Deer Antlers

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Hey, im from a rural area in canada where there is a lot of hunting and i was wondering if raw antlers worked as good as the store bought ones or if the store bought ones were treated with somthing or anything was different about them. Just wondering because we have access to tons of deer antlers but i wanted to make sure it was safe to use them befor switching from the store bought ones that seem to be very expensive if there is no difference. does anybody know anything about this or let their dogs chew wild antlers?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: yup..the raw ones are exactly the same! Just grind down any points. I would take small pieces off too. There are lots of ranchers that sell raw antlers online. The ones you buy are untreated too!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
you lucky dog you, you have those wonderful natural resources. just like Becky said, round off the sharpies and saw them to about a 10" length

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't know anything about deer antlers, but the comments above say you can, I would just wonder if ones in the wild would have disease or parasites?. Not sure

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Perfect, thats great news! shes going to be rolling in antlers now!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't know anything about deer antlers, but the comments above say you can, I would just wonder if ones in the wild would have disease or parasites?. Not sure

I'd say if you see a bunch of bugs to blanch in a kettle of boiling water for about one minute. no more or you'll dry it out and then it's no good, turns brittle. you want to keep the marrow in the middle that's where the Glucosamine comes from

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Maybe you can donate some for the monthly rescue auctions here. I'm sure someone will tell you how to do that and if you can get reimbursed for the postage.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK..... JEALOUS over here.....!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No way I thought they were treated too, I have access to tons of them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope..they are just minerals and vitamins..like hard versions of our fingernails! I honestly don't think parasites would be in them ..they don't deteriorate enough to be penetrable! We have some we found about 20 years ago..and they just get harder! Lol! Like petrified wood!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Oh yea they are hard we were at camp one year and had the deer hanging in the barn and one of the ropes snapped and the deer hit the ground antlers first. It's skull broke, not the antlers.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh yea they are hard we were at camp one year and had the deer hanging in the barn and one of the ropes snapped and the deer hit the ground antlers first. It's skull broke, not the antlers.

I grew up in Montana..the "Deer hanging" brought back visions of upside down nekked deer!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.