Expanding my family.....Should I?

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Though I am a newbie as many r aware I have fallen head over heels for my lil girl Cammie. I'm trying to determine weither or not to breed her in the future. What are the benefits and not so? I've heard that it is just too hard especially for a newbie but isn't the experience the best thing out there. One thing is, I want to expand the family and have more bullies around.....just a few thought :yes:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It's a lot of work, let's get a few people with experience on here [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1189]Sherri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Did you know that it's rare fore a bully to give birth without a c-section and that they often have to be artificially inseminated to get pregnant? That's just for starters. Also, please make sure your girl doesn't develop any of the bully medical issues before deciding to breed her. We don't need any more sick bullies out there. (end of sermon). I think there may be a breeder's message group on the forum list.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber is my first bully and I thought I might "consider" showing her; well, I found out real quick all the work involved not to mention finding a good trainer and then found out the trainer wanted to take my bully off for months at a time for training and shows. I quickly threw that idea out the window. Some times ideas sound good until all the research is done and the reality of what is involved takes place. My family and I love Amber and all agreed that once she turned a year old (that happened this week) we would get in touch with the breeder for another bully brother or sister. I will say, Amber has given my furniture, curtains, shower curtains, etc a run for our money (lol; her second name....aka...the destroyer) but it has been a fun run and we wouldn't trade it for anything and in fact are looking for more. So, enjoy your bully like we have and if after she is grown and you still feel the same way about breeding I would recommend consulting with an experienced breeder and get guidance on how to pursue that endeavor. Good luck.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
IMO, leave it to the experts, there are simply too many things that can go wrong to risk your babies life or your sanity. ;)

Enjoy her!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well, it's not all that easy and it's very expensive to start, not to mention can be a risk to mama and pups. First you need to research her pedigree and make sure there is nothing in her past that may come up, as being very healthy, no hip displasia, or other diseases that can be genetic. She should be show quality in my opinion before even considering it. There are too many people out there just breeding two bullies together without doing their homework and that's how we get so many sick bullies. I'm not saying yours is sick, but do the research. Then you need to find a good sire to compliment her linage to produce a better pup. Just the minimum amount of money needed to breed and do it the right and safest way will cost about $3000.00 to @4000.00. They have to be artificially inseminated and the pups need to be delivered by C-session. Some peeps will let their mom deliver naturally, but they are taking a huge risk with mama and pups and could loss both in the process. Once the pups are born then you will be up every 2 hours for the first 2 to 3 weeks feeding the pups, because mom can not be left alone with the pups, as she may smother or crush them. I have put a link to an excellent article to read about having pups.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...91-About-Bulldog-Breeding-Learn-What-It-Takes

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Though I am a newbie as many r aware I have fallen head over heels for my lil girl Cammie. I'm trying to determine weither or not to breed her in the future. What are the benefits and not so? I've heard that it is just too hard especially for a newbie but isn't the experience the best thing out there. One thing is, I want to expand the family and have more bullies around.....just a few thought :yes:

I'd just get more puppies :)

Have you looked at rescues, there are so many waiting to be adopted and that would be a great way to expand your family. Or even fostering.

If you want to breed, maybe find a breeder near you and ask if you can help out with their next litter. I met a guy at the vet last week with 2 female bullies and BOTH are pregnant! Um, he wont be sleeping until 2015.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Breeding bullies is not as easy as one thinks. They really are different from many other breeds. The sheer thought scares me really. c-sections, aspiration risk, etc, etc, eeek! :no:. I would rather get puppies. In the future, though, my bf and I decided that we should foster. We'd take in senior bullies too to give them a great home and lots of love. The gratitude on Punkin's face gets us everytime. (He's from a friend's friend and didn't get the attention that he so deserved.)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
If you're not wanting to show your bullies, I'd like to suggest adopting a bully for
a wonderful addition to your family. Not all adoptees are sick bullies w/behavor
problems, rather...many simply are too much work, money or work than the owner
bargained for -so many buy bullies w/no research on the breed's needs, etc and just
don't/can't do what has to be done!

You get to bypass those puppy 'destructive' ways, most are potty trained & have good
manners and most of all, they seem to know YOU are opening up your heart & home and
are grateful, I can't describe the feeling of seeing this knowledge written on their faces
and accordingly, the love & loyalty they give out of their great bullie hearts to you.

I adopted Brutus, my 1st bully, 5 months ago from a nurse w/no time for him and it's like
we've been together forever. She got him off Craig's list and he's had other owners too.
Brutus seems to know this is his forever home and is so happy it brings tears to my eyes
that no one had ever really appreciated or loved this wonderful dog...he's fantastic!

Please consider adoption, you'll be amazed at the quality of the available dogs and so many
needing good homes...tragic!

Oh...the price is right too :) ...and often...FREE
:2thumbs: Brutus's owner was really looking for a
loving and caring home and gave him to me (with his crate), all I had to do was make a 10 hr
trip to pick him up...we'd talked on the phone about her qualifications, she knew me from mutual
friends and I'd been reccomended to her (in fact, she'd called me)...a WIN-WIN for all !

From this experience,I'll always have a bully AND I'll always adopt one, it's that rewarding
:happy2:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I also harbored that very same fantasy with my first Bully, Mable. Some intense research quelled that desire for me; too many uncertain variables. (I like a sure thing!) Add that my sweet Mable was diagnosed with congestive heart failure when she was 3; having a batch of puppies would have certainly killed her. She was taken from me far to early as it was.

I say leave the EB breeding to the folk who know what they are doing and who LOVE this breed like we do.

OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
I also harbored that very same fantasy with my first Bully, Mable. Some intense research quelled that desire for me; too many uncertain variables. (I like a sure thing!) Add that my sweet Mable was diagnosed with congestive heart failure when she was 3; having a batch of puppies would have certainly killed her. She was taken from me far to early as it was.

I say leave the EB breeding to the folk who know what they are doing and who LOVE this breed like we do.

R u insueing that I don't LOVE this breed. If so, this is by far my fav just because its my first doesn't mean it's not my fav!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
R u insueing that I don't LOVE this breed. If so, this is by far my fav just because its my first doesn't mean it's not my fav!

Ohhh no..I don't think she was insinuating ANYTHING! Just saying that she TOO fell so in love with her first Bully, that she thought too thought about breeding. She is saying she LATER discovered her Mable had heart problems and would've died in the process of having pups. I think she is supporting you...never disparaging! Anyway..this is my take on it.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
If you want to expand your family....consider a rescue...I did was the best decision i've made...she was 3 when i got her...a little work, lots of love and she's the best dog ever....she makes me laugh

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.