Housebreaking

Nora Jowls

Nov 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nora Jowls
Hi, I have some questions about housebreaking. For those that know. We got Nora at 11 weeks and had poor proof of shots, so we are doing all her shots from scratch. She is due for her second round on Monday. We haven't been taking her out much because of this. The vet said she can go outside but not on grass and to not let her near any dog poop that people fail to clean up. (Shame on them!) We have made quite a few mistakes....this being our first puppy. I didn't want to crate her right away and am now wondering if I made a big mistake. I broke out the crate today and she did not take well to it. I lured her in with a treat and put a nylabone and a kong in with her. I only left her in about 5 minutes or so as an introduction. I stayed in the room with her as well. She barked a bit and chewed on the metal. Did I make a mistake by not crating her from day one? She has been with us for 3 weeks today. Also is it possible to housebreak her with out crating her at all? Also by what age should she be fully housebroken. How long does it generally take? Ugh. Sorry so long with so many questions. Thanks everyone!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I am a firm believer in crate training, I only use the crate when I have to be away from the house, I have 3 dogs in the house and though my dogs get along very well they play rough and if I'm not there to monitor, simple play could turn to a fight and I can't even imagine how I would feel if something happened to my babies so I play it safe and crate them when I leave. With consistency Nora will get use to the crate as long as being in the crate is always a positive experience she will learn to love it.

As for potty training, you set a schedule of potty breaks and take her out regularly to relieve herself ... as she does better, expand the time between potty breaks but again its all about patience and consistency ... rewards for going potty outside lots of good girl and loves. bulldogs are smart and they figure things out fast, if it makes the human happy, in my experience, they want to do it because they love to please their people.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
She's not too old by any means! I have a wonderful online dog magazine that helped me immensely when crate training Jake. They have tons of info on lots of subjects..let me see if Ican get a link for you!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html#Hsebrk

Check out the magazine..they have a great part on actual process of housebreaking. Worked like a charm!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] set a schedule and be consistent and patient, and before you know it, the potty training will be behind you. We crate train all of our bullies. Since you are just starting out training yours, make the crate a fun place to be, leave the door open for now, feed her in there and when you put her in there, give her a treat, and it won't take long before it's her little house and she will go in by herself.

Plus the info that [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] gave is some good info too.

OP
Nora Jowls

Nora Jowls

Nov 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nora Jowls
Thanks for the replies! We are getting started. I will continue to do little spurts in the crate and try feeding her in the crate and then taking her right outside (she tends to go immediately after eating, this morning she wasn't done with breakfast and she stopped, went, and returned to breakfast!) Its a relief to know it's not too late!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree, scheduled potty breaks and lots of praise when she goes outside and you will be on the right track. Try to keep a schedule, I'm forgetting what the rule of thumb is for how long they are supposed to be able to 'hold it' but I'm sure someone else will be along to assist further. We crate Bacon at night and have since day one, one thing we did that helped was to put a blanket over his crate so he felt more secure when inside his crate.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
She's not too old by any means! I have a wonderful online dog magazine that helped me immensely when crate training Jake. They have tons of info on lots of subjects..let me see if Ican get a link for you!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html#Hsebrk

Check out the magazine..they have a great part on actual process of housebreaking. Worked like a charm!

I've been reading this link during my lunch hour and it's very helpful.

Currently, I'm housetraining Tate and Finn b/c I never did it properly (or at all). They both are peeing everywhere in my house and so I'm starting with the crate training as best as i can.

Question is, they've been "free" to roam in most areas of my house up until a few days ago...and now that i'll be using the crate more will they get used to being in their crate eventually? I feel really awful that I have to put them in there but it's for the sake of house training and for my own sanity. Also, is it okay to keep Finn in his crate more than Tate since it seems like Finn is the one having more accidents? They are both 1.5yo now.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've been reading this link during my lunch hour and it's very helpful.

Currently, I'm housetraining Tate and Finn b/c I never did it properly (or at all). They both are peeing everywhere in my house and so I'm starting with the crate training as best as i can.

Question is, they've been "free" to roam in most areas of my house up until a few days ago...and now that i'll be using the crate more will they get used to being in their crate eventually? I feel really awful that I have to put them in there but it's for the sake of house training and for my own sanity. Also, is it okay to keep Finn in his crate more than Tate since it seems like Finn is the one having more accidents? They are both 1.5yo now.

You can always teach a dog new tricks!!! I would maybe try putting something in there whenever they go in. With Linus we fill as many frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot veg mix inside his Kong as will go in. Then put him in there with it. Keeps him occupied for quite a while!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You can always teach a dog new tricks!!! I would maybe try putting something in there whenever they go in. With Linus we fill as many frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot veg mix inside his Kong as will go in. Then put him in there with it. Keeps him occupied for quite a while!!

My hope is that they both will be potty trained and not to even have to use the pee pads anymore. I read to get rid of those as that still lets them know it's okay to go inside. Problem is, Finn will usually do his #1 and #2 in the wee hours of the night b/c i'll see the evidence on the pads when i wake up. Should i get rid of them entirely and would he be able to change his timing on going potty?

this has been a bit of a frustrating time for me and i know the boys can tell mommy has been whacked out of her mind w/this training. I feel bad for them but i'm trying hard to make this as positive experience as i can for ALL of us!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I initially had the pee pads close to Ambers pen,then I put them further away until they were right next to the door and then put them on the other side of the door with the screen door open so she could see them. Once she got that idea she goes straight to the door and looks up at me. Consistency and patience is key along with lots of praise. Good luck.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My hope is that they both will be potty trained and not to even have to use the pee pads anymore. I read to get rid of those as that still lets them know it's okay to go inside. Problem is, Finn will usually do his #1 and #2 in the wee hours of the night b/c i'll see the evidence on the pads when i wake up. Should i get rid of them entirely and would he be able to change his timing on going potty?

this has been a bit of a frustrating time for me and i know the boys can tell mommy has been whacked out of her mind w/this training. I feel bad for them but i'm trying hard to make this as positive experience as i can for ALL of us!

Henny..you can start with them just like new pups. But you know they can hold it much longer. You will have to be on your toes and cut their freedom out. Until you can trust them. Dena Dawg was a stray and wasn't properly housebroken. She was appx. 1-2 years old when we got her. We didn't use a crate but isolated her to small space when we weren't home. We started at square one with her and just stayed consistent. I'm thinking if you think they will be in crates too long..how about citrates leading to Xpen . I would get rid of the pee pads and just go all in. Outside only. Always begin when you will be home straight for a few days. Lots of trips outside and I know you can do it!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks for all the encouraging words and advice. I really need it. I haven't felt this overwhelmed and discouraged in my bully parenting skills in a long time. I think my mental state is rubbing off on Finn and maybe that's why he's been having probs sleeping too. When I get home from work, it can be anywhere from 5 or 6pm, and there's just a mess in various spots. Sometimes all on the pads, most of the time not. So that gets me upset and feeling defeated.

I still have not gotten the xpen but now i'm going to need to look into it further. The other option is to gate off the kitchen portion and just have them in the laundry room where their crates are.

I know this is going to take some time, step by step.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I unfortunately can't offer any advice on crate training. I've had some crazy issues with Remi, but crate training wasn't one of them. He was crated as a puppy, so he took took it immediately and thinks of it as his room.

The only thing I can give you a heads up about is if your new pup pees in the crate, make sure she just has enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. Because she's so little, she can probably only hold her potty 1-2 hours at this point. If she still pees, you may need to remove the super absorbent bedding. Good luck!!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
With Miss Tallulah I left the crate door open and she would go in and out exploring the new space. Eventually I would close the door for brief minutes and she get a yummy Kong stuffed with Banana. So she always associated the crate with good things. I had read about dividers as a way to keep the space just right for sleeping and turning around but not too big so a puppy could go to the the far corner and potty. I used a divider so she had enough room to turn around and be comfy but not too much room. it worked great. I also agree with a little blanket over the crate at night with a tiny opening so she could see me sleeping nearby. I would also put her in the crate for about 5 - 10 minutes after eating sometimes so she would potty as soon as we went outside and I would say " go potty" and reward her with small treats and tons of praise when she did. Now she will pee on command and poop if she has to. As she got bigger I moved the divider further back until she had the whole crate. To this day if she is tired or wants to get away from the grand kids she goes in her crate to sleep even thought the door is open. It is her secure place. She sleeps with us at night but during the day she has a pen attached to her open door crate and we put in a Kong with banana when we leave so no seperation anxiety. She goes into her crate even though she has a whole pen. Your baby bully is young and will be fine. The past won't matter if you change tactics now. Just be consistent and give lots of praise. There are always going to be a few accidents while learning but don't get discouraged, eventually it will be fine. I was told pee pads can be confusing so I never used them even though it was so freezing cold outside (Canada) and my heart ached for the little muttsky when she had to potty outside. I felt like a mean mom. Hang in there and try not to be too discouraged. One day this will all be a distant memory. Dogs love routine. All the best.

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
it tooks us a while to get buddha to use the potty outside even changing out whole house from carpet to hard wood !
all we did was use puppy pads once he mastered the puppy pad we simply moved it closer to the door every week until it was completely outside and he now sits in front of the door and barks when he needs to go

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online