Never judge a dog by his breed !!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Aww ive learnt a valuable lesson today.. We all complain how people judge our bullies sayin theyr stupid etc. Well ...im guilty! Not judgin our bullies of course.. But whilst walking Meeko we came across a pitbull. Now ive always known of these dogs to be vicious monsters and herd stories how theyr slowly killin the breed off.. So walking down the path i was panickin thinkin oh god do i pick Meeko up so he doesnt get eaten alive by this pitbull as Meeko wants to make friends and play with every1 and everything (some bein a little less appreciative of this than others!!) i decided to keep Meeko on the floor but keep him close by and even stood still so the man and his Pitbull could walk past. The closer they got the more the pitbull was starrin at Meeko.. Then he pounced towards him so playfully and dopey! (i was more than relieved!!) but he was so friendly and playful with me & Meeko. & ive learnt to never judge a doggy by its breed! Havin dogs like alsations before ive sworn its how a dog is raised not a type of breed but i panicked seein the pitbull and his long nose and beady eyes!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:clap: I have had 4 and we have one now, Jack. They're a wonderful dog but you'll never convince most people of that due to the bad rap they get mainly thanks to our biased media. They are a strong breed and overall do have a different drive there's no denying that. But like any dog some of their issues. I love this breed as so a few others here. They're not the monster every thinks they are. Would I be apprehensive too like you at first, sure I would if I didn't know the breed and they have a very intimidating look. I love love love this breed. :luv:

I found a doberman walking our neighborhood earlier this year (or was it last year), anyway, I passed him and then went, dang it! I turned around and finally got to him and boy did he surprise me. He was BIG. Next thing I knew he jumped into my car and I was outside of it. :hmm: now I had a BIG doberman in my car and didn't know a thing about it. He was a gentle giant. A real sweatheart.

Last edited:

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I dog sit two different pit bulls often at my house w/ my two Jack Russell Terriers, and Brutus my EBD. Both Pits are the sweetest dogs you could ever imagine. I posted a thread over the weekend of pictures with Remi playing w/ Brutus. I havea video too, but haven't figured that one out yet. I always say, it's the owner not the dog :) Glad you were able to meet a nice Pit

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm guilty of judging pit bulls.... at least the ones I've encountered, especially the ones down the street from me. There are 2 reasons why I feel this way about them: 1) a doggie patrol lady actually stopped me when I was out walking Herman. She said someone witnessed the owner of the brown pitbull pulling him into the woods by the neck, aggressively because the dog had run away from him. She said if he didnt want the dog for me to let them know she would take him. A dog with a violent owner is a signal about the dogs behavior. 2) Everyone that knows the owner of the black and white pitbull has said the owner has no control over the dog (I admit the dog looks as sweet as can be) - the dog basically pulls him down the street.

Then there was Jackson the pitbull puppy in puppy kindergarten. Everyone was skittish with their dogs around Jackson - mainly because the owner had no control over him...and allowed Jackson to attack a poodle.

Hmmm so, I think it is really me judging the owners than the dogs LOL

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I have a bunch of friends with Pits and they are complete sweet hearts, if anyone is looking for a good read about Pits I just finished a book called Wallace, it was a really good read. It's about a guy who rescued a Pit that was deemed "troubled" and was going to be put down and he turned him into a world champion frisbee dog

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My sisters pitbull Zoey is a sweetheart and she plays well with Otis. To be honest though she does still intimidate me just because of her size and strength. She'll get on my lap and hold me down to kiss me and I think, holy crap what if these weren't kisses, I'd never be able to get her off of me.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Pitbulls and most all of the "bully breed" (our beloved bullies included) can be so misunderstood and people judge them by how they look ... it's sad to me! I've have known some pitbulls that I would trust my life with, but when people would see them it's an automatic knee jerk response of fear :( I think Diesel & Molly have the sweetest faces but when I take them to stores like Petco or Petsmart there is always someone that will ask me "are they mean?" and I give them that brief WTH look and regroup and smile and say no they love everyone and let the person pet them to see for themselves that they are just little sweethearts, but it is at least for our bullie babies overshadowed by the 20 people to squeal a bulldogggggg oh how cute can I pet them maybe one day it will be the same for pitbulls I can only hope!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I once saw an English Bulldog in a fenced backyard.... My hubby and I worked on CATV so I automatically went goo goo gaga. Went over to the fence without thinking twice to give him a pet and gain access to their backyard. Well he lunged at me!! We had to leave a note to the owners to schedule a time to get access. Once I met the owners I knew it was the owners who made him that way.

It's the owners to fear, not the dog, they learn what they are taught. We had a pit bull named Missy and she was the sweetest girl ever.

We also came home to a pitbull in our yard covered in cactus. We were careful to make sure he was not vicious first! He ended up being the sweetest boy ever too. Actually I don't think I have ever met a mean pit bull yet. Because they have all been owned by good people!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have a bunch of friends with Pits and they are complete sweet hearts, if anyone is looking for a good read about Pits I just finished a book called Wallace, it was a really good read. It's about a guy who rescued a Pit that was deemed "troubled" and was going to be put down and he turned him into a world champion frisbee dog

Wallace is on my Christmas wish list! :clap:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree that a lot of the time it is how they are brought up .... owners can do a lot of damage!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.