Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expanding my family.....Should I?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cammie and Gunny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    I also harbored that very same fantasy with my first Bully, Mable. Some intense research quelled that desire for me; too many uncertain variables. (I like a sure thing!) Add that my sweet Mable was diagnosed with congestive heart failure when she was 3; having a batch of puppies would have certainly killed her. She was taken from me far to early as it was.

I say leave the EB breeding to the folk who know what they are doing and who LOVE this breed like we do.
    R u insueing that I don't LOVE this breed. If so, this is by far my fav just because its my first doesn't mean it's not my fav!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Expanding my family.....Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc03grunt View Post
    R u insueing that I don't LOVE this breed. If so, this is by far my fav just because its my first doesn't mean it's not my fav!

Ohhh no..I don't think she was insinuating ANYTHING! Just saying that she TOO fell so in love with her first Bully, that she thought too thought about breeding. She is saying she LATER discovered her Mable had heart problems and would've died in the process of having pups. I think she is supporting you...never disparaging! Anyway..this is my take on it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jenna
    Likes (Received)

If you want to expand your family....consider a rescue...I did was the best decision i've made...she was 3 when i got her...a little work, lots of love and she's the best dog ever....she makes me laugh

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@usmc03grunt - I had the opportunity to take care of puppies just recently so I thought I would chime in on the care aspect of having pups ... I was lucky and they were 4 weeks old when I watched them so they had graduated to eating every 3 to 3-1/2 hours ... in the beginning you have to get up every 2 hours throughout the entire day and night to make sure they are eating, you can't leave them alone with mom cause she could crush or suffocate them on accident, so you get mom lay her down attach the puppies to nurse, the ones I watched nursed then ate puppy mush so I would have to prepare the mush then let them nurse and then eat. keeping their area clean is a major chore too LOL oh my gosh I can't believe how much poop those little ones can make! Puppies are great but they are soooooo much work and that's after all the pregnancy stuff you will have to go through ... the cost of insemination then the cost of a c-section plus watching your poor Cammie get so huge and uncomfortable it can be crazy stressful on both of you. The end of the pregnancy you have to take her temp to make sure she has dipped down and is ready to have the pups ... I only did the puppy care and pregnancy mommy care for 10 days and I tell you what, wowza it's it a lot of work!! Not saying it isn't worth it but if you really want to breed I would just say look deep inside yourself and ask "are you ready for that commitment?" If you do breed I wish you the best of luck and the healthiest of outcomes and hope to see tons of pictures!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member wheezer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus, Dexter
    Likes (Received)

I would never consider breeding my bully. Too much can go wrong and there are so many bullies bred that should not have been. Bad traits have been passed on to other bullies. I know breeders that lost several puppies from allowing the mom to feed the puppies at night without supervision and the pups were smothered. I would suggest you should leave this to experts that are trying to perfect the breed and do not breed bulldogs with health issues that will be passed to new babies. I purchased my bully for a pet and all I cared about was a healthy bully!! Of course, this is just my opinion!!
    Zeus 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads