First Girl Bully...I have a ?

LuluMommaTonya

Nov 13, 2012
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu Mae
I have had boy bullies in the past, but I just got my first baby girl! Lulu Mae is 9 months old, and hasn't been spayed yet, but I would like to do that in December. The breeder said she had her first heat when she was 6-7 months old, but they weren't exactly sure when. I would like to wait until she has settled into our home more before I put her through surgery (she will need soft palate surgery done at the same time). Also, I am a teacher, and if we wait until Christmas break for her surgery, I can be home with her in case there are any complications. I really don't want her to have a second heat, though, so I am worried about waiting until the end of December. She will turn 1 year old on Jan. 22. Given that she had her first heat fairly early, do you think there is any chance that she would have a second heat before New Years? I'm afraid I'm new to this whole "girl thing" and don't know if it is possible for her to have 2 heats before her first birthday. Thanks for any help, and I look forward to being a regular around here!

Tonya

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
The only thing I know FOR SURE is that they will still spay her if she's in heat. The recovery from just the spay isn't bad but idk about the palette surgery.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I do not have experience w/the females but let's tag some folks who do: [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The chances are in your favor for her not to go into heat until after, but it is still certainly a possibility.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I don't have any advice to give since Cleo was spayed before her first heat but just wanted to say 'Hi!' anyway. Hope timing is on your side though.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
they come into season every 6 to 8 months, so it could happen but I wouldn't recommend getting her spayed while she is in season due to the amount of blood and possible complications but trying to schedule it while you are home is a great idea and if it were me I would make those arrangements and hopefully you can catch it before her next cycle.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma was 7/8 months old when when she went into her heat. I had her spayed shortly after that. She's my first female in years and honestly I don't recall how soon the second heat cycle is. Worst that can happen I guess is that she goes into a second heat.

Looking forward to seeing more of you and Lulu Mae. :welcome: to EBN too. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you do it at the first of your Christmas break, you should be fine, but there is always that possibility, but you should be fine to wait till then.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I can't help with the heat/spay, but the recovery time from soft palate surgery depends on how much tissue is taken out. The more tissue removed, the more swelling, the longer recovery. Laser surgery is easier on the dog than traditional surgery. Mack had laser, textbook palate clip, was under 10 to 15 minutes. He had no complications and was fully recovered right away. Chester had laser, lots of tissue removed, was under over an hour, had swelling and took over a week plus another vet. visit to recover.

OP
LuluMommaTonya

LuluMommaTonya

Nov 13, 2012
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu Mae
Thanks for the replies! I don't like having to wait for the surgery, but since I don't know how the palate part of it will go, I think it is probably best to wait until I can be home with her.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
image.jpgBoth Mimi (RIP) and Mila had palate surgery when they were spayed. No cones needed, neither of them had any problems at all. Make sure to find a good vet. You will barely even be able to see that there was anything done.

photo is Rudy and Mila camping

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have a male and a female and they are brother and sister, from the same litter, they are both 8 months old.
I had them both spayed and neutered last month when they were 7 months old. I did them a week apart so each could heal and get the TLC they needed. I did Blossom 1st as the vet advised us to, because they are brother and sister, and if Blossom had gone into her 1 st heat, I would have had to keep them separated, which would have been difficult with them in the same house. She also told me that if she went into heat, then we would have to wait 3 months before we could spay her, and again that would have posed a problem of keeping them apart from each other. I don't know the reasoning for this, but maybe someone else on here knows the reason? She also told me that each cycle that a female has increases the risk of breast cancer, I don't think this is true if they have babies, due to the hormones. Again I'm not 100% sure why that is. Your vet could also answer those questions for you. I am not familiar with the palate surgery, so cannot offer any advice on that, but again maybe someone here has been through it , and can offer help or advice. It is a good idea though to do the surgery when you will be home, so you can take care of her after her surgeries. Good luck, and hope everything goes well for Lulu Mae, and that she has a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you find out, and how it goes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online