Tilly gets spayed AND a nose job this Tuesday!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi all,

I expressed how terrified I was of my 5 mo. Tilly getting these surgeries and now they're finally here... ACK!

The nose surgery is going to be done while she's out for the spaying. Her nostrils are collapsing and the vet recommended to get fixed now. He says it's very simple clipping of the nose and takes two seconds.

With this and the spaying I'm at a loss of how to treat my poor poor baby when she comes home! They aren't keeping her over night - surgery is in the early morning, I get her back early evening.

She is crate trained and loves her crate, so I think I'm going to keep her in there (instead of sleeping in the bed) until she's not in pain.

Do you guys have any advice or tips?

Will she eat normally immediately after?
Should I keep her in her crate for most of the day so she can sleep/not upset her injuries?
How long until we can begin daily walks again?
When will she act normally again?
Did anyone's baby have this nose surgery and have some advice?
Any tips on what I should do/give her/etc to make her more comfortable?
Any tips on how to NOT panic that she's getting SURGERY?

THANK YOU ALL!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , I had my female Blossom spayed and I had her cherry eye fixed at the same time. I'm not familiar with nose surgery, but can give you advice for surgery in general. I also picked Blossom up the same night, as the surgery, the vet advised to feed half of the regular food that night, and then the next morning she had her regular feeding. I kept her in the crate, most of the time the first couple of days, as I have her brother too , and didn't want them playing rough with each other, but since you have only one, you may be able to leave the crate door open and be okay. The only thing is the vet told us not to let her run too much, or to jump, but she was on pain meds for 5 days, and she was full of beans. It was hard to keep her quiet. She jumped off the couch the very first night. Our vet sent us home with 5 days of pain medications, but she only needed 4. She's not supposed to run or jump for a week after surgery, or long walks. I just took Blossom out in the backyard to do her duties, and kept her on the leash, so she wouldn't run around, and jump. After a week you can go back to regular walks, and this is when the vet saw her ack for a follow up checkup, and removed the 2 stitches she had. The rest were dissolving stitches. She will act completely normal gift away, Blossom wanted to play, and run around the same night, but I had to keep her quiet. Just give her the pain meds, give her extra TLC, I let Blosssom lay beside me on the couch, keep her as quiet as best you can, and limit her walks to just going out for her duties. As for tips on how not to panic, I'm sorry I can't help you there , we're going to worry about our babies, all we an do is have trust in our vets, and know they're in good hands. Hope this helps you, and eases your mind a little. Hope all goes well, keep us posted after the surgery, and let us know how she's doing after. Don't worry too much, she'll be fine.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely try to keep her calm and crate her!

It's just so sad because she's so happy, laying at my feet with her tongue out, and she has no idea what's about to happen to her... ughhh! :*(

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
She should be fine sooner than expected. For you, try some Valerian Root caps if you're super freaked, Chamomile tea calms as well and is not as potent. check you local natural foods store. There are many herbs that calm.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my only advice is not to treat her like anything happened to her ... when she comes home treat her like you did before she went to the vets office, don't make a big deal of it, she will sense your feeling sorry for her as weak energy and will feel like she needs to step it up and protect you, which could cause other problems. Keep her calm and yes I would say let her spend time in her crate if she is relaxed in there but make sure to watch and keep her from messing with her stitches. I would ask your vet about the exercise but my Molly was up and moving around normally within a few days. please keep us updated on how she is doing. Take a deep breath and don't let your worry for her surface as weak energy, all dogs pick up on that immediately!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's going to be ok, she won't know, and it's only for the day, when she comes home , she'll be pretty tired, and will be happy to see you , and lay at your feet. It's better to do it when she's young and before her first heat. She'll bounce right back.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i didnt get sarah that night as hers was emergency spay but when i got her the next day she just kinda layed around and barely ate the first meal though i did get a bit of canned food in her and by the next meal in the morning she ate just fine. then i was to keep her quiet as in no stairs or jumping for the next few days. i dont crate sarah and shes not a big player so that was np. they didnt even send her home with pain meds and i didnt say nothing as she was ok without them. she recovered very fast actually. we will keep her in our thoughts.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It's normal to freak out and worry about our babies. If you know your vet then you also know she's in good hands. If anything I would just double check the an aesthetic is ISO.

As others have said just do your best to keep her quiet and calm. Difficult sometimes because those pain meds can mask the pain.

My foster Bella Bear goes in for surgery on Thurs for spay and cherry eye. So Im confident I shall be a complete basket case as the day gets closer.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
my only advice is not to treat her like anything happened to her ... when she comes home treat her like you did before she went to the vets office, don't make a big deal of it, she will sense your feeling sorry for her as weak energy and will feel like she needs to step it up and protect you, which could cause other problems. Keep her calm and yes I would say let her spend time in her crate if she is relaxed in there but make sure to watch and keep her from messing with her stitches. I would ask your vet about the exercise but my Molly was up and moving around normally within a few days. please keep us updated on how she is doing. Take a deep breath and don't let your worry for her surface as weak energy, all dogs pick up on that immediately!

:yes: Remember, she has NO frame of reference. Everything will be great. And she'll heal faster, easier as a pup too, won't she? Little Bea had a hernia surgery when she got spayed. Unfortunately, she was allergic to the sutures which created a nightmare on her tummy; the scars of which you can still see today. Opening her back up wasn't necessary. I just had to "ride it out" until the sutures dissolved and she she continued healing. She had NO IDEA what was going on and had I shared fearful, tense energy with her she'd have picked up on it in a heartbeat. We carried on -- within reason -- business as usual. And all the check ups, etc? We made them a fun trip and still today she LOVES to go to the vet! She cannot WAIT to get in there to see Dr. Terry and the nurses....

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I'm sure that she'll be fine. We Ellie spayed and her nostrils cauterized on Nov. 2nd and she's healed just fine. The vet kept her overnight she came home with 2 or 3 days worth of pain pills, but seemed fine after the pills were gone. She was pretty groggy her first day home and slept in her crate most of the first 2 days. The vet recommended 5-7 days of restricted activity, so we carried her up and down the stairs when she needed to go potty and lifted her up when she wanted on the couch/recliner. She quickly showed us that she was ok and ran up/down the stairs ahead of us a couple of times and jumped onto the couch/recliner without any help. We still tried to limit it though for the first week so that she didn't aggravate her incision.

As for the nasal surgery, I'm not sure if the cauterization that we had done is the same as what you're having done, but it took up until this past week for it to heal completely and it was done at the same time of her spaying. The vet said that it's the equivalent to 2nd or 3rd degree burns, so it took a few weeks for it to heal and the last of the dead skin to come off. Now Ellie's nostrils are wide open and there's very little, if any, "wheezing" or "snorting" when she breathes.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely try to keep her calm and crate her!

It's just so sad because she's so happy, laying at my feet with her tongue out, and she has no idea what's about to happen to her... ughhh! :*(

My Tuni goes in for her spay tomorrow as well and I'm feeling the same as you. Totally feeling guilty to have to put her through this. I'm making my mom go with me to drop her off in the morning for support, I know I'll be a wreak. Sending prayers and hugs your way!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is in surgery as we speak... Thank you all for the support. Her vet was wonderful and very reassuring, and I had them do bloodwork before to make sure there isn't an underlying issue. Still freaked out, but I feel a bit better! Thank you all for the kind words. They said they'll call me in a few hours to update me on how she's doing and I get to take her home tonight.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hoping for good news, I'm sure she will be fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.