Does your bully still chomp your hand for treats?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,
Bongo has gotten better but he still chomps pretty hard when taking treats from our hand. Do you have a chomper if so what did u do to stop him?

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
When I first brought my pups home, I started from day one putting my hand in their mouth, taking food away when they were eating, and giving it back to them. I did this because I have a 5 year old grandson, and 4 four year old nieces and nephews, as well as a 10 month old nephew. I wanted to make sure they would be gentle with the kids and not bite them. When we give them treats, we just keep our hand flat open , because they can't bite an open hand, and they do get excited for their treats. I make them sit first, and then tell them to stay , then I put the treat flat on my open hand and give them the treat. I've taught my grandson to do this as well.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi there,

Matilda would NEVER chomp our hands for treats..... But she used to! We stopped her by not giving her the treat until she takes it nicely. The second she chomped, we whipped the treat away, and tried again until she took it nicely. She literally waits until we place the treat in her mouth, and handles it very, very carefully until we remove our hands (it's pretty adorable).

Lately she has been jumping to snatch treats out of our hands. So we're starting over with no treaties until we have nice manners. :) We also make her sit before she gets ANYTHING - food, treats, attention, etc. so that helps, too!

Good luck! Bullies catch on very quickly to what is acceptable once treats are involved.. hahahaha

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo is chompy. Making him slow down -- I say "GEN-TLE" (he doesn't speak English so he doesn't know what I'm saying but seems to know what I want from him) and he takes it down a few clicks. He's always been a "gobbler" so I also have to break his treats in half -- as he will sometimes NOT even chew them; just swallow.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is 20 months and has hit the terrible twos with being bitey. we are firm with no bites (happens when playing more than with treats). have to be consistent and everyone has to say no bite, or whatever it is you decide the word is

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When I first brought my pups home, I started from day one putting my hand in their mouth, taking food away when they were eating, and giving it back to them. I did this because I have a 5 year old grandson, and 4 four year old nieces and nephews, as well as a 10 month old nephew. I wanted to make sure they would be gentle with the kids and not bite them. When we give them treats, we just keep our hand flat open , because they can't bite an open hand, and they do get excited for their treats. I make them sit first, and then tell them to stay , then I put the treat flat on my open hand and give them the treat. I've taught my grandson to do this as well.

Love this, very good suggestions! I do these same tricks, except it didn't occur to me to have a flat hand. Duh!

M

mabel lou

I hold the treat so they may see it and then I close my hand and bend toward me so they see the backside of my hand and I say "be nice" and I turn my hand back around and if they decide to be quick about it again I have it in my hand to close yet again and repeat it all over again. My rescue girl is in training for treats this way, my other girl does it very nicely.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sometimes, but is is my fault as I get distracted by something and I am not paying attention to her excitment

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon has been known to do this at times, if we make his sit then say eeeaaaassssyyyy in a really soft gentle voice he takes the queue and is super delicate when taking the treat or whatever it is from you. Although when playing with Dad he does frequently chomp down on my hands, but that's a different story.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Absolutely not! I didn't allow that even as puppies. :D All three of mine are quite gentle and will not take the treat until I give the word if I make them wait for it. :up:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Diesel was the worst at chomping when I got him I swore he was part shark or alligator and he has left my fingers bleeding many times, I worked with him and had him completely broke from snapping his treat out of my hand, he finally started taking treats like Molly, she is so gentle and polite ... THEN ... Ally came into the family and she tried to take things meant for them away so they both started grabbing treats like swarming piranha so I'm working with all 3 of them again ughh!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online