Any Ideas on how to freshen up a rug?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Does anyone have any ideas how to "freshen up" an area rug? I can't really smell it, but after a year of it being nothing but vacuumed I am sure it has odor, between Vegas laying on it, drooling on it and we walk across it etc...I am afraid to use those scented carpet freshners.

I was thinking just plain Arm and Hammer baking soda and vacuum, any other ideas? I do have a carpet cleaner but you have to use all those chemicals and soaps, I am afraid it will affect him. The area rug is in the main living area. Ideas?? Any trial and errors??

Thanks, Kelly

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I shampoo my carpets at least once a month, it freshens them and keeps them smelling like there are no dogs living in the house.

A

Alaskasmom1

Vinegar in a spray bottle. Use it like Febreeze. It breaks down oils and any other organic smells or spills. When it's dry the carpet odor will dry with it. For an experiment, do the following. Capture some urine or if your dog throws up get that. If its on a paper towel or puppy pad, spray the area with clear vinegar mixed with 50% water. It will break up the yellow color right before your eyes. No wiping. I actually use straight vinegar for this but you can do the 50/50. If your dog is in her heat cycle it will do the same on the blood. Just blot up the broken up stain. Don't rub.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
with throw rugs and dog beds I just try to run them through the washer to keep them smelling and looking fresh with the main carpet I will spray it with Febreeze at night before I go to bed that way the dogs don't get it on them and its dry when we wake up, it says that it is safe to use in pet areas and on their bedding.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
with throw rugs and dog beds I just try to run them through the washer to keep them smelling and looking fresh with the main carpet I will spray it with Febreeze at night before I go to bed that way the dogs don't get it on them and its dry when we wake up, it says that it is safe to use in pet areas and on their bedding.

I do the same thing with my throw rugs and his bedding but this is a huge area rug. It is over a year old and NEVER been cleaned, only swept with a sweeper :blush2:, I don't smell it when I walk in the house or anything but I know it has to stink if I put my nose down on it. With all of Vegas's allergies I am afraid to use the carpet cleaner on it because of the chemicals and he lays on it all the time.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
U can use the carpet cleaner go over it once or twice. Then just put hot water w no chemical, just keep going over it till u can't see soap come up

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Vinegar in a spray bottle. Use it like Febreeze. It breaks down oils and any other organic smells or spills. When it's dry the carpet odor will dry with it. For an experiment, do the following. Capture some urine or if your dog throws up get that. If its on a paper towel or puppy pad, spray the area with clear vinegar mixed with 50% water. It will break up the yellow color right before your eyes. No wiping. I actually use straight vinegar for this but you can do the 50/50. If your dog is in her heat cycle it will do the same on the blood. Just blot up the broken up stain. Don't rub.

Vinegar is like a "wonder drug" isn't it?

I've always wanted to try using apple cider vinegar for something (Pickle Paws! comes to mind) but cannot get past the smell. I know it's supposed to evaporate or go away with time but I can smell it. I swear I can!

A

Alaskasmom1

Vinegar is like a "wonder drug" isn't it?

I've always wanted to try using apple cider vinegar for something (Pickle Paws! comes to mind) but cannot get past the smell. I know it's supposed to evaporate or go away with time but I can smell it. I swear I can!
Channel your inner "vinegar" my child. I already posted this or something like it but I'm not sure if it went through. Lol

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I shampoo my carpets at least once a month, it freshens them and keeps them smelling like there are no dogs living in the house.

This - steam cleaning is by far the best for us, but we have more than just an area rug. I think you can rent one from your local pharmacy or something if you don't own.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm buying new rugs LOL But mine are old anyway. I'm glad we got Herman before getting the new rugs and I figured I'd wait. I still might wait since he just ate the edges off a new runner I just bought.

I used my Little Green Clean Machine to clean areas I knew had stains which helped. I used the Arm & Hammer Pet & Odor rug stuff. I never thought of using vinegar in a spray bottle. I can even put that in the Little Green Clean Machine.

A

Alaskasmom1

I actually shampooed my furniture a couple of weeks ago in vinegar water. Oh my goodness the smell and stains are gone! That stuff just keeps amazing me!! 50/50. Once it dries you just don't smell anything. The vinegar or any type smell. You can then use Febreeze if you want a scent. All I ever buy anymore is gallons of vinegar. When Alaska started her heat cycle last time my sofa looked like a slaughter had happened on my almost white sofa,( I'm a clean freak) and the vinegar dissolved all the blood but I blotted for good measure. My daughter in law couldn't believe how well it got the blood up. After this, I shampooed everything in vinegar water. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353986530.961888.jpg

jennylee

Jun 3, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jacky
The best way to remove pee smell from carpet is to use normal Baking Soda. Just sprinkle a handful of your daily use baking soda on your wool carpet and leave it for a night. Next morning the smell will be gone completely.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Natural Homemade Carpet Freshener
Ingredients:
1/2 cup baking soda
20-40 drops essential oil of choice

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I don't use chemicals in my carpet cleaned. Vinegar and water solution and sometimes I put some of my fabric softner in there to get a nice smell. It works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online