Dogie day care/ Socilazation

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I plan on bringing my 7 month old ebd for a few hours of dogie day care today. Not all day but for a few hours so he can play with some other dogs.. He is socialized and loves other dogs and people. I just want to give him some fun time because where I live he doesn't get a lot of opportunity to play with other dogs.. This place seems nice . I have toured it. There is an 18 inch water park pool area and the dogs seem to have a blast and they are kept in groups by size. demeanor. ect.. I on the other hand do not want Buddy to pick up any bad habits.. Does anyone else do this? Are there any pros and cons regarding this? Thanks

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Do you know if Buddy can swim? Most Bullys can't and 18" is pretty deep for a Bully. They are not usually taller than that.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
MM I asked this and was told some actually can although I will make that point when arriving. They are watched by people who are all over that place. I just do not want Buddy to come home with any bad habits like barking a lot ect.He barks but I do not encourage it at all. We have so many people here where I live that have dogs with behavioral problems and barking at people is one of the biggest.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
That is a risk you take and may have to deal with it if it comes up. truth

be aware is all you can do at this point, some dogs are more encouraged by other's behaviors, and some will just ignore

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I worked at a facility for about 4 years... it all depends on the dog if he picks up on any opf the habits. I say give it a try for few hours a day -- if he starts to show behviorial issues then stop. But, dogs are situational an will know, just like a toddle, who they can get away with what and when.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He spent 2 and a half hours at Barkerittaville lagoon playing with the other dogs. They said he did great and got along with all the other dogs there. They did tell me they had to pull him in for cool off periods each half hour due to how excited he gets. I swear if I had another puppy here for him to play with . he would play till he knelled over and died... Hero

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
LMAO @ "Barkerittaville Lagoon". OMG. I want to live there.

Bo loves daycare. LOVES IT. He can play and play and play. Bea, on the other hand, will focus on the people watching the dogs and that's how she gets her kicks. She might play a LITTLE BIT - but mostly, it's the new attention from new people that rock her world.

I used to take Bea to daycare two times a week when she was a pup; socialization, expose her to new people, new dogs, new energies, etc. We went to the Woodinville, WA PetSmart Hotel for daycare. We went for a few months, twice a week and the manager of the place pulled me aside one day and said, "You know, I don't think Bea enjoys this anymore." We talked about her behavior while there; follows around the people, sleeps, doesn't want to play with other dogs, gets snappy with LARGE dogs (fear based, I'm sure). We went down to one day a week and that was OK for awhile but we decided Bea just isn't a daycare doggie.

Bo is the exact opposite. He's like an Australian Shepard on Crack when he's there. They have to give him "rest times" too. LOL

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka LOVES daycare, and loves is an understatement. He wiggles so much when he figures out where he is he can barely walk.... His head hits his bum as he tries lol. He goes all day usually once a week and from the minute he walks in the door he passes out until i get home from work the next day. Just gets up to eat and i drag him out to pee before bed lol. And the staff there absolutely love him, they have a photography business and I get pics all the time! I think daycare is absolutely great for your bully if you trust the facility and staff!
These photos were taken during our first snowfall by Paws on the Run Photography!
a5u9yquj.jpg

3a3yzypy.jpg

qe9egage.jpg

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
That Day Care looks SO COOL we don't have anything like that near here. Dang, that looks like those dogs are in heaven. We would so be into that :2thumbs:

Cyndi

Aug 7, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ (English), CeCe (Frenchie)
Champ loves daycare! He goes every Friday because it's my longest work day. He is 6months old (this monday) and they put him with other puppies his size (28lbs). He is pooped out until Saturday afternoon!! I hope it continues to be a positive experience for him. I also love it because I don't feel guilty leaving him all day.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hero - same thing here, Izzy has been going to daycare since she was 12 weeks old. I found a place for small dogs (up to 25 lbs Mac) which is perfect for her since she is just a puppy. I do half days and it works so well for us and I have not noticed any bad habit or change on her behavior actually I think it helped her to potty train since she learns from other dogs.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It would be nice to be able to take Herman to a day care, of course I'd want to stay with him LOL I had planned on enrolling him in more classes, but so far scheduling isn't easy. Having something like Barkarittaville would be really cool though in this area!!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I know Elearn. I asked if I could stay there with him. lol they said Buddy won't be himself if I am there and he should be there with no leashs. owners ect. I can watch him on webcam at home if I wanted. Yes Buddy is going to go now each Friday for a few hours so he can play..

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Check it out Vicaroo, It is $20. a day for day care. This place even has flat screens for dogs and cats if they are boarded. My new vet owns this place. it is on 3 acres in Lake Worth Fl.

I've said this before and now I need to say it again; if there's such a thing as reincarnation, I want to be one of our prized, loved and adored EBs here.

Tonka LOVES daycare, and loves is an understatement. He wiggles so much when he figures out where he is he can barely walk.... His head hits his bum as he tries lol.

That second picture; what a keeper that is. That's a framer! You must enter that in one of the upcoming photo contests when there's a winter or snow theme. (Which might be right now actually....[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ? )

Knowing the "rules" at the daycare and knowing how the staff manages undesirable behavior is key to having a positive experience, I think. Dogs do learn from each other and that can go both ways but if the folks at the daycare know what they're doing; it's all good. Dogs learn what TO DO by learning what we DON'T want them to do; and that requires making mistakes so corrections can be made. Bea didn't like to play in the "big dog room" and they learned this by putting her in there. I'm sure someone watching on the "Dog Cam" (there was one in the lobby) could have come to the conclusion that Bea was just a snippy little beottch and "what the hell is she doing in daycare?" Having knowledgeable staff is key. For a time anyway, she played perfectly in the small dog room.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online