Confused with how much food to feed my puppy-Please help

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I'm so confused with how much i should be feeding Henry. I've searched the forums and noticed anywere from 1-2cups/day to 3-4 cups/day..
305971_3946888199596_1582671270_n.jpg
-My puppy is 10 weeks old and is currently eating 3 meals/day of 1/3 cup of Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy mixed w/ a tablespoon of yogurt.
I have not started giving him any treats currently.

My breeder told me that he was eating between a 1/4 cup-1/2 cup, so i just took the median and have been giving him 1/3 cup per meal. She also said to follow the guidelines on the puppy food bag but if that's the case then he would be eating 2 1/2 cups/day total at his current weight of 9lbs.

-I don't plan on switching him to another food until around 6 months of age per the vets advice or unless he develops any issues before then.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would try 1/2 cup three times a day and as she gets bigger increase the amount. If her poop gets soft, then decrease just a little. You want them to have plenty of food right now and their poop will tell you if you are feeding too much by being soft to runny.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We fed our guys 1/3 cups 3 times a day, until they were 7 months old, then we switched them to adult food, we feed them Fromms Beef Fritata, and we give them 1 1/2 cups twice a day. You should read the food ratings on this site, as Iams is not the best food. My two came from the breeder on Royal Canin, and after reading the food ratings on here, and trying different foods, I chose the Fromms.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
We fed our guys 1/3 cups 3 times a day, until they were 7 months old, then we switched them to adult food, we feed them Fromms Beef Fritata, and we give them 1 1/2 cups twice a day. You should read the food ratings on this site, as Iams is not the best food. My two came from the breeder on Royal Canin, and after reading the food ratings on here, and trying different foods, I chose the Fromms.

Just curious, does 1 cup of puppy food have more calories than 3 cups of the Fromms Beef Fitata Adult Food? I keep getting more and more confused with all the information that is out there for bulldogs. I thought they ate more as puppies and less as Adults. BYW, DavidH, thank you for the advice, i'll try that.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I not sure if it has more calories, you could check the labels on the bag, but puppy food in general does usually have more of some calories, and vitamins, to support the rapid development and growth of puppies. Its a good idea to keep puppies on a puppy formula until they are 6 or 7 months old, then switch them to an adult food. Fromm's is a better quality food than Iams, Beneful, or Royal Canin, so you can feed less of this food because it is better absorbed , and digested, so the dog gets more out of the food and they also have less poops because food is better digested, I also noticed when I switched , their poops didn't smell as bad.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I can't remember what we fed Tonka at that age but I think we followed the bag recommendations and had no issues with too soft of stools so we kept at it. I know our vet told us then that after they are neutered/spayed they don't need quite as many calories since that's one system that needs less "fuel" to operate so he said to watch for any changes in weight. We didn't adjust much even then since Tonka was always very active. I also always made sure I could see a waist on Tonka (when looking from above) and that his ribs were palpable but obviously shouldn't be visible. I just know you don't want to skimp on food when they are puppies since they need that nutrition. We never had a "puppy" food, we just chose an all stages food. Fromm beef fritatta is a food for all stages, I believe. Maybe someone can confirm but I believe it's safe for puppies.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't want to confuse you even more so just wanted to say hope things work out, I would go with what Davidh has said since he knows a lot about raising puppies

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.