bully puppy not walking outside

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
I have a 4mnth old english bulldog who does not like to walk outside. Since we had to potty train him in home now we are transitioning him to make outside so he goes 1 and 2 inside on the wee wee and outside too. The problem is after he is done making he will not go for a walk and i have to pick him up by his harness and drag him and do not want to discourage him so im not sure what to do?? any suggestions. he is left alone for 6 hours in his puppy pen with his bed, toys, wee wee pad water and feeding..... that is his routine? any suggestions?

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I don't have any advice but I am in the same boat - 8 month bully who will NOT go for a walk unless it's under her terms. Very, very frustrating for me because I do NOT want to pull her along for the rest of her life!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN..... have you tried using treats to get him to walk... as he walks, give a treat with LOTS of praise?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I have a 4mnth old english bulldog who does not like to walk outside. Since we had to potty train him in home now we are transitioning him to make outside so he goes 1 and 2 inside on the wee wee and outside too. The problem is after he is done making he will not go for a walk and i have to pick him up by his harness and drag him and do not want to discourage him so im not sure what to do?? any suggestions. he is left alone for 6 hours in his puppy pen with his bed, toys, wee wee pad water and feeding..... that is his routine? any suggestions?

First of all, DO NOT DRAG HIM anymore! It will make him hate the walk and think of it as a negative experience. Matilda was the same way and now she adores walking. They freeze up because their scared to leave their "den" area. It's instinctual. You can show him the world isn't as scary as he thinks with bribery.

With Tilly, we literally made her walk step by step with treats. If your baby doesn't like treats, try string cheese (SMALL pieces). Bullies are stubborn but VERY food-motivated. He'll learn soon that he is safe leaving the "den" and will enjoy walks! Also, have you tried picking him up and carrying him down the street and having him walk home? He'll probably more inclined to walk to his safe area (home), as opposed to leaving it. Try bribing him with treats back home - and praise him like crazy - to start!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, treats usually do the trick, just be patient.

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
hello guys,

thank you so much for the friendly and positive advice..Sammy is very silly, stubborn and unpredictable boy because just after i wrote the message that night, after he ate, i took him out to make and guess what! he decided to walk! So after he ate i waited until he gave me a sign he had to make #2 and usually im fast enough to put the harness on but this time i wasnt so i just attached his leash to his collar and took him down to walk...he made outside and then i gave him the opportunity to smell around so we can maybe take a walk and i tug the leash just a little to get his attention and he walked i couldnt believe it! he is a little explorer so i took my time with him like always and succeeded to get him to walk around the block...So i thought maybe its the harness! bec sometimes it takes me time to get it on him, (i have to hurry to put it on and walk him down 15 steps to make) so i had my husband walk him today with just the collar and again he walked...your right HNHommand about wanting to go back to his den bec after i got him around the block he tried pulling back around to go home the same way we started! but of course i didnt let him bec im more stubborn then he is and its my way or not way! thank god im blessed with a very loving and nice dog! Ok back to the topic im going to try the treats now also, i thought about that but didnt want to over do it with the treats but i can give him carrots, low in calories good for him and he LOVE THEM!!! and i will also not pull him any longer bec i know it will discourage him so when and if i pull him it would be two or three times and if he didnt budge he would end up getting his way and going back home which is a few steps.... So the fact that he may i think like being walked on the collar instead of harness? is it really so bad? do any of your bullys get walked with a collar instead of harness??any recommendations? THANK YOU GUYS AGAIN FOR REPLYING I NEVER DID THIS BEFORE BUT I HAD TO GIVE IT A TRY FOR MY BELOVED SAMMY! THIS IS AWESOME! and i am knew to this so when i reply to thread that means everyone who wrote back to me will see this rite?:D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good, good advise here!

Bea didn't like walking either as a pup. I'd get her going a bit --- with dog cookies -- and she's put on the brakes and just sit there, looking at me. It's only when I discovered that HIGH VALUE treats worked that we started to make real progress. For her, canned chicken (which gave her hives in retrospect) and cheese was the ticket. I used the same treats for other behaviors on the walk that I wanted to encourage --- but I got her really walking good first. She's still not a walker like Bo. I take them on separate walks -- and together -- depending on their energy and mine. Bea likes to stroll and sniff. Bo likes to GO GO GO GO GO.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good, good advise here!

Bea didn't like walking either as a pup. I'd get her going a bit --- with dog cookies -- and she's put on the brakes and just sit there, looking at me. It's only when I discovered that HIGH VALUE treats worked that we started to make real progress. For her, canned chicken (which gave her hives in retrospect) and cheese was the ticket. I used the same treats for other behaviors on the walk that I wanted to encourage --- but I got her really walking good first. She's still not a walker like Bo. I take them on separate walks -- and together -- depending on their energy and mine. Bea likes to stroll and sniff. Bo likes to GO GO GO GO GO.

The walk is HUGELY important - even if it's short and sweet. It's your best opportunity to exhibit your leadership.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm a little late to the game, but I was having this issue with Remi. The issue wasn't the walk, but leaving the yard.

If we drive him to a park, he'll walk.

If we pick him up and carry him several houses, put him down, he'll start to walk.

We finally got him to leave the yard with his FAVORITE treats, using the term "let's go." At first he's like Augh. No. But then he's like... well... *sigh* okay. But you better give me a big piece.

Hope these tips help!

winston119

Mar 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston our 6 month old is a bit stubborn. he lately does not want to talk around the block rather he sits in front of my car and wants me to take him to the park. lol.. we have to start running to get him going.. and of course treats. our trainer mentioned we could possibly put peanut butter on a wooden spoon to get him to walk.

good luck

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had a bit of a chuckle out of this because some bullies just DO NOT want to exercise! My Linus, who is now 7.5, refused from puppyhood, to go on a walk. The result was either no walks or me trying to carry a 40 pound puppy around the block.

Linus won...now we just play inside to get our exercise! :D

Good luck with your baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online