What was you "ah-ha" moment when you knew a bully was the only dog for you?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
It seem most dog lovers have that one breed they are partial to and I was just wondering what everyone's "ah-ha" moment was. I can't think of a specific one for us but since I grew up with Bostons and Pugs I have always only had snub-nosed dogs. I personally do not find the long-snouted ones for me but my sister loves terriers so I love hers as well. It was my husband who wanted to get an EB and started the whole process going and fell in love with his mistress Cleo (she's the one woman I don't mind sharing my hubby with and in fact, I insist they get their alone time together!) When he showed me her pic I, too, fell in love and now that my 13 and 15 yo Pug and Boston are gone, EB's are the only dogs we will ever own.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
For me its the personality. They are more like a child than a dog. Mine is my main companion monday- Friday and I don't know what id do without him. I think he can relate easier than other breeds can and they are just so cute. My hubby was actually the one that wanted one not me but I turned around the minute I first saw tank. My hubby on the other hand now says his next dog will be a husky and not a spoiled brat that thinks its human :rolleyes:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I can't remember the exact "a-ha" moment b/c i was very young when I knew I wanted to have an EB. I might have been 9 or 10 years old. Now that I have my two boys, I feel like I've fulfilled that childhood dream.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Both for myself and Tom ... the "ah hah" moment was when we looked into Maggie's beautiful brown eyes and fell totally in love.

Can't even consider having a different type of dog from now onwards ..... :heart:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well...since I have our precious Dena Dawg..a non bully, I love Jake but I know we will always have many different dogs in our lives. We kind of have a family rule..You buy one...you rescue the next. Since we have one of each...that works for us!

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I know my husband really likes the lazy personality although he does sometimes wish he could go running with one. After getting Cleo, I too, fell in love with their personalities and quirks.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I had your everyday mutt growing up and she was with me for 17-1/2 years and when I lost her (from cancer) I was done with dogs, I had my son and of course throughout his childhood he had dogs and of course I cared for them but they were not my dogs I wasn't giving my heart to a dog again ... time went on and well 8 years ago I had decided it was time to open my heart up to a dog again but instead of it being a dog for my son, I wanted a dog for me so I started researching breeds that would fit into my life rather then trying to keep up with my new dogs life! I'm not big into exercise, I don't like to run or jog and simple walk works for me but not a long hike in the woods just a stroll through the park kind of walk so I needed to find a dog that didn't require a lot of exercise, so shortened the search to the wonderful flat face dogs ... I had seen lots of pictures of bulldogs and thought they were super cool but hadn't actually met one but after months of reading I had made up my mind that the stereotypical couch potato bulldog was the perfect breed for me, then the search for the perfect breeder started ... I went to my trusted vet and asked if he knew of any breeders he would recommend the name he gave me blew me away, it was someone I had known for the majority of my life, he and his wife were raising and showing bulldogs so found the perfect trusted breeder and I've never looked back, I will always have a bulldog in my life!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We had our ah-ha moment at what we used to call puppy therapy, there was a store that sold only dogs near us and they encouraged people to come in and play with them. They had pens setup in the middle of the room and I used to always play with the huskies and bernie's mtn dogs same with Jen. Then one day we went and there was this little mushy load of wrinkles that fell asleep on Jen's lap while we were sitting there, we were sold from then on. Plus the temperament suites us much more then a high energy dog.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
This is our first bully and our first "purchased" dog, we have always had rescues before. I'm a dog person, I've pretty much have had mastiff's most of my adult life and probably always will. We saw an EB at the dog park one day and that started us looking. Luckily found this site and all of you great folks and started our learning adventure. Now we have our new little bundle of wrinkles and she brings a smile to my face every time I think of her. She gets along with the others so well too. I'm betting that EB's are going to be a part of our lives from now on. :clap2:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I had never personally met a EBD until we bought a 2nd home in Northern Maine and became friends with a local who owned one. From the minute I met Festis I fell madly in love and couldnt help but sqeeze, hug and kiss his dog everytime I saw it. At the time we had a 15 year old retreiver/lab mix that was my husband's dog and with whom I soon feel in love with also - her name was "Girl". We didnt want to bring a puppy into the household, we wanted Girl to live out the rest of her life in peace. Last February Girl passed away and in March I brought Otis home.

Otis is the first dog I have ever had of my own, growing up we had St. Bernards and a Yellow Lab.

I am blessed every day that I have Otis in my life, he add's so much joy and fun. I would very much like to add another to our family but with the expense of an EBD we most likely will not. IF I win the lottery, that will be my first purchase....

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
[MENTION=2488]babybully[/MENTION], my husband's story is pretty similar. He is the one that insisted on an english bulldog, and the more we researched the breed, the more we realized it was the breed for us. When we went to the breeder, he only had 3 puppies on hand. One of them was already sold, but there were 2 we wanted to pick from. I was pretty convinced on the trip down that we were going to take home the female, but when we actually interacted with the puppies, Remi was a lot more affectionate towards us, and he was so cute and wrinkly. I think he picked us!

To be honest, I haven't gotten to the "aha" where I can only own EBs. I'm such a total animal lover all around. (I'm also having a hard time getting over the "sometimes I'll listen, sometimes I won't" with this breed,) but what I can say is his devotion and affection is really unparalleled to any other breed I've experienced. Seriously, there just isn't any competition.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online