Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Housebreaking

I unfortunately can't offer any advice on crate training. I've had some crazy issues with Remi, but crate training wasn't one of them. He was crated as a puppy, so he took took it immediately and thinks of it as his room.

The only thing I can give you a heads up about is if your new pup pees in the crate, make sure she just has enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. Because she's so little, she can probably only hold her potty 1-2 hours at this point. If she still pees, you may need to remove the super absorbent bedding. Good luck!!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

With Miss Tallulah I left the crate door open and she would go in and out exploring the new space. Eventually I would close the door for brief minutes and she get a yummy Kong stuffed with Banana. So she always associated the crate with good things. I had read about dividers as a way to keep the space just right for sleeping and turning around but not too big so a puppy could go to the the far corner and potty. I used a divider so she had enough room to turn around and be comfy but not too much room. it worked great. I also agree with a little blanket over the crate at night with a tiny opening so she could see me sleeping nearby. I would also put her in the crate for about 5 - 10 minutes after eating sometimes so she would potty as soon as we went outside and I would say " go potty" and reward her with small treats and tons of praise when she did. Now she will pee on command and poop if she has to. As she got bigger I moved the divider further back until she had the whole crate. To this day if she is tired or wants to get away from the grand kids she goes in her crate to sleep even thought the door is open. It is her secure place. She sleeps with us at night but during the day she has a pen attached to her open door crate and we put in a Kong with banana when we leave so no seperation anxiety. She goes into her crate even though she has a whole pen. Your baby bully is young and will be fine. The past won't matter if you change tactics now. Just be consistent and give lots of praise. There are always going to be a few accidents while learning but don't get discouraged, eventually it will be fine. I was told pee pads can be confusing so I never used them even though it was so freezing cold outside (Canada) and my heart ached for the little muttsky when she had to potty outside. I felt like a mean mom. Hang in there and try not to be too discouraged. One day this will all be a distant memory. Dogs love routine. All the best.

Kennel Cleaner Brenda Janeth Solano's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    buddha
    Likes (Received)

it tooks us a while to get buddha to use the potty outside even changing out whole house from carpet to hard wood !
    all we did was use puppy pads once he mastered the puppy pad we simply moved it closer to the door every week until it was completely outside and he now sits in front of the door and barks when he needs to go

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was so happy when i woke up this a.m. only to NOT find any accidents on my bedroom floor! Finn slept in his crate part of the night. I've been really diligent about taking them out regularly, watching them closely, trying to be very positive about this housebreaking process. I realize it takes time and there will always be mistakes along the way and that all is okay. I feel like Tate and Finn can sense my newfound positve approach with this too b/c they seem happier and Finn slept a lot better.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

good advice in this area! I am hoping to get some more. Winston is 10 weeks now. He is crate trained, sleeps through the night and even goes potty outside...BUT, he still has accidents and I understand that he is still a pup. BUT, i do not understand what to do or how to read signals. As of late he will go out, pee, come back in and 10 minutes laters hes peeing again! Without warning or signal. AND its in random spots, not a specific one. I need to know how I can have fewer in door accidents (there only pee, hes never poop'd inside) AND what/if there is any action of discipline that can be shown to them so they know they've have done wrong. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AS ALWAYS!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I swear by a crate! Before Lola I had never crate trained and I can tell you it is way easier! I had little treats I would give Lola everytime she went potty outside then when she went inside I didnt give her praise or any attention for a few minutes after no matter how hard she tried to get my attention so that she knew what she did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads