Has anyone ever heard this about bulldogs? ( too big. too fast)

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi everyone. I wrote the breeder recently where I purchased my bulldog and sent her a few pics as well. I told her Buddy was doing fine and was 50lbs at the last vet visit. He is 7 months old now.. She asked me if I had a new vet. Which I do and see tomorrow for the first time.. She said I didn't want him getting too big- too soon. I am going to ask this vet tomorrow and I read that I think when I was searching around on breeders websites. Something to do with hip displasia possibly. I forgot. But has anyone ever heard this before? Is it valid? Thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is usually hereditary but recent research has shown that being overweight, injury at a young age, overexertion on hip joint at a young age, ligament tear at a young age, repetitive motion on forming joint (i.e. jogging with puppy under the age of 1 year) can also contribute to hip dysplasia. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Davidh. I am concerned as to too big- too quick. Not that I am not concerned with hip displasia. I am but I mean I was just wondering it this holds any truth or not. " You don't want a bulldog growing too fast" Thanks

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have seen several comments about that subject on this site. I recall one person advising not to feed large breed puppy food as it could cause them to grow at a faster rate. Faster growth doesn't give their bones and joints the necessary time needed for best development. I wouldn't worry too much, but do suggest discussing it with your vet. It may just be that with your bully's genetics he is just going to be bigger. My guy is 11 months and just topped 50 lbs. His dad is 63lbs and it looks like Tank will be a chip off the ol' block. Do you have any way to find out about your boys' lineage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Barley is 35 lbs at 6 months. His paws are still huge compared to the rest of him. His father was 65lbs. I read a few things surrounding the risk of having an overweight dog before their hips / knees are fully grown and the risk of increased injury due to this but that is the only thing i recall.

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I always kept my Mastiffs at a good juvenile weight, not over-doing it or over-feeding. I do the same now with my Bulldogs. It's better to gradually have weight so the bones can adjust to the weight at least while the hips and joints are setting. Not a vet, but my vet has agreed with this, so that's what we do.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet ascribes to the "too big..too fast" theory. She has lots of Bully's in her practice and says if they get too much weight too soon...it puts too much pressure and strain on their joints. Their bones aren't solid and fully able to handle the extra weight, especially while jumping and even playing. This can lead to freaky injuries and broken bones for seemingly no reason. She thinks a slower managed growth is ultimately the best for the Bully. Jake was put on an all stage food at 11 weeks and still is.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Bongo is 10 months now and at about 47lbs I think slow and steady growth is the key to good health. To big to early would put stress on the bones it's hard to stop a puppy from jumping and running but you can control hi weight growth. 50lbs sound about right in the range I've noticed Bongo weight gain slow down after 7 months. I think to stay nice and healthy 60-70lbs for a boy in my opinion is good depending on his height and parents all bulldogs are different though. Good luck and love him lots.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm going to tell you a story about Jack my non bully growing too fast. It almost cost him his life and he was in ICU for 5 days on a feeding tube. I'm short on time so I'll be back later. You can search "Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy" (HOD) in dogs. Just as in people of a dog grows too fast the blood circulation in the growth plates cannot keep up. It's not common for bulldog or Pitbulls but it happened to our pitty.

Last edited:
OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I see the vet in a few hours. I am so used to giving Buddy 5 or 6 banana slices with peanut butter smudged over them after cleaning him in the morning I am afraid this might have contributed to some of his weight gain. I reward him for letting me clean his folds and tail pocket and brushing him each morning. I may, like I said just have to put him on a diet. He eats Fromm's Surf and Turf for kibble and I also give him fat free or low fat vanilla flavored yogurt as a probiotic.. I am curious to see what this vet says. Supposedly he is very bulldog savy and I am lucky to be able to see him. It is only by appointment thou. he is the owner of the clinic and has 7 vets under him..but I wrote him and he said no problem. Thanks everyone. Hero

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
For a reward, you may just want to try a little piece of the kibble. Sometimes they just don't really care what they get it as long as they get something. Giving them every reward when you're doing their folds or training is good. My guys just get kibble and they're quite happy with that. I'm sure the bananas with peanut butter have contributed to the weight gain if you given him that much everyday. :laugh:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was right around the same weight at 7 months and has pretty much stayed there give or take 5-8 lbs and he is 11 months now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online