff questions like the what ifs, and really check the place out for safety. Also if you leave her show up unexpectedly to pick her up;) This will give you a good idea of what the doggie care is really like once you leave.

I did all the above and I do take Vegas every other week on a day that I work for 5 hours, to an INDOOR (we live in Fl.) AIR CONDITIONED doggie day care. It is $15.00 for the day and is Fantastic, I love it, love the owner, and Vegas starts whining to go in as soon as we pull in the drive, he knows where he's at. Amy (the owner) is very intellegent with short nosed as she says, and puts him in an air conditioned time out room several times a day by himself, to give him a break. I have arrived early to pick him up and I have had to drag him to the car. Just be sure to get tons of references and pop in unexpectedly if you can.

chrisgayle

May 18, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for all the information. It is always required that your pet is taken care of in the right way when you are not around for which you need day care and kennel services. There are plenty of options available these days. So choose wisely.
:)

Last edited:

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Abbey had her first day of Doggie Daycare yesterday. The good news is that she was completely exhausted and fell asleep in the car on the way home. The bad news is that she got a cherry eye. :( She had a little bit of a cherry eye a month ago and was on steroids and eye drops to reduce the swelling. Since it's recurring, she's going to have it fixed. But she LOVED daycare! They post pictures of how the dogs spent their day and she had an absolute blast!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I did all the above and I do take Vegas every other week on a day that I work for 5 hours, to an INDOOR (we live in Fl.) AIR CONDITIONED doggie day care. It is $15.00 for the day and is Fantastic, I love it, love the owner, and Vegas starts whining to go in as soon as we pull in the drive, he knows where he's at. Amy (the owner) is very intellegent with short nosed as she says, and puts him in an air conditioned time out room several times a day by himself, to give him a break. I have arrived early to pick him up and I have had to drag him to the car. Just be sure to get tons of references and pop in unexpectedly if you can.

I would love to try that with Dublin if we dont' get our rescue Bullie soon. Hopefully when we do get to meet after the hols and Dubbie and Vegas get along maybe we can send them the same day. My hubby is so opposed to Day care but knowing that I have someone I know who sends their bullie I might be able to get him to come around. :2thumbs:

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I would recommend that you shop around and find a place that you trust... many of them offer the webcam option so you can watch them from your Iphone or computer.

I take Izzy to a small day care and I LOVE it. She is the biggest dog in there and it's a small house setup so there is always an attendant with them which is the same lady everyday. I love that she gets to be social and also it helps me to come to work and run errands without worring too much about her staying home alone.

Another option if you do live in an area that might have high chances of a pet being stolen is to buy that Tagg service and u can always track your pet.... it's a GPS service (http://www.pettracker.com/). I only got the microchip for Izzy but I think I am safe where I live.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Lulu goes to daycare now and again. We use it to socialize her. When we go to pick her up she generally looks at us with a look that kinda says what the hell are you here for already? She loves it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.