Is there anyway to safely smooth down nails??

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
A very close friend of mine (hes like my dad) comes over a lot and loves to play with Tank (he says its to visit me but he spends more time with Tank lol). Hes in his 60s and on blood thinners. Today Tank accidently scratched him and it broke his skin causing a lot of bleeding. He shrugged it off saying its no big deal we cleaned it up, stopped the bleeding and dressed it and he went back to playing with Tank. Me on the other hand was really worried. Normally tanks very gentle and he didn't mean to scratch just when he put his paw up to beg he accidently scratched him :(

anyhow my question is is there any way to make his nails dull so they don't do as much damage if he accidently scratches him again?? He loves playing with papa and I don't want to have to stop playtime over me being a worry wart since they both enjoy it but don't want to risk not being able to get the bleeding to stop next time......

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah a dremmel maybe. Or your Dad could also try wearing along sleeve shirt just when he plays with Tank to protect his skin.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I will cut with nail clippers and then I smooth them with a dremel ... if you don't do nails at home you can ask your groomer to use the dremel on the nails to make them smooth after they cut them. also I would ask your friend to wear long sleeves since he really loves to play it would just be a little extra protection, it could ease your worries?!?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Dremmel with the .5" sanding drum works great. It's all we use for HRH's nails. Very easy to round off the edges.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ok we will try that. The hubby has a dremmel. How do you know how far to go or how much to do it without hurting him?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If you don't have access to a dremel, you can use a nail file, the kind that they do fake nails with. You can get them at any drugstore. They're thicker and black.

M

mabel lou

when your papa comes over simply put those little doggy booties on his paws which will prevent it as well from happening. At least this is another avenue you could check out. My mother to as well takes blood thinners and she gets tears in her skin which sometimes can take a long time to heal. She also got one from a family dog and it was pretty bad but that is what we are checking into for her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use a dremmel on our bullies. ON white nails you can see the pink quick, just stay away from that when you cut or dremmel them. On black nails its hard to see, so use your best guess, just take a little off or just round the edges.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Ok we will try that. The hubby has a dremmel. How do you know how far to go or how much to do it without hurting him?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I was taught to just do the tap system, meaning you hold their paw and do a series of taps to the nail in a rolling motion, if the nails are clear you will be able to see the quick but I would say no more that 5 to 6 rolling taps to a nail at a time. I also hold close to the nail so I can feel with my fingers if their nail gets too warm ... if it does heat up just place your finger up against the nail and it will cool it off and try not to hold the dremel to hard against the nail.

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
People on blood thinners are really extra sensitive. A long sleeve shirt won't do the trick, (says a person who hangs their head very low because of her bulldog that ripped a visiting friends leg open) He had thick jeans on. I try to keep his nails short but it sometimes just happens. What I do with scratchy boy is trim them and put socks on him, yes I know I am crazy but he keeps them on and no one gets scratched anymore...

Scout 775

Oct 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle Star & Bonnie
I have ran into the same problem with Belle. I have found nothing!!! Except a professional nail filer from a beuaty supply store. It takes a lot of time. But I have found it to be the best after her nails are cliped. Another thing to think about is letting people know of the hazard. " and how it makes you feel" and ask if they would kindly wear long sleeves to reduce the chances of it happening agian. Good luck.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
People on blood thinners are really extra sensitive. A long sleeve shirt won't do the trick, (says a person who hangs their head very low because of her bulldog that ripped a visiting friends leg open) He had thick jeans on. I try to keep his nails short but it sometimes just happens. What I do with scratchy boy is trim them and put socks on him, yes I know I am crazy but he keeps them on and no one gets scratched anymore...

I dont know if Tank would wear socks. He thinks being dressed is bully abuse and throws a fit :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.