Has anyone ever heard this about bulldogs? ( too big. too fast)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I read this and look at my Diesel he is 3 years old and still only weighs in at 37lbs ... but he is the runt of the litter but still very small compared to most

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I read this and look at my Diesel he is 3 years old and still only weighs in at 37lbs ... but he is the runt of the litter but still very small compared to most

That makes me feel better. Ellie is 6 and a half months and right around 30lbs. Her mom was only 45lbs and her dad was 55, so I'm thinking she'll end up around her mom's weight in the 40-45lb range.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
That makes me feel better. Ellie is 6 and a half months and right around 30lbs. Her mom was only 45lbs and her dad was 55, so I'm thinking she'll end up around her mom's weight in the 40-45lb range.

both of my bullie babies are small ... Molly has that short stout box frame build so she looks petite but feel heavy she weighs in at about 46lbs but she is ummm how do I said it nicely ... she is voluptuous LOL

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. My vet said no there will be problems later on ( if there are problems) regardless. He said he was a beautifull bulldog and actually SAT on a exam room floor playing with Buddy for 15 mins or so as we talked. I mentioned grain free dog food and he wasn't too keen on that nor raw diets.. He said what he fed his dogs was Purina one something ( shredded chicken) I think it was. He said there is a lot of misinformation regarding bulldogs. He looked at his pedigree paper and when I told him Buddy came from Missouri he said Missouri is the state of Puppy mills. He also said Buddys lower jaw was a bit protruding which meant I believe that he wouldnt be a show quality bulldog but I wasn't looking to compete or anything like that. He said when a breeder says you don't want them to get too big too fast. they are covering their butts if there are any problems. I don't know.. I am going to slow up on the peanut butter and banana slices in the morning thou. I do not want Buddy to be fat. We saw these 2 bulldogs in the park the other day and I was so excited at first because I thought Buddy could play with them but the man and woman warned me that they were rescues and not friendly.. These 2 bulldogs were SOOOO BIG.. I mean from a distance they looked like a couple of wild hogs out there on the field.. Short legs and FAT. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
M

mabel lou

My second bulldog I ever bought was 10mths old and he was super. Well because he was hyper as the day is long from being kenneled all the time he also had a deformation about his foot. So I met her at the vets office because I ask her if I could speak to her vet about his foot. The breeder said yes and when I ask her why his foot was this way she told me he was not born with it this way but because of changing his food to quickly to an adult food and giving to much certainly had a helping hand in it. Now the breeder agreed and it really didn't affect his walking or playing it was more of an eye sore to me. The vet said that to get him on good food and keep his weight under control and he should not have any problems with his foot being turned out the way it was. I did ask the breeder why she changed his food to an adult food so soon and she explained to me that it was much easier to feed all of them the same but also told me she learned a valuable lesson from this happening as well. And because I adored him I was like ok and went on my merry way lol.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm glad you like your vet! It's an important relationship..and hopefully a really..really long one! But please know..most vets knowledge of dog food comes from what the sales reps tell them. It's really up to us to learn as much as we can and try to find the best food for OUR bully. Please read up on the Dog Ratings page..and How to understand dog food labels..I doubt you will feed Purina. While it woks for some..in comparison it's full of things your Bully doesn't need and lacking things he should have.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

Last edited:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Every bulldog is different some weigh more but still look lean while others weigh less and look bigger. Lola weighs 35 or so pounds at 5.5 months but she is tall long and lean she doesnt even look like a bulldog so i guess it just depends on the bulldog. I also would think twice about what food you give because this type of dog has a lot of yeast problems then other breads and in the long run it will cause problems.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mimi (RIP) grew too fast because we were over feeding her at about 6 months. She started squealing because her shoulder hurt. We brought her to a vet close to our house. He said she needed an operation. We took her to another vet. (30 miles away we had been to previously). He took X-rays and was thinking about surgery. He finally looked at her and said cut her food in half, she would be fine in a couple of days. He was correct, we kept her lean for the next 10 highly active years. Ok she did get 2-3lbs overweight in her last year or two. I believe the answer is, yes they can grow too fast if fed too much.

btw we still drive the 30 miles. Find a good vet stick with them

Last edited:
OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Jakeisgreat. I understand.. I feed Fromm's Surf and turf. I have read too many good things and too many experienced ebd owners feed grain free so with that- I do that same. regardless of my vets input.

M

mabel lou

That is very true about the vets knowledge of the food. Because yesterday the vet called me and ask me how Thelma was doing on the digestive food they had me put her on when I rescued her. I ask why because I have her on something completely different since all her medical issues have pretty much cleared up. So I told her it was good and it worked well along with all the medicines to so I am not really sure why your asking because that was awhile ago and she said well the sales rep stopped in and wanted to know how the food was working and she didn't have any feedback for him so they called me to ask. That is so weird that they would base this on the what the clients say, hmmmm made me think for sure

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.