Tilly gets spayed AND a nose job this Tuesday!

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Yay!!! So glad she is doing good and surgery went well! Give her lots of love tonight :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
SHE'S OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just called! The surgery went great, she's just sleeping now!!!!!!!!!! I get to pick her up in a few hours!

Apparently the issue was the blood results were unclear, but the lab got them worked out and nothing is wrong. WHEW.

I think people just don't understand that bullies are very, very sensitive. I'm not even worried about the actual surgery - just the anesthesia and her flat little bully face and breathing issues! Plus, she is my LIFE. I would literally die if anything happened to her!

Great news... so happy it all went well. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad it went well, you had me worried there for a sec!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm so happy she is home and safe!!!! But probably not as much as you are!!! :D

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Tilly is home and asleep!

But she is absolutely miserable. I'm a bit terrified. Tell me if this happened to any of your babies...

She had that nose surgery (they made her nostrils bigger b/c they had collapsed) and the spay, but the first thing I noticed when she got in my car was that she had a weird smell to her.. almost like blood but also sort of fishy. It was immediately in the car, just hours after surgery and they obviously had just checked her out. Is this normal? There's no way there could be an infection (that they would've missed) that quickly, right? The actual stitches - both nose and tummy - look fine (...for what they look like).

She was whining quite a bit when she came home, but slept for a while, then ate normally, went potty, and went back to sleep. She seems to be okay and they gave me pain meds that we start tomorrow.

Do you think she's okay? Normal?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't know about the smell, mayde you should call and ask the vet if it's ok??? She went through a big surgery and it takes time for the anesthesia to wear off, so she will be out of it for at least this day. It's a very good sign that she ate. Be strong for her and she'll be fine in a few days. Positive healing thoughs coming your way.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear! Glad it's over. I'm just reading this and I could feel your anxiety. We have to be brave for our bully babies! Hugs for you.:hug:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I don't know about the smell, mayde you should call and ask the vet if it's ok??? She went through a big surgery and it takes time for the anesthesia to wear off, so she will be out of it for at least this day. It's a very good sign that she ate. Be strong for her and she'll be fine in a few days. Positive healing thoughs coming your way.

My bf (who has had lots of big injuries from sports) says that it's probably just the antiseptics/wound sealant/etc that they used. I've never had stitches or any "real" injury, so maybe I'm just being super sensitive to it?

Also, when do you think Tilly will be ok sleeping in the bed with us again? I had her sleep in her crate b/c I'm scared she'll bump her stitches (especially her nose) while trying to snuggle us.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
It's a miracle! Tilly woke up periodically throughout the night to cry (breaking my heart!) and I was so worried about her.

Today, she woke up COMPLETELY fine! No crying, super normal and happy, prancing around, trying to play, and that was before I gave her any pain meds! <3 I'm so relieved. And I think the weird scent is gone (or maybe I'm just used to it now?).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's a miracle! Tilly woke up periodically throughout the night to cry (breaking my heart!) and I was so worried about her.

Today, she woke up COMPLETELY fine! No crying, super normal and happy, prancing around, trying to play, and that was before I gave her any pain meds! <3 I'm so relieved. And I think the weird scent is gone (or maybe I'm just used to it now?).

Fantastic news.... hope you are enjoying your time with her now! Give big hugs from all of us

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
tuesday must have been spay day thats when Buffy went for hers aswell. she was a little rough the first night and really doesnt like her cone during the nights. she hasnt really even tryed to get at her stitches or anything it doesnt seem to bother her at all. so we take it off during the day when we can watch her and she was pritty much back to normal by wednesday night we dont let her do stairs or jump off of anything and try to limit her running but how long do we need to do this? the vet said 10 days i was just wondering if that was being too safe or not. noone is getting that good of a sleep when shes wearing a cone in her kennel at night ha does anyone have any suggestions on how long she really needs to wear it at night? she gets good rest during the days still tho! buffy.jpg

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
tuesday must have been spay day thats when Buffy went for hers aswell. she was a little rough the first night and really doesnt like her cone during the nights. she hasnt really even tryed to get at her stitches or anything it doesnt seem to bother her at all. so we take it off during the day when we can watch her and she was pritty much back to normal by wednesday night we dont let her do stairs or jump off of anything and try to limit her running but how long do we need to do this? the vet said 10 days i was just wondering if that was being too safe or not. noone is getting that good of a sleep when shes wearing a cone in her kennel at night ha does anyone have any suggestions on how long she really needs to wear it at night? she gets good rest during the days still tho! View attachment 31555

I'm so glad Buffy is doing well! I didn't even bother putting a cone on Tilly. I actually went and bought a soft one but my vet said he doesn't think Til will be itching at her stitches much and that I don't need to use my cone unless she is. She hasn't touched her nose or tummy so we haven't forced it on her. Hopefully she won't start scratching as it heals (and it gets itchier!).

If Buffy hasn't tried at her stitches, maybe you don't need the cone at all either. If you're concerned though, there are other options. Are you using a hard plastic cone, or a soft one? The soft ones are MUCH better, as they bend and are more comfortable. You can also get a donut! It's like a big pillow on the neck that keeps them from touching their stitches. I chose the soft cone over the donut though, because the donut is REALLY wide and wouldn't allow her to move around her crate.

As for the 10 days, that is when my vet said she'll be pretty much 100% back to normal. He said the first two days are the most crucial with keeping her inactive, first week is the no walks/activity/stairs, and 10 days is when she'll be perfect.

Any tips for keeping Tilly inactive? Her pain meds are a little too effective.. she is going CRAZY all couped up inside! Jumping, playing really rough, etc. I bought her some fresh marrow bones, which have worked fairly well at keeping her busy, but she still keeps trying to initiate really rough play and tug-of-war with me (which I'm worried about her bumping her nose in!). Anyone have any ideas about treats/things we can do that will wear her out and not affect her stitches?

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
My vet and breeder suggested Benedryl because were having the same problem with Tuni.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online