Biting Issues

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess is going on 18 months and we can't her to stop biting us. We try to redirect her to a chew toy or bone but that doesn't always works. Any other ideas???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When does she do this, when you are playing? They all will play bite. If she bites hard, tell her NO and give a chew toy. She should have gotten the message on this already, but some just like to play hard. You may have to just stop the play when she does this, until she gets not to bite so hard.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Coins in a can is the only thing that works to distract Tonka. As soon as we shake it he stands bolt upright immediately and stares at it, then either walks away or grabs a toy and lays down. It has been our saviour lol.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
When does she do this, when you are playing? They all will play bite. If she bites hard, tell her NO and give a chew toy. She should have gotten the message on this already, but some just like to play hard. You may have to just stop the play when she does this, until she gets not to bite so hard.

Your right she usually does this when she is playing sometime it's not hard but there has been time has been.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Coins in a can is the only thing that works to distract Tonka. As soon as we shake it he stands bolt upright immediately and stares at it, then either walks away or grabs a toy and lays down. It has been our saviour lol.

I will have to try that. I never heard of that before. Thanks.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)

Same for us - Remi used to bite us so hard she'd draw blood and/or leave huge bruises. Biting is 95% gone now at 4 months, and if he does get ya, it's usually by accident or much gentler.

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Oh my goodness Otis was a terrible biter. I would literally go to work bruised daily. It has gotten better now that he is older, but he still does it occasionally. If my son is here he talks in a loud voice and he stops, but that doesn't work for me. Guess I am a big pushover. My husbands snaps a belt together (we would never hit him) and that gets his attention. Planning to try the coin in a jar thing. Sounds like a great idea.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
*please dont judge me as a bad bully mommy* lol.. But.. We have a small baby so had to stop Meeko biting when he plays and has fusses ASAP!! We tried redirecting him to toys.. Didnt work!! The thing i found that stopped meeko biting within days was every time he went to nip us .. When his mouth was open put ur hand in his mouth hold his bottom jaw and say 'NO'. Meeko HATED it would try to pull away and quickly realised if he bit this would happen. He now doesnt nip.. Lets u open his mouth and chek his teeth and if ur hand is inside his mouth and when hands etc are in his mouth he pulls away not to bite u lol xx

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Linus is now 13 months and definitely in the last few weeks his play biting has got much more gentle.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea was super chompy too. Terrible. I did as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] suggested. First, I disagreed with the behavior the moment she was doing it and if she persisted, I just got up and walked away. Fun time is OVER if you're chompy was the message.

Folks say to go "OUCH" really loud to make them stop but that seemed to only inspire Bea to bite harder. A loud ACK! would startle her a bit (to "mark" the unacceptable behavior). If she persisted in chomping, I would just get up or go into another room and unceremoniously just leave her sitting there. She caught on. ;)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Coins in a can worked great for us with Rudy. Also had good success, with Tyler RIP, with pushing the hand in the mouth. They don't like that at all. Remember if you play rough they will play rough. I never blame my dogs for the occasional oops got a piece of skin because I Lost again lol. Mimi was a master at pinch the skin without bruises.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
So thanks everyone for help!! We have been trying the coins in the can this week and it worked. Amazed!! We notice less biting and less using the can by the end of the week. Thanks 😄

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.