Considering a dog sitter.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
So now that I'm back to work full-time after moving here I'm seriously considering hiring someone to come over at least once a day to let out my pookies to potty and give a little treat. I don't necessarily need them to walk Mac and Cleo but definitely let them potty and love on them for a few minutes. Questions for anyone who has a regular dog-walker/sitter: How much is reasonable? Should I maybe opt for a walk a couple times a week? And potty time the other few days? I don't work crazy hours so at least that helps 8-4:30 M-F.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My sister is a pet sitter and thankfully she comes once a day to let Otis out for a pee break. She usually goes around 11:30 am. I feel so much more comfortable knowing that he gets out for the few minutes he does while I'm away. Not sure on price, I dont think it's to awful much and I would say the walk is probably not necessary unless you want to pay more.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I keep my 4 gated in the room with the door to the yard, not locked in crates. I made a fence for the yard out of puppy pens - unless you've got jumpers the stick-em-in-the-ground fences sold at Lowes and Home Depot should work too. Use heavy duty nylon cable ties to lock them to one another, easy to assemble and easy to take down if needed. You can start with a small fenced area and increase the size as cash allows.Then I put in a doggie door so they can let themselves out as needed. No need to let a stranger into the house, an idea I am not comfortable with. Doggie doors have a heavy duty insert you slide in to keep the door closed if you don't want them going out too. The up front cash outlay is more but it should save you $$ long term. If you rent, you can take down the door that comes with the apartment and stick a different one with the door in instead. Put the landlord's back when you leave and take your fence and door with you. They even have inserts for patio doors or you can go through the wall. Of course if you live on the 22nd floor on an apartment building, stick with the pet walking service. Make sure they are bonded or something.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I work 7:30-4 and leave Char with free access of the house.
At first I was worried she'd have to go potty, so I started running home on my lunches. She was asleep and I couldn't even coax her to get up and go outside!
Then I asked my roommate if she could take her out, she has different days off then I do, and she said Charlotte sleeps in my bedroom until 3:30, then she comes down and sits on the couch in the living room until I get home and then we go out.
If you want a pet sitter hat's great..I just wanted to let you know I'm on a similar schedule and my girl is doing just fine :)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I also considered a pet sitter/walker for Izzy but then I gave up on the idea. Here in Houston a quick potty break (5 - 10 minutes) costs anywhere between $15-$18. I found a daycare right next to my place that charges $15 for half a day and $20 for a full day so I opted to take her there maybe 2x week and that drains so much energy our of Izzy that she spends the next day sleeping! She acts like she ran a marathon!!!!!

I still can run home during my lunch break to let her out since she still a puppy and can't hold her bladder for more than 6 hours but just like [MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION] said by the time I get home she is sleeping and does not want to walk at all!!!! I have to bribe her to leave her crate and come down... she still drags her little butt, takes a quick potty break and goes straight back to the crate. She seems to be awake after 3:30pm too.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I'm another that runs home during lunch. Xena is asleep in her crate and the others are sacked out on couches. She wakes when she hears the door open we go out so she can do her biz then back to her bed. So far has worked out well, I just hate not getting to spend more time with them.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have a doggie door/outside pen setup similar to what lynwhite said, but as everyone else said, Bacon too sleeps until 4 every day. Sometimes he wakes up around 11/1130 and goes out to do his business but a lot of days when it's either hot or cold he will just stay inside and sleep until we get home anytime between 530 and 7.

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I work 7:30-4 and leave Char with free access of the house.
At first I was worried she'd have to go potty, so I started running home on my lunches. She was asleep and I couldn't even coax her to get up and go outside!
Then I asked my roommate if she could take her out, she has different days off then I do, and she said Charlotte sleeps in my bedroom until 3:30, then she comes down and sits on the couch in the living room until I get home and then we go out.
If you want a pet sitter hat's great..I just wanted to let you know I'm on a similar schedule and my girl is doing just fine :)

Dearest Taylor,

Please refer to my post entitled "uh-oh Daddy found out!" You probably need a good laugh right now. You will probably cringe first though, just warning you. LOL I wish mine were as well-behaved as yours.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.