Does the amount someone pays for a bully really secure a good home?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I dont know why but some people seem offended when I tell them Mr. Beefy was given to me. Its kindof like you didnt pay alot of money for him so you wont be able to afford to care for him. I dont understand this? Can anyone shed some light on this subject.?:mad:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No, I do not agree with that at all. However, the owner should have disposable income for emergencies and give their dogs the best food and care possible. If they do not have these things- they should not own an English Bulldog. I met someone once who wanted an English Bulldog, but she did not even have a phone!!!!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
No, I do not agree with that at all. However, the owner should have disposable income for emergencies and give their dogs the best food and care possible. If they do not have these things- they should not own an English Bulldog. I met someone once who wanted an English Bulldog, but she did not even have a phone!!!!
I agree.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
That is so my night mare....Someone that can afford a bully may not have a good home at all for them....so it can go either way .... I know I am being way to careful and selective on where my girls wind up..... but I know in my heart someone somewhere will wind up with a wonderful puppy and will take great care of them. I have to believe it or they will stay with me .....:heart:

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
That is so my night mare....Someone that can afford a bully may not have a good home at all for them....so it can go either way .... I know I am being way to careful and selective on where my girls wind up..... but I know in my heart someone somewhere will wind up with a wonderful puppy and will take great care of them. I have to believe it or they will stay with me .....:heart:
I dont think you can be to selective, when the guy called me about Mr.Beefy I gave him vet references and let him come to my house and see where we lived and meet my girls. I have contacted ALOT of breeders in florida looking for a deaf or cleft bully pup but most breeders will not place those puppies. its sad

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
My little Bertie didn't cost me much....all I had to pay for were her 1st shots. She was given to me by a Vet. Her mother was left at the vet for a C section and after the puppies were delivered, the owner never came back. She left the mother and her folder with the AKC papers and the pre registered papers for the puppies. I guess she just couldn't afford the dog and figured if she left it with a vet it and the pups would get a good home. All I had to pay was $40, so I do not agree that you have to spend a lot of mopney on a bulldog to give them a good home. My Bertie has health insurance, gets quality food, and gets lots of attention from me. I have a cocker spaniel also and they love each other so much. They are always playing or curled up sleeping. Usually you will see both dogs and teh cat all curled up wherever they are in the house all together. My cat thinks he is a dog too.

I have seen people that can afford to pay a few thousand for a dog, but I wouldn't trust them to give an animal or even a real kid a good home!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
That is soo great ..Your Bertie is in great hands , I wanted to buy a puppy from breeder and asked if she would take installments and i was laughed at. The puppy was deaf and being that i've had a deaf dog before it would have went to a great home and been able to thrive but all the person wanted was upfront. Makes me sad i still think about her

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Look at all these people that paid thousands of dollars for bullies and they are now in rescue. Take Norman for example. His whole entire family are champions... I'm sure the original people that bought him paid thousands... and I paid 50 bucks for him from rescue!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It was not the amount of buying a Bulldog it was the medical bills that concerned me. I have wanted a Bulldog for many years, but being divorced and raising my 2 boys I knew I could not afford the up-keep. I re-married last Sept. after being divorced for 13 years. My boys are out on their own (23-26 yrs old) and My birthday is in Oct. when my new husband ask me what I wanted I KNEW not only would Vegas have a fantastic home with lots of attention and love, but I could now afford one. So on my 46th Birthday I got my Vegas!! I waited many years to be a bully owner because I had enough sense to know when I was able to provide a good home and HEALTH care.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with everyone here and being able to spend thousands on a bully does NOT make you a good bully owner. But I kinda can see where if you dont know the person that does show a breeder that maybe you do care enough about the dog to save the money up for one. If you dont have much to go on as far as who you are selling to that would be an indicator I suppose. Not very accurate like was posted, these dogs are ending up in shelters regardless of their blood lines.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I would think if you got your Bully for free or a small fee, you'd be able to give it a better home because you'd have a couple thousand still in your pocket. I think they're just jealous because they didn't get a free one.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would think if you got your Bully for free or a small fee, you'd be able to give it a better home because you'd have a couple thousand still in your pocket. I think they're just jealous because they didn't get a free one.

kudos to that!

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
It was not the amount of buying a Bulldog it was the medical bills that concerned me. I have wanted a Bulldog for many years, but being divorced and raising my 2 boys I knew I could not afford the up-keep. I re-married last Sept. after being divorced for 13 years. My boys are out on their own (23-26 yrs old) and My birthday is in Oct. when my new husband ask me what I wanted I KNEW not only would Vegas have a fantastic home with lots of attention and love, but I could now afford one. So on my 46th Birthday I got my Vegas!! I waited many years to be a bully owner because I had enough sense to know when I was able to provide a good home and HEALTH care.

I wish I could find someone like you for my girls..... and gatorfan85 I have even told people I would take payments.....

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I wish I could find someone like you for my girls..... and gatorfan85 I have even told people I would take payments.....
I have looked for 5 yrs for an english bulldog that I could do payments with the breeder. Never found one. I finally found someone with a "special needs" bully pup by accident and the breeder was suppose to call me about coming to pick him up. He had cleft palate and she didnt know what to do, I've helped care for a cleft puppy before plus i did a Thesis on it for one of my Eng Comp classes so I talked to some people who cared for cleft dogs/puppies but he passed away.
I understand the price for english bulldogs , if you are a responsible breeder the process is pretty pricey. But most people not all with the money to throw around only see their bully as an object and not as a living breathing creature that requires alot of love, special care and attention. Health wise these are one the the most health problem prone breed. Its sad to see all the English Bullies in rescues and shelters they are almost as plentiful as pitbulls.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
That's an interesting question. I think that the rationale is that if something can come up with a couple thousand dollars in cash, they have a disposable income to draw from and will be able to take care of the dog. I don't think it is necessarily a flawed idea either but lots of people have lots of money and also sometimes have an attitude that pets are like objects you acquire for status instead of a life you love and take care of.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.