My Service Pup just alerted me! YEAH!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Some of you know that I'm training a medical alert bully for a heart condition that causes me to faint, and WE HAVE A BREAKTHROUGH!

Matilda is only 5 months old, and while she's doing great in training, a puppy is a puppy no matter what you call it. Although she has shown that she notices when my blood pressure is dropping, she hasn't reacted before I already know yet. They told me around 6 months is typically when she'll, well, care more and notice more subtle signs to alert me earlier.

JUST NOW, Matilda came tearing into the room barking at me really crazily. She NEVER barks, so I was really confused. Not five seconds later, my blood pressure plummets and I put myself down to the ground to faint.

I'm hoping this isn't some weird coincidence, because I can't believe she did it!!! Yeeahhhh!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow! That is beyond great! For you and Matilda!! I would love to read an article by you here that explains how you train her and how she oes as you go through this! I'm going to alert [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..I think he still looks for great topics!!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Congrats! I hope that's exactly what she was alerting you to. What an interesting thread and I hope to learn more, please keep posting.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Wow! That is beyond great! For you and Matilda!! I would love to read an article by you here that explains how you train her and how she oes as you go through this! I'm going to alert @Davidh..I think he still looks for great topics!!

I would love to read more about this too. Please write something up for us :begging:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I agree, a blog or an article would be nice, with a blog you could update regularly

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would love to get your story, so when she is trained and you can get some time please let me know if you would be interested in writing an article on this and I will post it for you.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Wow! That is beyond great! For you and Matilda!! I would love to read an article by you here that explains how you train her and how she oes as you go through this! I'm going to alert @Davidh..I think he still looks for great topics!!

Yes, I also would love to learn more about it. Impressive!!!!

Scout 775

Oct 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle Star & Bonnie
Sounds like Matilda is on the right track. My Belle is my service Bully. I have heart issues too. She knew, and alerted me & my Hubby before we knew there was a problem with my heart. She is Awsom!!! I've only had one time when she didnot alert me :(. We were at a party and everyone was playing with her. Her mind was not on me. Hubby was VERY upset... We now inforce that No One is to pet her when she is working. The " Service Dog, Do Not Pet" patch does not work. I have to tell people Repetedly " don't pet her" it's hard when your Bully is Sooooo Cute. Good luck. She will be great.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I would love to get your story, so when she is trained and you can get some time please let me know if you would be interested in writing an article on this and I will post it for you.

I would so love to!! There is so little information out there for medical alert/service animals in general - it's a little dream of mine to one day create a foundation that readily has this info since dogs can help us in so many amazing ways!

Someone told me before that a bulldog "cannot" be a service dog because they are "too stupid", so I am very pleased to prove him wrong. I didn't need a german shepard who acts like a seeing eye dog - I needed a dog who is perfectly okay with living in an apartment, who acts like a normal dog when "off duty", and just so happens to be able to do this amazing thing for me. And, of course, behave herself in public.

I would love to share our progress and how others with conditions like mine can get their own service bullies!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Sounds like Matilda is on the right track. My Belle is my service Bully. I have heart issues too. She knew, and alerted me & my Hubby before we knew there was a problem with my heart. She is Awsom!!! I've only had one time when she didnot alert me :(. We were at a party and everyone was playing with her. Her mind was not on me. Hubby was VERY upset... We now inforce that No One is to pet her when she is working. The " Service Dog, Do Not Pet" patch does not work. I have to tell people Repetedly " don't pet her" it's hard when your Bully is Sooooo Cute. Good luck. She will be great.

That is WONDERFUL that you have a service bully too! With heart issues (such as mine), it sometimes comes on too quickly for them to get the signal. The best I've heard of is the animal alerting 30 minutes prior to an episode, and I don't know about you, but for me, even seconds helps!

Haha, that IS the issue with having such a cute service animal - everyone tries to pet Matilda, too. I usually don't put the vest on her for that reason - it's just so difficult to keep people off of her unless necessary. Plus, I rarely take her in non-doggie areas, as she is still training. She responds to our training commands pretty well and when someone approaches I will just "release" the command so she can go say hi and do her bully-wiggles. :tongue:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I look forward to your article too!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Go Matilda! How awesome is that? It's a shame people say bullies are dumb. Neither of mine have been. In fact, Aubie is just as smart, if not smarter, than our family's Jack Russell... and those dogs are known to be smart (and crazy) little boogers.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.