Thread: First Girl Bully...I have a ?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu Mae
    Likes (Received)

Default First Girl Bully...I have a ?

I have had boy bullies in the past, but I just got my first baby girl! Lulu Mae is 9 months old, and hasn't been spayed yet, but I would like to do that in December. The breeder said she had her first heat when she was 6-7 months old, but they weren't exactly sure when. I would like to wait until she has settled into our home more before I put her through surgery (she will need soft palate surgery done at the same time). Also, I am a teacher, and if we wait until Christmas break for her surgery, I can be home with her in case there are any complications. I really don't want her to have a second heat, though, so I am worried about waiting until the end of December. She will turn 1 year old on Jan. 22. Given that she had her first heat fairly early, do you think there is any chance that she would have a second heat before New Years? I'm afraid I'm new to this whole "girl thing" and don't know if it is possible for her to have 2 heats before her first birthday. Thanks for any help, and I look forward to being a regular around here!

Tonya

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

The only thing I know FOR SURE is that they will still spay her if she's in heat. The recovery from just the spay isn't bad but idk about the palette surgery.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First Girl Bully...I have a ?

I do not have experience w/the females but let's tag some folks who do: @JeannieCO, @Davidh, @desertskybulldogs

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The chances are in your favor for her not to go into heat until after, but it is still certainly a possibility.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

I don't have any advice to give since Cleo was spayed before her first heat but just wanted to say 'Hi!' anyway. Hope timing is on your side though.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

they come into season every 6 to 8 months, so it could happen but I wouldn't recommend getting her spayed while she is in season due to the amount of blood and possible complications but trying to schedule it while you are home is a great idea and if it were me I would make those arrangements and hopefully you can catch it before her next cycle.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Emma was 7/8 months old when when she went into her heat. I had her spayed shortly after that. She's my first female in years and honestly I don't recall how soon the second heat cycle is. Worst that can happen I guess is that she goes into a second heat.

Looking forward to seeing more of you and Lulu Mae. to EBN too.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

If you do it at the first of your Christmas break, you should be fine, but there is always that possibility, but you should be fine to wait till then.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I can't help with the heat/spay, but the recovery time from soft palate surgery depends on how much tissue is taken out. The more tissue removed, the more swelling, the longer recovery. Laser surgery is easier on the dog than traditional surgery. Mack had laser, textbook palate clip, was under 10 to 15 minutes. He had no complications and was fully recovered right away. Chester had laser, lots of tissue removed, was under over an hour, had swelling and took over a week plus another vet. visit to recover.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu Mae
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies! I don't like having to wait for the surgery, but since I don't know how the palate part of it will go, I think it is probably best to wait until I can be home with her.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpgBoth Mimi (RIP) and Mila had palate surgery when they were spayed. No cones needed, neither of them had any problems at all. Make sure to find a good vet. You will barely even be able to see that there was anything done.

photo is Rudy and Mila camping
    Last edited by gobronco; 11-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I have a male and a female and they are brother and sister, from the same litter, they are both 8 months old.
    I had them both spayed and neutered last month when they were 7 months old. I did them a week apart so each could heal and get the TLC they needed. I did Blossom 1st as the vet advised us to, because they are brother and sister, and if Blossom had gone into her 1 st heat, I would have had to keep them separated, which would have been difficult with them in the same house. She also told me that if she went into heat, then we would have to wait 3 months before we could spay her, and again that would have posed a problem of keeping them apart from each other. I don't know the reasoning for this, but maybe someone else on here knows the reason? She also told me that each cycle that a female has increases the risk of breast cancer, I don't think this is true if they have babies, due to the hormones. Again I'm not 100% sure why that is. Your vet could also answer those questions for you. I am not familiar with the palate surgery, so cannot offer any advice on that, but again maybe someone here has been through it , and can offer help or advice. It is a good idea though to do the surgery when you will be home, so you can take care of her after her surgeries. Good luck, and hope everything goes well for Lulu Mae, and that she has a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you find out, and how it goes.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Remove Ads