Abby got her wings today

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My heart just sank when I read the thread title. I'm so sorry you lost your little sweetiehead. But I'm relieved she is not suffering anymore. She's on the other side now where there is no pain or discomfort and I hope they have chicken nuggets for her. What am I saying? It's heaven, of course they'll have her favs. Hugs.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Abby was like a child to all of us. The pain will last a long time. Knowing she is free of all the restraints, visits to the ER, hooked up to IV's is the only thing that will keep me from crying. You Bev, have taught many people a lesson on perseverance and how to love a Bulldog. No regrets
You get it, the love of a mama, to love a gift that wasn't perfect. The life and time you gave to Abby and shared with us, was perfect.
We will all meet someday.
@Twice

Sherry just expressed what I was thinking, I can't say anything better so I'll second her wise & true words.

We feel and understand your pain and your loss, here at our house we mourn with you for Abby, an irreplaceable,
special and much beloved Bully.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Im so sorry Twice, may she RIP - my deepest condolences.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thank you everybody for all you have said. My head knows that I did what needed to be done. Her blood was so toxic that it couldn't carry oxygen to her organs anymore, she was literally suffocating. She was out of miracles. My heart is screaming at me that it was too soon.

When I read these posts, and even the ones from people who didn't even know her on Facebook (thank you for that Lisa (@desertskybulldogs) ) I realize how lucky I was to be the one gifted with the responsibility of taking care of her. That little girl was so special to have touched so many, I know that now. I mean, I knew it before but it never really sunk in until today.

I sat around all day yesterday thinking that I saw her everywhere and feeling sorry for myself. The guilt of having to make that decision was a rock in my throat. But today I think I understand that to keep doing that cheapens how she lived her life

I need to thank Abby's secret angels and their sponsorship. I don't know who you are but you need to know how important you were in her final weeks. I need you to know that it was because of YOU that I was able to keep taking care of her these past 2 months. We would have lost her a lot sooner had it not been for your generosity.

I promised her that I would love and take care of her for as long as she needed me to. I promised her that I would fight for her as long as she wanted me to. And I promised her that she would never live in pain. I think I've kept those promises to her and I have one final one to make. I promise that I will never forget the lessons I learned from her.

Someone asked me which was my favorite picture of her. I have a few

This one I think shows her innocence

IMAG0291.jpg

I think this one shows her "abbitude" (she was pouting :))

IMAG0499.jpg

and even tho it's grainy I think this one shows how proud she was

IMAG0199.jpg

Thank you all for loving her with me.

Last edited:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thank you. I have read your profile and am humbled by your resilience and strength. So many challenges, so much love.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We must not forget how Abby's journey will help other pups facing similar circumstances. She was a miracle baby and an angel to so many WHILE she was here and the lessons learned long after her passing will help so many others. Twice, you have become an EXPERT in this area. You dug in and learned every morsel you possibly could about how outside influences could benefit Abby. She will ALWAYS be the epitome of a Miracle Pup and you, Twice, will always be an invaluable resource here at EBN. Sharing everything you've learned going forward is a tribute to Abby and to the special relationship you shared with her.

Her earthly journey may be over but her legacy lives on with you and everything you've learned, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]. We are ALL blessed for knowing her.

Having lost my own special angel, Miss Mabeline Fabulash, on Christmas Day 2009, I know the exquisite agony of facing a holiday marred by such sorrow. I will always be forever grateful that Abby held on for just one more day. Good girl, Abby. Good girl.

Last edited:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Thank you :)

As I said before, she wouldn't eat. No matter what I put in front of her she turned her head. I even ran out yesterday in the middle of dinner to buy her some meclizine (dramamine) hoping that it would stimulate her appetite (that's one of the side effects) but it didn't. I syringed some pureed turkey and sweet potato into her mouth but she threw it back up. Last night she was laying on the couch and she would groan when I touched her. That's when we knew for sure that it was time.

She had never seen a Christmas tree before so I put ours up for her. She barked and growled at it for a little while then fell asleep. Her breathing had changed too, over the course of the night it got more and more labored. She was suffocating.

Making the decision was the easy part. Following through with it was not.

Abby left us surrounded by the staff and doctors at Rutherford Animal Hospital. Everyone there came in to say goodbye, all of us were crying.

I still haven't been able to breath. It feels like there is a hole in my heart and all the air is getting sucked out of it. I know that I did the right thing for her. I find myself wondering if she still had one miracle left in her. But she looked so old and tired.

I loved that little girl with everything that I had. My life will never be the same.

My heart just plummeted to my stomach when I read your post. I have been following Abby's story from the begining and I have always been in awe of your total love and devotion to her. Your strength in the face of such adversity was amazing. it is no wonder that little girl stayed with you as long as she did. She felt so loved and wanted I'm am sure of that. Your grief is felt by us all here on EBN and I only hope I can be as brave as you when that decision comes knocking on our door. As Cesar says "you don't always get the dog you want but you get the dog you need" I am sure that it worked both ways for you and sweet Abby. With love Ann and Dublin...

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I'm so sorry to hear about Abby. You were such a great mamma! You two found each other for a reason..you and Abby both enriched each other's lives. You gave her your final act of love..letting her go when she needed to go and not wanting her to suffer. As difficult as it was..you showed her how much you loved her, right up until the end. You will see her at the bridge! Prayers to you!

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Oh god Bev. My heart is aching soooo much for you and Abby. Tears are flowing like crazy.

I know this may sound trite, but with time you will feel better. Little Abby's time on this earth may have been short, she had such a good mummy that cared for her like no other, I'm sure she knew how much you loved her.

Sending so much love to you Bev. Try to focus your energy on the beautiful times you had together.

Gloria, Bruno and Gidget
xxxx

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I was finally able to catch up after being out of town all weekend! I am so, so very sorry for your loss!! I do not know you or abby but I have followed your journey and have been rooting for you the whole time! I admire you so much for all you have done for your sweet baby. She was very lucky that she had you to take care of her and help her fight. You gave her all those miracles and allowed to experience a life filled with love. They say that when it's "time to go" you just know it in your heart, and I truly believe that you made the right decision at the right time for Abby. It's better that she not suffer and fight anymore based on how you described her in her final hours. I hope you will not feel that there is more you could have done for her...you did MORE than most people would have for her. I hope she is at the Rainbow Bridge and watching over you and your family and playing with the other bullys and completely happy knowing that she was truly loved. That's all she needed and when her time was up, that's what she took with her. I pray for her and for you and your family that you may get through this difficult time and have peace of mind knowing that you made the right decision and that you are a wonderful person for all you have done for that puppy. You are inspiring to so many people here!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm no good with stuff like this. Our prayers go out to you and your family, she's in a better place now playing the way she loved too.

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
So sorry to hear about Abby 🐶. Prayers 🙏 will be sent ur way 😔

Staff online

Members online