Tilly is afraid of heights?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
So, I posted before about getting steps for my 5 month old Tilly, because my bed is too high for her and she's getting HEAVY to lift.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Stai...id=1352783951&sr=1-2&keywords=pet+gear+3+step

These are the ones I got and they are perfect - the steps are wide enough for a bully, they were easy to set up, and they're perfect height for the bed.

However, Tilly refuses to go down them. She'll go up them if we bribe her with treaties but seems pretty okay with it. If I try to get her to go down, she whines and freezes up.

It's not just the stairs either!

She can get in the car (a little sedan) but won't get out. It's sooo low to the ground, but Tilly refuses and makes me pick her up.

Also, my couch is very low - maybe a foot off the ground - and Tilly learned to jump up, but will not get down. I keep finding her on the couch, stuck and crying :lmao:

It's so weird to me, because I live on the second floor of my building and she goes down the actual staircase just fine - carefully, but does it pretty well - and the stairs are much steeper than her bed stairs and obviously much scarier than my car or couch!

Anyone else have an acarophobic bully? :tongue: What can I do?

I'm actually afraid of heights, so I don't force Tilly down anything (I understand it can be very scary!), so I try to bribe her instead. Will she get more comfortable?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww. Tilly is cute. I think - like anything - practice makes perfect. Eventually, you won't be able to keep her OFF those stairs -- up and down~!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Once she gets overly excited for something... she will jump off on her own. Try to stand across the room with treats and LET her come to you for the treat

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
That's too funny I agree with 2bullymamma just keep trying once she gets over the fear she will be fine

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
That's hilarious, because, my goddog Lola does the SAME thing! Dexter is a jumper, up down...whatever. But not Lolabug....if she jumps on the couch and I get up and come back, she is standing there looking down @ the floor TERRIFIED. Could be cause my lil Lolabug is just a pretty princess, and demands to be treated as such.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353043272.731525.jpg

Here she is during her last vacation at casa de bully right by her aunt Jac (me) on the couch.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I think I am a little jealous. We have found Mila on our BBQ islands, kitchen table and our wine barrel table. She thinks she is superman. Still hoping she doesn't Darwin herself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 79

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meeko was the same.. he is 5 months too and weighin in at nearly 3stone i couldnt do it no more. So i just left him lol at first he would cry and i just ignored him until he eventually found his own way off the sofa and down the stairs! Hes a pro at it now xx

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Awww your babies are all so precious! I'm glad Til isn't the only one. I've tried leaving her, but I'm scared she'll go potty on the couch... hahaha

Plus it's just so sad to watch. She went up the bed stairs with no treats (but LOTS of encouragement) pretty well the other day! So down must not be far off.. right?

They're very sturdy stairs, I even used them to show her that they're safe... but she won't. :(

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
So down must not be far off.. right?

Ummmmm...... Well.... Good luck LOL!! Id still be pickin Meeko up now but with a baby in 1 arm and a bully in the other goin down the stairs it just wasnt safe! He soon learnt tho & i think they just test us to see how long they can get away with it for cos when Meeko had no choice he done it quite well whereas when id give in and carry him he wouldnt even go down the stairs with me encouraging him with treats x

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.