6 month old bulldog puppy problems need some advice.

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
Our puppy Harley just turned 6 months old and we've been noticing he has a lot of behavior issue. #1 he's 6 months old and he still whines and whimpers when left alone or in his crate away from human contact. #2 He's very aggressive especially when playing I think I made the mistake of playing tug of war with him because now if I run or make any sudden fast movement he will jump and bite me very hard. #3 He will urinate in his sleeping area, he's urinated on any soft material we leave for him to sleep on and he'll continue to sleep on it. #4 He's extremely stubborn he will not come when called sit or down on command even after extensive training.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Wow, that's quite a list there. A few comments, but the veterans will be here soon to weigh in:

1) You may have to start recrate training him. We like to reward our bully for going in with treats and large amounts of praise. We also keep the crate next to our bed when we sleep, which I think he finds comforting.

2) I would start to curb that aggressive behavior immediately. Try a can of change, and whenever he is acting that way or biting to rough, give it a good shake. This really helped our bully stop nipping and biting us during play time. You may want to stop playing tug of war. My husband plays with Remi and he understands you can bite toys only, but it took a while to get there. You may be able to work it back in when he's under control and no longer aggressive.

3) Remove all soft bedding from his crate. It seems mean, but some dogs just can't resist peeing on the super absorbent material, and it doesn't seem to bother them. Once they are crate trained, you can start adding thin blankets back again.

4) How are you training him? Are you using praise/reward system? Treats? Bulldogs are stubborn, but there isn't anything Remi won't do for the right food or motivation.

Hope this helps!!

BTW, are you socializing him with other animals, dogs, and people? How often?

Last edited:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
1. Whining & Whimpering: when he whines and whimpers, do you respond by going to him and giving him attention? He needs to understand it's ok to be left alone and that you will always come back. one way of doing this training is to put him in his crate, walk out of the room, just out of his sight, when he starts to whine/whimper walk back and say "ATAT Quiet" then walk back out of sight if he is quiet even for just a brief moment walk back and tell him good boy or "good quiet" and treat ... it will take a lot of practice but eventually he will understand you want him to be quiet while in his crate. patience and consistency and always reinforce his good behavior.

2. Aggressive Play: I was told and have read that with strong breed dogs it's not good to play tug games or to play rough with them. I would again use sound aversion (I always use the verbal sound "ATAT" and clap my hands loud twice at the same time as the verbal cue) as soon as he makes that first movement to come at you, jump or bite use the sound aversion, stand tall facing him until he gives you total calm submission then walk away. do this each and every time and he will get the message that his behavior is unwanted. again patience and consistency will work wonders!

3. Potty in sleeping area: It sounds harsh to some but ModerFemme is right, taking his bedding away will help. Now that he has the habit it is going to take a lot of work and lots of laundry to correct that behavior but it will happen.

4. Stubborn: Recall is such an important exercise and lesson for any breed ... what I've done, I use a 50ft recall lead ... I let them walk a short distance away with the recall lead attached then call them back using my happy voice, when they come back I praise and treat then let them go just a little bit further and again call them to me using the happy voice, praise treat let them out further ... it will take time but they need to know coming back to you is always worth it because happy things happen .. if you get upset or angry when they aren't coming back they will associate bad things happening ... so recall always equals praise and treats!! and once again patience and consistency is the winning combo!

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Buddy used to whine and whimper in his crate. My older brother who has had numerous dogs told me to get a spray bottle with water in it and tell him NO and spray him.. At first I thought HOW CRUEL I cant do that but I had to do something so one day I tried it and he thought it was some play manuver and growled like he wanted to KILL the bottle. Well I told my older brother and he just laughed and said well he is thinking you want to play.. Next time bang the crate.. really hard and tell him NO.. If you have to KICK the crate. He will get the message and sure enough I only had to do that 2 times I think and now he is fine in his crate. Its worth a try.. As far as Aggressive play Buddy wanted to play like that and I refused to play with him like that he would growl and snarl and I just thought this is no good.. I couldn't believe even as a 9 week old puppy he would growl so mean for a little puppy. The first thing I taught Buddy was the word NO in a stern voice.. and BAD When Buddy was little he bit me a few times in the face.. He didn't know any better but I would always say NO BUDDY.. BAD and now he knows not to play rough and the face is a no no. I would give him one of his toys and not play with him for a while. . Hope this helps.. Hero

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION], not a fan of kicking or hitting the crate with your bully inside to get him to quiet down. The crate should really be the epitome of all that is a happy place - violence really doesn't invoke that feeling.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] have given you some good advice.

OP
N

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] i really appreciate
the time you took to give me such a detailed response. I've been
doing everything you guys have told me. Just recrating him
alone has given me great results. he's finally learning how to hold it till we go outside. I'm redirecting his agressive behavior by working him more and training.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@ModernFemme @bulldogs4me i really appreciate
the time you took to give me such a detailed response. I've been
doing everything you guys have told me. Just recrating him
alone has given me great results. he's finally learning how to hold it till we go outside. I'm redirecting his agressive behavior by working him more and training.

:) hope things continue to get better ... all your hard work will pay off!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online