Scared of his own shadow

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis is a chicken lickin....does anyone else have a scardy cat.

If a leave drops from a tree he's scared

He's scared after dark to go out and pee

If he hears ANY sound he is startled and whines

Honestly, he cracks me up.

Besides that I was wondering does anyone elses bully after they eat or drink run and clean there jowels and chin on the nearest rug, blanket - whatever they can find?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie has a notorious wet chin. We have a microfiber towel we keep nearby so we can wipe her chin after every drink or she leaves "chin art" on the couch, floor, me, coffee table, etc. She loves to take a big, long drink and come rest her sopping wet chin on my leg. :rolleyes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol, what's with the boys? My Bulldozer is a big chicken little as well, he gets spooked all the time. Any sudden or loud noise, and he jumps. The funniest was one day when my son tooted, and Dozer jumped , he got scared, we were laughing so much. Both my two get wet chins and food all over their chins, so we always wipe them after they eat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nah.... Banks just brings ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the water in the bowl with her to the other side of the room!!! :hissy:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Oh ya, Gio is scared of everything! His biggest fear..... PLANES! Yup, planes!! If he is out in the yard and a plane flies over, he runs to the gate or door...or barks at it!! Hilarious!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It's so funny that you asked this question! Earlier today I was thinking of posting the same question. My guy goes through phases, but yes, he is very much a chicken. He looks big and tough which makes it even funnier. Its the season for birds to flock and he is terrified of them. I could even get him to go out this morning. I had to put him on the leash and make him go! He just kept looking up in the sky and trying to go back to the door. LOL. Ever since we winterized the patio, he continues to keep one eye on the table cover and grill covers, like they are just going to get him! I just dont know how to improve the issue. I've never babied him or comforted him when he's scared, as I've read that can encourage the situation, but when possible I will try to show him that ________ won't hurt him, which does seem to help. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've had many dogs in my lifetime, but never a Bulldog until now. Unlike any of the other dogs, I swear he tries to understand and reason about things. I wonder if things that scare him are things that he just doesn't understand and can't comprehend. Does your dog act like he tries to understand things, too? How old is your dog? Tank is almost a year old, so I'm hoping that he will do better as he ages, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Cleo is my scaredy cat here. She's mostly afraid of inanimate objects that you are either carrying in front of you or a regular big object that is out of place. When Mac was going through his entropian nightmare I mentioned it to his opthamologist and she actually thought that she may have a touch of autism. I had no idea that dogs could even be autistic?!? They are also pretty bad with the water. I keep one bowl out in the garage so they can drip dry on the way back into the house and the other one in the basement bathroom (it's a finished basement so the door's always open to the kitchen) so that way they can drip on the tiles through the basement before hitting the carpeted living room. Usually still doesn't work though but it helps out a little.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
One funny thing about Aubie...

She gets scared of strange things, but when she does, she waits for YOU to protect her. In other words, you say, "what is it Aubie?" and she will show you. She will walk right up to whatever it is as long as you are with her. She won't touch it though, oh no no no! YOU have to pop it and tell it that it is bad and then she gets all big bad bully and will "attack" it (bark and paw at it, sometimes even gum it)... :ROFL: It is the cutest, most hilarious thing. She does this a lot with the standing fan in our bedroom and silly things she thinks "move". She will stare things down for 30 minutes after to make sure they don't move again so she can warn us. :crazy:

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

She gets scared of strange things, but when she does, she waits for YOU to protect her. In other words, you say, "what is it Aubie?" and she will show you. She will walk right up to whatever it is as long as you are with her. She won't touch it though, oh no no no! YOU have to pop it and tell it that it is bad and then she gets all big bad bully and will "attack" it (bark and paw at it, sometimes even gum it)... :ROFL: It is the cutest, most hilarious thing. She does this a lot with the standing fan in our bedroom and silly things she thinks "move". She will stare things down for 30 minutes after to make sure they don't move again so she can warn us. :crazy:

Her reactions goes back to what I was saying. It sounds like she is actually processing and reasoning and trying to comprehend the situation. These guys are just so smart <3 <3 <3

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is a chicken too, the wind, leaves falling etc and most of all a plastic garden rake.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven is a scardy cat too..lmao. Our 3 lb yorkie is leading the charge and Raven is in like umm don't think so. She is also famous for coming straight to me after she eats and wiping her mouth on me, every single day, then she burps in my face to share her love of her doggie kibble. Ick.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon will be afraid of it for about the first 5 minutes while he barks like a mad man at it doing the bully hop all over the place but will build up confidence then try to grab/bat/ram it. As far as wiping goes if you aren't paying attention after he finishes dinner he will walk down the hall into our bedroom or the guest room and wipe his face on the comforters that are draped over the bed which is awesome, especially when he does it to the one that needs to be dry cleaned.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
It's so funny that you asked this question! Earlier today I was thinking of posting the same question. My guy goes through phases, but yes, he is very much a chicken. He looks big and tough which makes it even funnier. Its the season for birds to flock and he is terrified of them. I could even get him to go out this morning. I had to put him on the leash and make him go! He just kept looking up in the sky and trying to go back to the door. LOL. Ever since we winterized the patio, he continues to keep one eye on the table cover and grill covers, like they are just going to get him! I just dont know how to improve the issue. I've never babied him or comforted him when he's scared, as I've read that can encourage the situation, but when possible I will try to show him that ________ won't hurt him, which does seem to help. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've had many dogs in my lifetime, but never a Bulldog until now. Unlike any of the other dogs, I swear he tries to understand and reason about things. I wonder if things that scare him are things that he just doesn't understand and can't comprehend. Does your dog act like he tries to understand things, too? How old is your dog? Tank is almost a year old, so I'm hoping that he will do better as he ages, too.

That is so funny. Otis is 10 months old. Yes, he does act like he understands things - he cocks his head when I try to tell him "that leaf wont get you...lol" I have no idea how to help with his fears - I've never experienced it in a dog before.

We laugh, he wont bark when he's scared he does like a closed mouth bark that doesnt let out much sound, it's like if whatever is scaring me doesn't hear me it wont get me.....

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Lol, what's with the boys? My Bulldozer is a big chicken little as well, he gets spooked all the time. Any sudden or loud noise, and he jumps. The funniest was one day when my son tooted, and Dozer jumped , he got scared, we were laughing so much. Both my two get wet chins and food all over their chins, so we always wipe them after they eat.

lol Tooting scares Otis too, he looks at you starteled like, what was that sound Momma, did you hear it too!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

How cute! Shes's the protector of you all from the fan....lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online