Dilemma, need suggestions

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Good morning everyone,

I saw a post last night from a local dog daycare that a woman has a 2yr old neutered male EB that she is trying to find a good home for. She say's she does not have the time due to work to give him what he needs.

I spoke to my husband last night about him and he is DEAD set against it. I have always wanted EB's so to have the opportunity to get another would be a dream come true and to add a big brother for Otis, even better.

So, I contacted the woman this morning just to visit him (of course it all remains to be seen on how he is).

My dilemma, should I do this without my husbands consent? Come on now, who hasnt brought a dog home against their spouses wishes.....

I don't know if she ever contacted you back ...... but remember one thing ........... after working in rescue I have discovered that owners who surrender their bulldog ........ LIE!!! So maybe it would be worth going to meet this dog, and ask if you can take Otis with you or another dog and do a temperament test on him. Also ask if he has a bite history too.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I don't know if she ever contacted you back ...... but remember one thing ........... after working in rescue I have discovered that owners who surrender their bulldog ........ LIE!!! So maybe it would be worth going to meet this dog, and ask if you can take Otis with you or another dog and do a temperament test on him. Also ask if he has a bite history too.

She contacted me back via e-mail and gave me her number to set-up a time to meet. She wanted to meet at my home with Otis but I dont think thats a good idea, I called her back and left her a message that I would like to meet him first in his enviorment before bringing Otis into it. Waiting for her call back.

M

mabel lou

Well I just wanted to let the readers know that do read this that not all owners who surrender their EBDs LIE because I was one of those people and I spoke the truth and showed all documentation about what had been done to my dogs being surrendered. Not everybodys life always goes the way it is planned and sometimes as responsible animal owners we can make selfless decisions based on what is best for the animal and surrendering them is sometimes the only option if you want what is best for the EBD.
I liked this site until I read that part about people who surrender their dogs LIE!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] please don't let one person's opinion on something reflect on the rest of us.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] I'm sorry ... I probably wrote that too quickly. It would be correct to say that MANY of the owners who surrender their dog to our rescue do LIE! I did not intend to insinuate that ALL owners who surrender LIE. Unfortunately, a large percentage of them do. Being in rescue, I guess I get to see more than is normal of the low lifes who inhabit this planet and claim to look after their bulldogs, because I have been sickened many times by owners who dump their dogs in shelters because they are older, the owners who tell us their bully is in perfect health and yet have so many medical issues it's unbelievable, and the ones who claim that they have no time for a dog, when in fact it is aggressive.

Once again I apologise for replying to the post too quickly and without thinking, and didn't intend to upset you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] I'm sorry ... I probably wrote that too quickly. It would be correct to say that MANY of the owners who surrender their dog to our rescue do LIE! I did not intend to insinuate that ALL owners who surrender LIE. Unfortunately, a large percentage of them do. Being in rescue, I guess I get to see more than is normal of the low lifes who inhabit this planet and claim to look after their bulldogs, because I have been sickened many times by owners who dump their dogs in shelters because they are older, the owners who tell us their bully is in perfect health and yet have so many medical issues it's unbelievable, and the ones who claim that they have no time for a dog, when in fact it is aggressive.

Once again I apologise for replying to the post too quickly and without thinking, and didn't intend to upset you.

I think what Karen was trying to state was that many who rehome dogs fail to mention important factors about health, behavioral issues, and especially aggression.

A prime example is our Khloe. They sent me pictures of her, I talked to them on the phone right before they brought her to my home.

What did they forget to tell me? That she was in a dog fight 3 days ago with her pit bull best friend. Covered on injuries. They also failed to mention she was peeing blood. When they arrived they said "look you can breed her". Like I would breed an injured dog!??? WTF were they thinking??? And hell no was I letting her leave with them-- she needed me. She has been to the vet 4 times now trying to clear this severe UTI. I think you can agree with me, this is stuff you bring up beforehand!!

Karen was just trying to help you to make sure you get all the info- because people (not all---- but many) DO FAIL TO MENTION very important things. Like dog fights, injuries, and blood!

Many here have rehomed, many have done the right thing in the best interest of the loved pet, many have taken in with good and bad experiences. I am also one of them. But we do need to help each other watch out for things from past experiences, and help guide us on our future experiences, we learn from each other :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
She contacted me back via e-mail and gave me her number to set-up a time to meet. She wanted to meet at my home with Otis but I dont think thats a good idea, I called her back and left her a message that I would like to meet him first in his enviorment before bringing Otis into it. Waiting for her call back.

How exciting, I am keeping all in prayer but I'm hoping Hubby falls in love, Otis gets along and
y'all expand your family
:pray2: He's a handsome guy and is a perfect age to adopt!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
One word: Resentment.

I saw an episode on (I know, what else?) Dog Whisperer once where this rescue was brought home without everyone in the family being completely on board. The dog KNEW that the one family member resented him. (Energy / body language, friends!) The dog acted fearful of that human which created even MORE resentment -- and more behavior problems with the dog ---- which is how Cesar Millan got involved. They were one really MESSED UP pack.

Everyone in the family should be 100% on board when bringing a new pack member in the house. Period.

M

mabel lou

I agree that not all people are going to be as upfront and forward like myself however I just know what I did when calling the rescue. It served me no purpose to hold back and it is unfortunate that not all feel as comfortable in telling all. But when someone does surrender a dog for whatever reason. I look at it this way. Whether or not they tell all is meaningless to me because at least they called or contacted the rescue people instead of trying to make a profit and selling these animals to someone all for the mere sake of a dollar. People know that someone else will buy them because they are EBD's. I am not a rescue home for them however I did rescue one of my girls from someone and I was just happy to have rescued her. A ton of medical bills later and clearly a ton of unanswered questions from the previous owner I could look at her and see she needed to see a vet immediately and that was enough for me. I am still happy that I rescued her. No different then any of the other animals I have taken in and gotten healthy and then placed. I realize that the above post was not directed to me personally but if were all going to stand together for the EBD then we have to stand together and understand that if people can't bring them to someone else to rescue them and help them then you might end up with a EBD just wandering the streets because they have no place to go. I appreciate this site and agree to disagree. Thank you for clarifying your comment.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Meeting Samson tonight. Will let you all know how I make out.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
but remember one thing ........... after working in rescue I have discovered that owners who surrender their bulldog ........ LIE!!!

I liked this site until I read that part about people who surrender their dogs LIE!

I don't mean to reopen an old wound but Karen is right. Not all lie, but a LOT of them do. I have an example for you. I volunteer with Mid Atlantic Bulldog Rescue and on Saturday I am going to pick up an EB whose owner surrendered her to a local pound. The woman's story was that her work schedule got busy and she didn't have the time to dedicate to the dog anymore. Come to find out the little girl is very sick. She needs palette surgery, she has a heart condition that will require lifelong medication and untreated kennel cough has turned into pneumonia. I would have her in my house today but she is in an oxygen tent.

A lot of people use excuses like these when they give up their animals because they can't afford medical treatments or they don't want to get involved with a sick dog or there are behavior problems that they either aren't capable of dealing with or flat out don't want to deal with. We see it more times than you can imagine. That is NOT to say that everyone who surrenders lies, but you would be surprised at how many do.

The woman that I got Abby from told me that she had to give her up because her daughter was allergic to her. But now we know that Abby was in kidney failure and that :censored: just didn't want a sick dog in the house. Judging by the price I paid her for Abby, I'm pretty sure she wanted to recoup some of her money too.

Please don't take offense at @kazzy220's statement but don't take a persons honesty or integrity for granted either.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
You don't. What you do is point out that it is almost Christmas and all you really want under the tree is another bully :2thumbs:

I'm meeting Samson tonight so the hounding is going to start shortly therafter....lol

Hope you're doing well!

M

mabel lou

I am not offended so lets just say I smile because the only way we learn is by talking it out and I do believe that we a look at life in our own way, we have a love and desire the teach people and help people with EBDs. When I surrendered my dogs as in plural I spoke with Michigan rescue. I talked with Heather and she made me feel comfortable when talking to her. So much to the point of really feeling that she was here for one reason and that reason being to help me with my situation of no longer being able to care for my dogs. I knew immediately that it was the right thing to do for them and I had contacted the right place who would be able take over from where I could no longer. She was very understanding and maybe had she not been so understanding with the decision I was making who knows I may have made up a good story just so she would take them. But that was not the case for me. I am in no way shape or form saying any one of you are making anyone feel uncomfortable to make a person to not want to tell all. I am just saying that I was looking to find a solution for my situation and heather made me feel she was the best solution for my dogs. Educating people about what to do with medical issues when in need of help should not be the only education one gets from this site. Posting new forums about the surrendering of an EBD should also be an education to the public when someone decides they can know longer care for their dog. Maybe their is such a forum already but speaking of the importance of being able to share all of medical needs done or needing to be done will certainly help in the long run allowing that bully to be loved that much sooner. No questions ask policy is how rescues who take on the responsibility of rescue I believe it should be because no matter what I say my surrender dogs were going to be evaluated and seen by a vet.
Please know that I am speaking very respectfully to anyone that reads my comment and I am not offended and happy to be part of such a great community of people who care so much about EBDs. I also know and understand what the pains of loving a dog who has more medical issues than one can handle and sometimes yes I do get frustrated because clearly I cannot honestly say that I would have purchased that dog knowing about these upfront. But maybe one day we will make a break through with the importance of educating people in all areas of purchasing and or surrendering their dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online