Zeus is ready to give up his jewels!!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus is scheduled for his surgery to give up his jewels on Thursday. I am really apprehensive about the anesthesia, but my vet takes care of many bullies so I feel confident in his abilities. I have asked all the right questions I learned from EBN and he gave me all of the right answers. He told me I could bring him home late that evening or he can stay overnight at no extra charge. However, I really think he will do better at home with us and in my bed. I will have to wait until that time to make my final decision. He is such a momma's boy I think he needs to be home. My hubby wanted me to wait until 18 months to two years, but he is showing signs of maturity I don't like. I think 10 months will work just fine!:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We will keep him in our thoughts, please let us know how it goes.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Zeus is scheduled for his surgery to give up his jewels on Thursday. I am really apprehensive about the anesthesia, but my vet takes care of many bullies so I feel confident in his abilities. I have asked all the right questions I learned from EBN and he gave me all of the right answers. He told me I could bring him home late that evening or he can stay overnight at no extra charge. However, I really think he will do better at home with us and in my bed. I will have to wait until that time to make my final decision. He is such a momma's boy I think he needs to be home. My hubby wanted me to wait until 18 months to two years, but he is showing signs of maturity I don't like. I think 10 months will work just fine!:2thumbs::2thumbs:

At times I wish I would have neutered 3 months earlier than I did. Some of the problems, shy of the terrible two's, I'm having with Wilson and Jack right now is due to them having matured a bit before being neutered....so a trainer told me.

:hug: to Zeus on Thursday. The next day you'd never know Wilson had his jewels snatched from him. :up:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He will definetly be fine, it's not as invasive as a spay surgery, so postoperative healing is much faster. I had both my babies done 2 months ago when they were 9 months old , Blossom was spayed, and my male was neutered. Both did really well, but Dozer healed much faster than his sister, because she had an incision and stitches. He was fine the next day, and you wouldn't even know he had surgery, he came home that night, and had pain meds for 4 days, but only needed them for 3, he was a little sleepy first day, but other than that did really well. You just need to keep him quiet for 5 to 7 days, and restrict his jumping. Don't worry, he is going to be ok, let us know how it went, keep us posted.

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Thank you all for your well wishes! I am only concerned because I know English Bulldogs are so different than other breeds. I was not as nervous with my 3 lb. Yorkie as I am with Zeus and I don't know why. My Yorkie did great and I am sure Zeus will too. This same vet took great care of my other Bully and always knew exactly what to do so I am sure I am worried for no reason, but it is still scarey. I just hope I am doing this soon enough to get rid of some of the male habits I am seeing! [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] you never know what to expect with our boys! I think it is a fine line between too early and not soon enough. We just have to deal with what we get! I will keep you all posted on how he does. This is my only week home for the next three weeks so it was the best time for me. Hubby will be on his own after that!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thank you all for your well wishes! I am only concerned because I know English Bulldogs are so different than other breeds. I was not as nervous with my 3 lb. Yorkie as I am with Zeus and I don't know why. My Yorkie did great and I am sure Zeus will too. This same vet took great care of my other Bully and always knew exactly what to do so I am sure I am worried for no reason, but it is still scarey. I just hope I am doing this soon enough to get rid of some of the male habits I am seeing! [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] you never know what to expect with our boys! I think it is a fine line between too early and not soon enough. We just have to deal with what we get! I will keep you all posted on how he does. This is my only week home for the next three weeks so it was the best time for me. Hubby will be on his own after that!!

My hubby wanted to wait as long as possible for health/growth reasons. He always believed that you don't want to neuter too early. Ideally 18 months would have been his choice too but we got Emma and that was that, the jewels had to go. :christmas19:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was 8 months old when he gave up the goodies and you would have never known the day after. Hardest part for us was keeping him calm so he didn't pop his stitches. Good luck

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Zeus will be just fine! I know how easy it is to worry, though. I am not ashamed to admit I was teary when I dropped Tonka off for his surgery! :rolleyes: When I got Tonka I hadn't heard anything about waiting until a certain age to neuter and heard some say earlier is better and some say waiting is better so I was torn. We had Tonka neutered at the "typical" time vets recommend for most puppies so I think he was 5 1/2-6 months. At that point he had already started the "male behaviors" but I always wonder if that was the wrong decision, though. Does anyone know if/why it's better to wait?

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Couldn't agree more on the 18 months comment, I didn't listen to advice, neutered my dog at 8 months, and I feel he never really was able to develop his courage or self esteem as a result, but, it's also best to do it early to avoid him picking up on habits such as marking or any aggressive or dominance traits, double edged sword, and there is no wrong decision with pros and cons in both arguments, I was worried sick when it was biggies time and was shocked when the vet called an hour later telling me to pick him up, first day he was bummed out, but he was back to normal the day after, we took it easy with no showers for about 10 days till he went back for a check up and got the mother of baths right after :D

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I'm sure things will go fine but we will keep him in our thoughts and prayers ... please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good luck and please keep us posted on how he does with everything

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I will definitely keep you posted on his progress. I will probably pick him up late that afternoon because he will be more comfortable at home and I will be less worried. Also, I have his vet's cell phone number because he knows how paranoid I am about my babies. He doesn't normally see patients after hours, but he always agrees to meet me at the clinic whenever I need him. That does make me feel some better!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I will be with you in this because my foster bully .... Bella Bear ... goes in for surgery on Thursday too!!! She is going to be spayed and also have cherry eye surgery .... I'll be a nervous wreck that day!!! :nervous:

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
No food after 9:00 tonight. Tomorrow is the big day and I am so anxious! He has acted really strange today like he knows something is up. I will keep you posted!! Say a prayer for my baby, Zeus, tonight!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.