Stairs after Spay

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hi! We're getting Tuni spayed next Tuesday. We live in a townhouse with four flights of stairs from upstairs to the outside. How many days after surgery should we carry her up and down the stairs? I'm just worried about me being able to get her up and down the stairs while my boyfriend is at work :-/

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
When we had Ellie spayed recently, the vet recommended restricted activity for about 5-7 days. We have stairs in our house and carried her up and down for the first 5 days. There were a couple of times that she either really had to go out or really wanted to come back in and shot down or up the stairs on her own. I'd just take it easy with her and ease her back into the stairs after a few days. Maybe carry her the first few days and then slowly add in a flight each of the following days until she's back to going up and down them like normal. We also would pick her up when she wanted on the couch or in the recliner with one of us. I'm sure she'll let you know when she's feeling up for it though. I'm guessing that there's no elevator that could be used?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I had Blossom spayed 2 months ago, and the vet told me the same thing , keep her quiet, and restrict her activity for about a week. She didn't listen very well though, she jumped off the couch, the first night home, and was full of beans, it was like she never had surgery, so we ad to crate her a little more than normal. We also did this for her safety because I also have her brother Bulldozer, and they tend to play way too rough sometimes, jump on each other, and bite on each others ears. I let her lay with me on the couch, and gave her one on one time, and alone time out of the crate. She slept a lot for the first 5 days , due to the pain medication. The week after her surgery, we had Dozer neutered, and then we did the same or him. It worked out well to do them a week apart, for the healing.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
When we had Ellie spayed recently, the vet recommended restricted activity for about 5-7 days. We have stairs in our house and carried her up and down for the first 5 days. There were a couple of times that she either really had to go out or really wanted to come back in and shot down or up the stairs on her own. I'd just take it easy with her and ease her back into the stairs after a few days. Maybe carry her the first few days and then slowly add in a flight each of the following days until she's back to going up and down them like normal. We also would pick her up when she wanted on the couch or in the recliner with one of us. I'm sure she'll let you know when she's feeling up for it though. I'm guessing that there's no elevator that could be used?

No elevator :( We can leave her on the main level, but there's still two flights to get outside. We're moving next month, Tuni and I are very excited to not have so many stairs, lol ;) My mom offered to stay with her the day after surgery and I'm thinking of having her stay at my mom's house that day. I know there's no way my mom could get her up and down all the stairs. I hate to have her use potty pads, but I wonder if she would for a couple days...? I'm thinking that's not the best idea though, she's potty trained perfectly and I don't want to cause any confusion. She's getting very heavy and it's getting to the point where I can't carry her far.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I had Blossom spayed 2 months ago, and the vet told me the same thing , keep her quiet, and restrict her activity for about a week. She didn't listen very well though, she jumped off the couch, the first night home, and was full of beans, it was like she never had surgery, so we ad to crate her a little more than normal. We also did this for her safety because I also have her brother Bulldozer, and they tend to play way too rough sometimes, jump on each other, and bite on each others ears. I let her lay with me on the couch, and gave her one on one time, and alone time out of the crate. She slept a lot for the first 5 days , due to the pain medication. The week after her surgery, we had Dozer neutered, and then we did the same or him. It worked out well to do them a week apart, for the healing.

I have a feeling she won't listen either. She is a total stinker and a wild woman. I'm sure she will be up to her usual self. I just don't want her to hurt her incision at all. I'm going to be a wreak the day of surgery...somebody better tranquilize me, lol! kidding...kind of...!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I found the best place for her to be quiet was in her crate, it gave her a place to rest and sleep, and it kept her quiet, so she wouldn't jump, she didn't mind it as she was sent home with 5 days of pain medication, and slept a lot. Can you maybe put her crate on the main floor just for a week? Maybe sleep downstairs near her crate? If not just the crate downstairs for a week, until she is healed, it would be easier to take her out for potty breaks. Also I wouldn't go to potty pads, especially if she is totally trained, as this might confuse her, and set her back in training. My two never liked to use the potty pads, they wouldn't go on them, and tried to et them, and rip them

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
When we had Maggie spayed we carried her up and down for 2 weeks, she had also had her hernia fixed though. We put gates up by the stairs so she would not try on her own and it wasn't too bad. Good luck!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma was spayed not too long ago. Our house is nothing but stairs and she was just fine. She should be able to do the stairs but just keep an eye on her so she's doesn't get too spunky about it. Emma only once scared me and that's whey she jumped off our deck steps about 4'. I was so worried she might had pulled a stitch out but she didn't. She recovered really fast to my surprise.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
When Bacon got neutered I carried him up and down the stairs for the first week and we kept him as quiet as possible.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if she cant stay at your moms maybe just keep her on the main floor and then just do stairs if she has to pp and poop and it would only be 2 flights if she cannot be carried the whole time. sarah jumped on our couch the night of surgery and the day after and she was ok but better safe than sorry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we carried our two up and down stairs until thier stitches were removed

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd go with limited activity for 5 days or so after surgery. My foster bully, Bella Bear, gets spayed and her cherry eye surgery this coming Thursday. I will be a nervous wreck too!!!!!

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I'd go with limited activity for 5 days or so after surgery. My foster bully, Bella Bear, gets spayed and her cherry eye surgery this coming Thursday. I will be a nervous wreck too!!!!!

I feel so guilty having to put her through this :( I'll feel so much better Tuesday night, I'm sure. Good luck with your Bella Bear. We call Tuni, Tuni Bear :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I feel so guilty having to put her through this :( I'll feel so much better Tuesday night, I'm sure. Good luck with your Bella Bear. We call Tuni, Tuni Bear :)

Aawww .. Tuni Bear .... :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online