Is there a story behind your bully's name??

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester is Chester because we thought it was a good bully name. I hesitated at first because when I was growing up, the man across the street's name was Chester (They called him Chet)..and I didn't think he was always so nice. :p But, it fits him, so that's what we named him :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby is actually Georgia Abigail (GA) initial's are for Univ of Ga, of course and we call her Abby just because it is easier to say. Bella is Isabella Caroline de Sauve. All my skin kids are boys, so I decided to name one of my bullies a name I would use for a daughter. Caroline is my middle name and then I used my maiden name for her last. Our non-bully, Sophie is named after a Bette Midler character, Sophie Tucker. I always wanted a dog named Sophie and one named Tucker, but Terri only allows female dogs in the house.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The name "Maximus" comes from the Latin meaning "The Greatest", and it is the name of the main character in the film "The Gladiator", which is one of my favorite films. The name refers to one who is devoted and loyal !

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
what a great thread! Horse came into our family when he was 6mos old, and the breeder had called him "Horse" because he was the biggest of the litter. We decided to stick with it, it suited him and his personality. My dad wanted me to call him Horace, but Horse just kinda stuck!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
oh, and it's pretty funny when Braeden tells people that he has a "horse" at his house, then waits for their reaction and tells them Horse is his dog!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy's original name was Bruitis but when we brought him home my son said he looked Beefy lol so his name is Mr.Beefy since he is the only man in the house. Georgia's name was georgia when we got her but we call her joe bean and her registered name is Florida Georgia Peach , Baby Joe well she is Georgia's baby and a spitting image of her mom but her nickname is miss kitty since she acts like a cat and her registered name is Georgia's Miss kitty.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
My husband is a 30 year Marine Corps retiree. The mascot of the corps is the bulldog and his name is always Chesty for "Chesty" Puller who was the most decorated marine ever. So when we got Chesty, he was as good as already named, Then came Cadence... We wanted to stay with the military theme so being a female... Cadence just came.... Cadence is a count to a march in the military, our puppies, Marine corps alphabet... This is why I want to name Echo... Echo of Courage.... Marine corps has a saying " Honor, Courage, Commitment" In our first litter of puppies, we lost Orion's brother, we named him Tripoli from the Marine Corps Hymn.

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
When we decided on adopting a bulldog, my husband I went round and round with names. I really wanted to name him Capone. I fell in love with a bulldog named Capone when I created a site for Chesty on myspace. This bulldog lived in Vegas and he was under 3 years old. He was diagnosed with cancer and he fought a good fight, but lost. His owner tried everything. He loved that dog completely. My husband also wanted to use the name Maximus...for the same reason...he loves the movie. Since we were both stuck on different names, we took the suggestion of an unbiased person. He suggested "Vegas". I was thrilled because if I couldn't have Capone...Capone lived and died in Vegas...I could still honor him and his fight.
When we met Vegas, the breeder had 7 puppies in that litter. She named them after the 7 dwarfs. Vegas started out life as "Doc". We played with the name "Doc Vegas" kinda a play on Doc Hollywood....but Vegas won out. Also, since the breeder wanted to incorperate her kennel name into his AKC name...we ended up with Addicted 2 Vegas.
With Orion, I had the name picked out before we had the puppy. I never imagined that my next puppy would be a girl. When Tripoli passed away, I was devastated. My mom asked me if I would give the little girl a home. So, my mom buried the little boy under the name of Tripoli ( I hadn't yet refered to him as Orion...he passed away after just 36 hours...he was so little. Only 4 oz) and the little girl was given a name. Orion, a constellation located on the celestial equator and visible throughout the world. It is one of the largest, most conspicuous, and most recognizable constellations in the night sky. I love looking into the sky and always finding this constellation first. It's as if my eye is drawn to it.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well Cutty Sarks Neat is his registered name and we got him at 9 months so we felt bad changing it on him at that point. That and we couldnt think of one that was fitting enough to be changed to so Cutty it was.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
This is a great thread! Love those Marine names! Gertie was supposed to be Piccadilly. I thought that was such a cute "English" name, I would call her "Dilly". But everyone in my family hated it! They thought it was ridiculous, my husband said he'd call her Pickles and my son said he was going to call her Pickle Dickle if I named her that. So I went with Gertie, it seemed like a good Bully name. Then I considered Piccadilly again with Ida, but Ida just seemed to fit her. Someday I'll have a Bully named Piccadilly!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When we got our little girl, we decided that as it was a breed that originated in Britain that she should be named after one of the Royal family. So after going through all the female royals we decided on the Queens sister - Princess Margaret. Hence the name Maggie!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida 5 min. from the beach, I was planning a "Beach Wedding" last year when I got re-married..UNTIL... my family got involved (and yes I am 46 been divorced 14 years, raised two boys, yet they thought they would do all the planning) My husband and I did not tell a soul... and decided within 2 days to elope to Vegas instead of a beach wedding, last Sept. 5th, :heart: My Birthday is Oct. 13 so when he ask me what I wanted I told him my whole life I wanted an English Bulldog but could not afford one or the possible health problems they can have. On my birthday I received a baby bully, and of course I felt Vegas was appropriate!! So Vegas it is..:D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yes great thread idea!!!! We went through alot of names when we first got Samson but Samson was the one that stuck and I think its a great name for him. He is registered as Samson AKA Sammy Two-Tone, Sammy Two Tone came about because his face is half brown/red half white so his face was 2 toned and we joked it was his gangster name. I really did think it was cute though so thats how I registered him. I also like Brutus and Cash alot, those were the other seriously considered names.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
We batted around several names. Master Chief, Thor, Hulk, Jaws and several others. I personally like the military names. His litter name was Slug. Now when I first read that I was thinking, you know bullets, slugs, etc. Then my hubby reminded me what else slugs were. HA. So around the 3rd day we had him home (I mostly called him baby) my husband was petting his head and his ears were down and I swear he looked like a polar bear. Than aha Bear was born. Then i wanted something catchy for his AKC name. This little puppy was flying around the house. I love snoopy, I love planes, he is considered red and white sooooooo he became Harper's Red Bearan (Spelled wrong on purpose).

I want an all white female to mate with Bear so I am trying to think of some great names. But I guess I won't really know until we get one because what I pick might not be her personality.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I want an all white female to mate with Bear so I am trying to think of some great names. But I guess I won't really know until we get one because what I pick might not be her personality.

I had to (and still have too) explain to everyone that Orion is a girl. I look at the name and automatically think girl....because I'm use to it. I don't know what name I would have chosen if I had discovered her personality first.....Orion to me means PITA. Pain In The ***. In fact, we had a patient come in to fill an antibiotic for her child. The prescription read Orion. I said..."Oh, I love that name. How old is she?" The lady looked at me with knife eyes..."you mean HE?" I apologized and pulled a picture from my work station. I said "I forget that Orion is typically a male's name, here is a photo of my Orion". The lady looked at her photo and smiled. She said "I've never even thought of it as a girls name". Mallo would be a cute all white bulldog name. Short for Marshmallow of course. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.