EB Growth and Development

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I copied this from another board I frequent. I thought this might answer a few questions I see appearing on a regular basis.

"Useful information for new owners of English Bulldog puppies by Bullie Pups R Us

English bulldogs are a gorgeous breed. When one looks at an adult they should see a massive large head, massive chest, low heavy barreled body, short and low to the ground with nice wrinkles for the breed.

As a breeders one of the most difficult things we run in to is the lack of understanding and knowledge by the general public as to how this breed develops over the course from a young puppy in to adulthood.

When English Bulldog puppies are born many dont understand or realize that puppies are born without pigment, teeth and that their ear canals and eyes are closed. They usually weight anywhere from 8 pounces to one pound at birth and usually do not have wrinkles at this age. As they grow they start to get pigment in at about one week of age and this fills in gradually over the course of time, not all at once. Ear canals and eyes start to open as soon as two weeks but some a bit later. Eye color is almost always a grey blue at first. and changes over time gradually.

At about 4-5 weeks old bulldog puppies start to get enough fat under their skin to have some wrinkles. Because they are so short in height and length they tend to look like fat little balls of puppies. They look cute as buttons and will continue to grow and look more fat and adorable until about the age of 9 weeks old. At about 9-10 weeks of age they start to go into what we call their gangly phase. This is when the buyers and novice people to the breed start to complain and panic. English Bulldog puppies will start to get a leggy and gangly look about them. This intensifies at its peak at about 16-24 weeks of age. Most buyers then wonder what they have bought. The puppy looks leggy, too tall, it will likely have a narrow head which can makes ears look big and floppy at this time. Puppies at this age will have also shed any wrinkles that once had. The new owners not understanding that this is a normal phase of development for the breed will start to create havoc for their breeder most of the time. This is the most common time frame of complaints, mostly from first time owners of the breed.

One needs to understand that all species go through an awkward phase while they undergo great bodily transitions and growth. Including human children usually starting around the age of 7 and many times it goes in to the teen years before the ugly duckling becomes the swan. One also has to know how their bloodline develops. If you buy two English Bulldogs understand that each bloodline may go through a completely different magnitude of this phase than another bloodline. sometimes the larger the English Bulldog will be as an adult, means the more the phase will take its toll.

It is not until about 10 months of age that you will start to see the Swan appear from the Ugly Duckling phase of the gangly phase. Even still it is a growth process over months not all at once. Bulldogs don't truly complete the entire growth process until about 2-3 years of age. At about 6-12 months you will see the English Bulldog jaw shoot out and turn up, the head start to spread and grow wider, the brisket or bottom of the chest drop, the width of the bosom spread, the bone thickness will get thicker and last but not least the lovely wrinkles start to fill in again. This is when you start to see the end product appear."

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Yeah, Mila has that lower jaw growing faster than the head thing going on. So cute with her superhero tongue hanging out you can't help but think it is cute. Rudy, at a little over a year, is starting to get the correct proportions. Thinking he will always be too tall and short in length to show. But, he is the cutest bulldog ever for us, aka "the cutest dog in the world" as my wife calls him. Although I think Mila is more cute if you take wiggle butt into the equation. think tap Dance and wiggle butt at the same time.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey [MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION]..do you know you have ALL your settings off on your profile and no one can communicate with you? Is that really how you want it? Just sayin'!

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Hey @linwhite..do you know you have ALL your settings off on your profile and no one can communicate with you? Is that really how you want it? Just sayin'!

I turned stuff on. Let me know if there is still a problem. Thanks.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] great article and it's working again, I've been trying to send you a Santa and it worked now

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Been a while since I had a puppy EB, I forgot all about the development and was wondering if my little sausage was going to be a runt with a skinny head. He's only 5 months so ill wait 5 more months before I get worried.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Great article- very informative to prepare us for what to expect as our baby grows. However, I must refute the idea that ANY bullie goes through the "ugly duckling" stage. They are the most beautiful dogs in the universe at ANY age!:2thumbs: I look forward to our guy going thru his various stages of growth!! We love him more than we ever knew and we don't even have him yet!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.