Bongos 4am wake ups are killing me help.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352780189.490500.jpg
Hi all,

Bongo is almost 10 months old and he still gets up at 3-4am for a pee or poop. I've tried to take away water at 7 and taking him pee b4 bed but he still gets up. It's not to play when I open the crate he runs to the door so he has to go. This is his pic at 4am cute but sleepy anyone else have similar issues how long did your pups take to sleep through the night? Any suggestions would also be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooh..Dear! He should be able to hold it all night at 10 months old. Jake actually went all night at about 5 months. Is it possible he could have an infection? Urinary or bladder? If he checks out ok..I would start slowly letting him go longer..like stretch it by 15 minutes for a couple days working to an hour. Then keep going until he figures out he is a BIG BOY now!

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
OH MAN DO I FEEL FOR YOU! I was just there with Barley. I hated getting up at 4:30 or 5 am. That meant by the time i went down stairs let him out got back in to bed i only had a hour of sleep left if that. Half the time i couldn't fall back to sleep, or if i did it was 10 minutes before the alarm went off. PAINFUL!

Barley finally got it on his own. He just couldn't hold it. One of the things I did that made my life easier was to set an alarm for 2 or 2:30. I was letting him out on my terms and it didn't bug me nearly as much to let him out and be able to crawl back into bed and sleep for 4.5 more hours. I know that this is just personal preference but it improved my quality of life dramatically. Good luck.

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
One other thing, I started to wear him out before bed. Not just 10 minutes of play, i am talking about 30 minutes of wrestling with him. Tug of war. Fetch, he loves fetch. This seemed to make the biggest difference in training him to sleep through the night. Good luck

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda starting sleeping all the way through the night by 3 months old! She's 5 months now, still haven't had a problem since with nighttime potties. Tilly will sleep until we force her to get up to go potty! Go get him checked for a bladder infection. They're uncommon with males, but that is what it sounds like, if you're already restricting his water intake.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=5492]wouldtick[/MENTION]-nice to see you posting again!

With Lola she trained pretty easy to sleep through the night, she isnt a morning bully. I would check him for infection to and if that comes back clear than he has made a habit of waking up at that time. It might not be that he has to go real bad it might just be that his body wakes him up at that time because its used to it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=5492]wouldtick[/MENTION]-nice to see you posting again!

With Lola she trained pretty easy to sleep through the night, she isnt a morning bully. I would check him for infection to and if that comes back clear than he has made a habit of waking up at that time. It might not be that he has to go real bad it might just be that his body wakes him up at that time because its used to it.

BINGO!!!!!

I would say likely this is his learned routine. Break up the routine by letting him cry to go out a couple of times. Sure, be prepared for some accidents but if that is not time to go out, he will adjust.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I agree with Lisa. He's developed a habit and now you have to help him develop a NEW one! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our frenchie (Chelios) was doing this to me... I just held him in bed and made him go back to sleep.. it took a few days, but now he sleeps till the alarm clock goes off during the week and on weekends he is good till about 6;30AM

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Dont want to scare you but........Heff used to get up once or twice every night to go pee. We used to get sooooo frustrated and mad at him.....he ended up having kidney failure and had to be put down.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Thanks for the help all it turns out it was a stubborn bulldog trying to do wat he wanted after night to of telling him no go back to bed he now sleeps till 7am or later awesome. Thanks for every bodies help.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online