Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever heard this about bulldogs? ( too big. too fast)

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Has anyone ever heard this about bulldogs? ( too big. too fast)

Thanks everyone. I see the vet in a few hours. I am so used to giving Buddy 5 or 6 banana slices with peanut butter smudged over them after cleaning him in the morning I am afraid this might have contributed to some of his weight gain. I reward him for letting me clean his folds and tail pocket and brushing him each morning. I may, like I said just have to put him on a diet. He eats Fromm's Surf and Turf for kibble and I also give him fat free or low fat vanilla flavored yogurt as a probiotic.. I am curious to see what this vet says. Supposedly he is very bulldog savy and I am lucky to be able to see him. It is only by appointment thou. he is the owner of the clinic and has 7 vets under him..but I wrote him and he said no problem. Thanks everyone. Hero

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

For a reward, you may just want to try a little piece of the kibble. Sometimes they just don't really care what they get it as long as they get something. Giving them every reward when you're doing their folds or training is good. My guys just get kibble and they're quite happy with that. I'm sure the bananas with peanut butter have contributed to the weight gain if you given him that much everyday.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Bacon was right around the same weight at 7 months and has pretty much stayed there give or take 5-8 lbs and he is 11 months now.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I read this and look at my Diesel he is 3 years old and still only weighs in at 37lbs ... but he is the runt of the litter but still very small compared to most
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    I read this and look at my Diesel he is 3 years old and still only weighs in at 37lbs ... but he is the runt of the litter but still very small compared to most
    That makes me feel better. Ellie is 6 and a half months and right around 30lbs. Her mom was only 45lbs and her dad was 55, so I'm thinking she'll end up around her mom's weight in the 40-45lb range.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spork3127 View Post
    That makes me feel better. Ellie is 6 and a half months and right around 30lbs. Her mom was only 45lbs and her dad was 55, so I'm thinking she'll end up around her mom's weight in the 40-45lb range.
    both of my bullie babies are small ... Molly has that short stout box frame build so she looks petite but feel heavy she weighs in at about 46lbs but she is ummm how do I said it nicely ... she is voluptuous LOL
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Maybe try bananas WITH OUT peanut butter!
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. My vet said no there will be problems later on ( if there are problems) regardless. He said he was a beautifull bulldog and actually SAT on a exam room floor playing with Buddy for 15 mins or so as we talked. I mentioned grain free dog food and he wasn't too keen on that nor raw diets.. He said what he fed his dogs was Purina one something ( shredded chicken) I think it was. He said there is a lot of misinformation regarding bulldogs. He looked at his pedigree paper and when I told him Buddy came from Missouri he said Missouri is the state of Puppy mills. He also said Buddys lower jaw was a bit protruding which meant I believe that he wouldnt be a show quality bulldog but I wasn't looking to compete or anything like that. He said when a breeder says you don't want them to get too big too fast. they are covering their butts if there are any problems. I don't know.. I am going to slow up on the peanut butter and banana slices in the morning thou. I do not want Buddy to be fat. We saw these 2 bulldogs in the park the other day and I was so excited at first because I thought Buddy could play with them but the man and woman warned me that they were rescues and not friendly.. These 2 bulldogs were SOOOO BIG.. I mean from a distance they looked like a couple of wild hogs out there on the field.. Short legs and FAT. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by hero4u; 11-13-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: mispelling

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

I just found this and thought it an interesting read http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.ed...ge.php?id=1104

mabel lou

My second bulldog I ever bought was 10mths old and he was super. Well because he was hyper as the day is long from being kenneled all the time he also had a deformation about his foot. So I met her at the vets office because I ask her if I could speak to her vet about his foot. The breeder said yes and when I ask her why his foot was this way she told me he was not born with it this way but because of changing his food to quickly to an adult food and giving to much certainly had a helping hand in it. Now the breeder agreed and it really didn't affect his walking or playing it was more of an eye sore to me. The vet said that to get him on good food and keep his weight under control and he should not have any problems with his foot being turned out the way it was. I did ask the breeder why she changed his food to an adult food so soon and she explained to me that it was much easier to feed all of them the same but also told me she learned a valuable lesson from this happening as well. And because I adored him I was like ok and went on my merry way lol.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad you like your vet! It's an important relationship..and hopefully a really..really long one! But please know..most vets knowledge of dog food comes from what the sales reps tell them. It's really up to us to learn as much as we can and try to find the best food for OUR bully. Please read up on the Dog Ratings page..and How to understand dog food labels..I doubt you will feed Purina. While it woks for some..in comparison it's full of things your Bully doesn't need and lacking things he should have.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...g-Food-Ratings

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ad-Ingredients
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Every bulldog is different some weigh more but still look lean while others weigh less and look bigger. Lola weighs 35 or so pounds at 5.5 months but she is tall long and lean she doesnt even look like a bulldog so i guess it just depends on the bulldog. I also would think twice about what food you give because this type of dog has a lot of yeast problems then other breads and in the long run it will cause problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads