Question about my female in heat

M

mabel lou

My son brought his male dog over approx a little over a week ago and he began sniffing Mabel and trying to ride her. Then three days ago she came in the house and had a few blood drops on the floor after pottying outside. I cleaned her up and put a diaper on her but she has only had a few drops in it. I have had females before and know what happens when in heat but is this normal? Never had a female in heat who's heat cycle didn't need a diaper.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know nothing about heat cycles, but i did tag a few that have some experience with it

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Some cycles are light, some are heavy. If it's just the start of her heat cycle it will likely get heavier. It lasts a total of about 3 weeks, tapering off toward the end of the cycle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
M

mabel lou

Yes I know that I just have never ever experienced this before, I have always needed a diaper and seriously 3 days ago she came in from going potty (me with her ) and as she walked in the door I seen drop drop drop and so I wiped her and I seen exactly where the drips were coming from it was blood and so I put a diaper on her, like I said my sons dog was just here a week ago and I knew then that she must be getting ready to do into heat because they would play and then out of no where he began riding her. So yes I knew it was coming but just was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this drop drop drop and then no need for a diaper after that,hmmm. No swelling no nothing

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I know that I just have never ever experienced this before, I have always needed a diaper and seriously 3 days ago she came in from going potty (me with her ) and as she walked in the door I seen drop drop drop and so I wiped her and I seen exactly where the drips were coming from it was blood and so I put a diaper on her, like I said my sons dog was just here a week ago and I knew then that she must be getting ready to do into heat because they would play and then out of no where he began riding her. So yes I knew it was coming but just was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this drop drop drop and then no need for a diaper after that,hmmm. No swelling no nothing

If there is no swelling and no other blood it could be a UTI or another infection. Is she squatting to pee a lot? Boy dogs know no difference between a UTI or heat cycle. They smell blood. When a female has a UTI she can have "pooling blood" that drips out then nothing until they squat to pee again.

OP
M

mabel lou

She is a little stinker lol the second I posted my forum she decides to go outside and pee and of course we have blood and drip drip drip since then and now is wearing a diaper omg this girl is driving me to drink lol. I love her to death but yeah she is bleeding much more now then the other day so I am assuming this is her heat cycle. As far as my sons dog goes well at this point she didn't bleed any drops and both he and I were very surprised at him riding her out of the clear blue. But that is how we realized she was going to be coming into heat. They are around each other all the time so this was out of the ordinary for him and her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't rule out UTI just yet. She should be swollen in her Girlie bits, if not you should be ready to go to vets if needed. If she is dripping red blood after peeing that is a sign of both heat or UTI.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I got lucky with Emma. She was my first female dog in quite a few years. She drip a few little spots about a week prior to her full on heat. Emma started swelling up on her lady bit and then she ballooned up for about two weeks into her heat. That's about all I can add really. But she did only drip a few times the week before.

OP
M

mabel lou

yes her blood is the color red and she is a little bit swollen but not like my other females I have had previously. I just thought like them it would require a diaper immediately or drops of blood everywhere but hers is a drip drip and just a bit different then others. She is urinating normal as well and drinking plenty of water. She does look cute in her diaper although she absolutely hates it and I mean she hates it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.