Microchipping!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hello everyone! Have a microchipping question! My breeder does not microchip her pups because, her vet feels at 8 weeks, (when they are ready to go home) the needle is too big for them! Yikes! The thought scares me!! When I called my vet, they discounted that and said the needle was no more than a vaccination, and that they would do it at his first visit, 2 days after I get him home.
I do believe in the microchip process, but should I wait until he is a little older? What's the opinion out there? Would love to hear pros and cons (if there are any).
DID I MENTION IT IS ONLY 7 DAYS TIL WE GET TO BRING BOGEY HOME???????
:yes:

Since I am having withdrawal:crying:, I just called the breeder and am on my way to see my little guy!
Pics to follow!!:excited:

Chao!
Mary

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
all of my puppies were microchipped by their respective breeders before I brought them home. The actual microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and the needle is not that big. Your vet is rght. Microchip as soon as possible, Dog forbid if you wait and something happens in the meantime.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I believe it's better safe then sorry, I would let your vet give him his microchip when you take him in for his well puppy exam.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually it is easier to do them at that age because of the loose skin and not as thick. We do them ourselves and they don't even make a peep! We put an ice pack on them for about 3-5 minutes first. The needle is a large gauge so it is way worse than a vaccine but the ice pack makes all the difference :)

I would get your baby chipped ASAP and put the breeders name or vet name as a second alternate contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We had Ellie microchipped when she was spayed since she was already under. Our vet would have done the microchipping at any point, but did mention the large gauge size of the needle. His recommendation was to do it when we had her spayed since she would already be under. Possibly another route to go if you're going to have your guy fixed.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We did the snip and chip with Bacon at the same time, he had a little bump where they chipped him for a day or so but it didn't phase him, neither did the snip for that matter

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hi guys, sorry for the ignorance. We are getting bacon spayed in a couple of weeks and the vet recommended microchipping. What are the pro's and ate there any cons other than the $ to get it done.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
That is strange. I've never heard of the needle being an issue.

I got Tilly microchipped at our first vet visit when she was 8 weeks. She barely noticed! She whined when they did it, but it was just like a 2-second shot. She forgot all about it when they gave her a treat after!

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thank you all! I will most likely have him chipped when I bring him in for his first visit! Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely chip.... both ours are done, but by our vet not the breeder.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The needle is bigger but we have never had any problems with it and always microchip our pups before they go to their new homes.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Yes. Always microchip. Gunny came from the breeder microchipped at 8 weeks. Denali, our boxer, we microchipped at about 10 weeks and didn't have any issues.

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
we had April spayed not to long ago and our vet microchipped her while she was under ....she's a year and a half

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I had my pup chipped during his first vet visit @ 8 weeks. He did let out a little cry but that was it. This breed is very popular (and usually expensive) making them susceptible to theft. While chipping doesn't prevent theft, it can help you get your sweet pet back if such an awful event should happen. I had many things to worry about with my new puppy, at least chipping eased one of my worries. :) Enjoy your new baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.