Pet Insurance In Canada

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Our puppy is between 5 and 6 months old and we havnt got pet insurance for her yet, should we be? and can anyone reccomend a good company or program in canada?? and what it usually costs? thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't know about pet insurance in Canada, I hope someone comes along soon to help you

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Our puppy is between 5 and 6 months old and we havnt got pet insurance for her yet, should we be? and can anyone reccomend a good company or program in canada?? and what it usually costs? thanks

Hi there,

Yes I would strongly recommend insurance.

We have insurance through Petsecure. There are several packages available that allow you to choose your coverage and the deductible. I know there are probably other companies, but I have always used this company.
We have a "Level 3" for each of the dogs. I was concerned about the fact that they are bulldogs and would likely have more trips to the vet than other breeds (these are my first bullies). We pay $70/month per dog... however, in the last year Wilbur had knee surgery (he was 10 months old) and other infections, Layla had a few infections (skin mainly)... they paid 80% for everything. So far it has been totally worth it. We don't have coverage for spay/neuter, or routine vaccinations (but there is also a package for that). In the future we will reassess the package we have and there is always the option to upgrade or downgrade....

The key thing I will recommend to you is to get your puppy a clean bill of health from the vet ASAP. No insurance will cover any pre-existing condition so don't wait. There is a form the vet will need to fill out...

Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , I live in Mississauga, ON, and I have 2 EB , a brother and a sister, they are 8 months old. Their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I got insurance when I bought my bulldogs, the breeder gave us a package to take home, with a bucket of food, coupons for different products, and there was 3 brochures for insurance. I called all 3 and asked questions such as what was covered, what the deductible was, and their prices. The day I got the puppies, I took them to the vet to be checked out, and I also asked the vet which company she recommended. She recommended PetSecure , and after calling the company and talking to the rep, I decided to get insurance with them. The lady I spoke to suggested the puppy wellness program, which is PetSecure level 4, this level is the most expensive at $120 per month, but it covers everything for puppies, all stool samples, puppy series vaccinations, rabies, leptovirus, deworming, heartworm testing, revolution for 6 month supply, spay, neuter, unlimited coverage for illness and unlimited coverage for accidents, including accidental ingestion, ( which has been invaluable for me , as my male Dozer is a billy goat and eats everything ), it includes $600 for dental, and some alternative and behaviour treatments as well. Also euthanasia, cremation, or burial, heaven forbid we should need it. again can't remember the $ amount, but you can go on line and see the different levels. The rep told me to start with this level, until all the puppy things are done, and then drop down to level 3 or 2. Levels 3 and 2 drop down to around $50 and $40 range, I can't remember the exact amount. It doesn't have the puppy wellness package, or the unlimited coverage, but it still covers dental, the alternative, and they still cover $5000 per year for illness, and $5000 for accidents. You are not locked into any of the levels, you can change them whenever you want, and their are no contracts, so can cancel at any time. They are pretty quick on processing your claim, and the money is deposited directly into your bank account, so no waiting for a cheque. There is a once a year $250 deductible, and they cover 80%.

I also heard from some people that Presidents Choice has its own pet insurance, and they are also good, I don't have any information on their prices, but you could google and find information on their website.

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am in the process of hunting for some now. I have online quotes for pet secure, trupanion and PC pet insurance. I need to really understand all the "fine print" items involved. I dont mind paying high (were always looking to budget better but somethings require extra spending) BUT I want to make sure I am not paying for a bunch of perks and premiums that will never really be used. I live in Toronto and if anyone can give good advice on what they suggest is the best bang for your buck when it comes to pet insurance for baby bullys, please let me (us all) know.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I am in the process of hunting for some now. I have online quotes for pet secure, trupanion and PC pet insurance. I need to really understand all the "fine print" items involved. I dont mind paying high (were always looking to budget better but somethings require extra spending) BUT I want to make sure I am not paying for a bunch of perks and premiums that will never really be used. I live in Toronto and if anyone can give good advice on what they suggest is the best bang for your buck when it comes to pet insurance for baby bullys, please let me (us all) know.

I live in Toronto and use Trupanion. They cover 90% of anything for Sumo. Although spay/neuter, vet checups and vaccinations are not covered. im paying a lot as well. about $120 a month, but this also includes coverage if she ends up getting hip displaysia.

I will likely drop down to a lower monthly cost soon, but DEFINITELY happy i was covered at the beginning, because they problems that i went through with sumo would have costs me THOUSANDS of dollars!!!!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I am in Ontario and have Petsecure on both my bulldogs ($53 per month each and its always going up). You definately have to watch the pre-conditions thing. When you sign up for the insurance, they get your dogs record from the vet. My dog had a minor yeast infection in her face wrinkle when I first got her (previous owner did not clean her wrinkles enough), so they ruled "all skin conditions" as not covered. So later when she had a reaction to vaccinations, that introduced allergies, (which show up as itchiness and rashes etc...), she was not covered. Also, I was given the 6 weeks free pet secure from the breeder, when the 6 weeks is up and you 'renew', you are not renewing, you are starting a whole new insurance policy so anything that occurred during the 6 weeks is considered a 'pre-existing' condition. Also is anything that you may have occur within the first couple weeks of the policy also will be considered pre-exsiting.

I am actually thinking of getting rid of it, since mine (Petsecure Plan #1 i think) is costing me $1200 a year (for both) plus the deductable whether I need it or not. I go to a 'integrative natural vet' so surgeries and drugs (for the most part) are not going to be performed. I am feeding high quality food and do what I can to keep them healthy; I dont think I will spend that much on them per year at the vets and if there is an accident or illness, just pay it, I proably will still come out on top - Especially since they have a Cap on how much they pay per condition per year (I think mine is $3000, but I am still spending $1200 + deductable).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's definitely worth putting them on the top level, puppy wellness, while they are puppies, then drop down a level or two when they get a little older, around 10 to 12 moths old.

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
on the petsecure website i cant see the puppy wellness part or is it just included in the level 4? also is spaying covered under that for sure i cant find it saying that anywhere

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Wow! Good to know! So you suggest pet secure is best compared to PC and trupanon?

I am in Ontario and have Petsecure on both my bulldogs ($53 per month each and its always going up). You definately have to watch the pre-conditions thing. When you sign up for the insurance, they get your dogs record from the vet. My dog had a minor yeast infection in her face wrinkle when I first got her (previous owner did not clean her wrinkles enough), so they ruled "all skin conditions" as not covered. So later when she had a reaction to vaccinations, that introduced allergies, (which show up as itchiness and rashes etc...), she was not covered. Also, I was given the 6 weeks free pet secure from the breeder, when the 6 weeks is up and you 'renew', you are not renewing, you are starting a whole new insurance policy so anything that occurred during the 6 weeks is considered a 'pre-existing' condition. Also is anything that you may have occur within the first couple weeks of the policy also will be considered pre-exsiting.

I am actually thinking of getting rid of it, since mine (Petsecure Plan #1 i think) is costing me $1200 a year (for both) plus the deductable whether I need it or not. I go to a 'integrative natural vet' so surgeries and drugs (for the most part) are not going to be performed. I am feeding high quality food and do what I can to keep them healthy; I dont think I will spend that much on them per year at the vets and if there is an accident or illness, just pay it, I proably will still come out on top - Especially since they have a Cap on how much they pay per condition per year (I think mine is $3000, but I am still spending $1200 + deductable).

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I couldn't say how it compares to those others, I never checked them out.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
We use trupanion with hip displacia for around 60 a month. Register as BullDog as English has a bit higher premium there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

We registered Kain at 4 months old or so, never used it yet but nice to know its there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.