Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hi everyone! So we are looking at a few bulldogs in New England who are in rescues. But I do have a few questions and concerns.

1) Is there a big difference between owning 2 dogs and 3 (besides the extra mouth to feed and the extra vet bills)?
2) We are worried that Gio or Diva might be depressed if there is another dog taking away some attention (obviously I would try my hardest to give them some equal 1 on 1 time as well).
3) If we did get another one, what gender would you recommend? Gio is 2 and very playful and loves all other dogs, but he does get a bit crazy when he plays. Diva is 4 and is more timid around other dogs, she plays with Gio but it takes her awhile to warm up to other dogs.
4) And I am worried that two of them would pair up and leave 1 out!

Sorry if these questions are ridiculous! I just really want to know what I am getting myself into if we do decided to rescue 1 more!

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We only have 2 at the moment. I can tell you from our experience. YES..having 3 dogs instead of 2..is like having 3 children instead of 2! Once you are outnumbered..its dangerous!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I think it depends on the personalities of your dogs..some are easy ..some are not. Whatever you decide..:up:

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi everyone! So we are looking at a few bulldogs in New England who are in rescues. But I do have a few questions and concerns.

1) Is there a big difference between owning 2 dogs and 3 (besides the extra mouth to feed and the extra vet bills)?
2) We are worried that Gio or Diva might be depressed if there is another dog taking away some attention (obviously I would try my hardest to give them some equal 1 on 1 time as well).
3) If we did get another one, what gender would you recommend? Gio is 2 and very playful and loves all other dogs, but he does get a bit crazy when he plays. Diva is 4 and is more timid around other dogs, she plays with Gio but it takes her awhile to warm up to other dogs.
4) And I am worried that two of them would pair up and leave 1 out!

Sorry if these questions are ridiculous! I just really want to know what I am getting myself into if we do decided to rescue 1 more!

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Those are excellent questions you should be asking if you're seriously thinking of adding a 3rd.

1. Yes there is a big difference when you have 3 vs 2. Your pack will change and it could become a balancing act. I'm experiencing this myself right now. It's not all good either.

2. This could happen and it has with Wilson to an extent. Emma and Jack buddied up right away which left Wilson as a whole off to the side. Sure they all play together and all but overall it's just Emma and Jack and Wilson is by himself. This has caused an unbalance in my pack. I'm currently working with them.

3. Is Gio a male? Does Diva just not warm up or like you said it just takes her a bit. You could be in for some trouble if she doesn't accept the new additions. Since I think you already have a male and a female, I'm not really sure which would be a better fit, male or female. My hubby always said that adding a female to an all male pack like we had is generally always an issue and it is.

4. See my response to #2. Yes this will happen just like it does with humans. Two will generally always buddy up leaving the other just on the outside. Sure they'll be a pack but my belief and experience is that two are always drawn to each more.

Three is a lot of work and balance. At times it spreads me a bit thin on giving them their individual time but I wouldn't change it. I would never do three puppies in less than a year's time again though - OMG that was just insane.

I'm going to tag [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] too since she has 5.

Thanks Becky!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Omg we just went thru his last year. Went thru so many feelings after getting Miila. My reason was I didn't want just 2. If Something happens to 1 the other is alone. Couldnt have that so had to get a 3rd. Miila. Lets just say it took some adjusting being that she was 1 and Cutty and mugsy were 5. She started being aggressive (looking to become alpha) and I felt like I united heir lives instead of helping. Now, Having often thru it, I only ave 1 complaint in having 3 pups.... I only ave 2 hands. Lol they do a rotation for petting tho so that is ok. My suggestion in bringing another would be to set strong guidelines in that you r pack leader so you don't go thru the fighting.

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! Yes Gio is a male, and Diva will interact with other dogs every day and is fine around them, she just could care less. There is an English Bulldog up the street who we will dogsit for and she is fine with her in the house. And I figured another girl would be a better fit then anther boy. But of course one of the dogs we are looking at is a boy, the only reason why I emailed for "Tank" is because the bio says this:

" He is with my ex husband since our divorce and he is looking to put him to sleep because he does not have the time to take care of him.....He is currently staying in a basement and does not get outside often."

So of course I want that dog out of that situation right away, so we did email them tonight to see if he has been adopted yet! But I guess we will have to wait and see!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know that you went through mixed feelings, I feel so torn!!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! Personality is definitely a big concern, for the two that we have looked into the first question we asked was how they are around other dogs and their personality!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! Yes Gio is a male, and Diva will interact with other dogs every day and is fine around them, she just could care less. There is an English Bulldog up the street who we will dogsit for and she is fine with her in the house. And I figured another girl would be a better fit then anther boy. But of course one of the dogs we are looking at is a boy, the only reason why I emailed for "Tank" is because the bio says this:

" He is with my ex husband since our divorce and he is looking to put him to sleep because he does not have the time to take care of him.....He is currently staying in a basement and does not get outside often."

So of course I want that dog out of that situation right away, so we did email them tonight to see if he has been adopted yet! But I guess we will have to wait and see!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know that you went through mixed feelings, I feel so torn!!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] thanks for the reply! Personality is definitely a big concern, for the two that we have looked into the first question we asked was how they are around other dogs and their personality!!

I honestly felt the same getting mugsy too. Guilty like mad. Wouldn't take any of it back for anything. We over think things beyond what they do.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JeannieCO thanks for the reply! Yes Gio is a male, and Diva will interact with other dogs every day and is fine around them, she just could care less. There is an English Bulldog up the street who we will dogsit for and she is fine with her in the house. And I figured another girl would be a better fit then anther boy. But of course one of the dogs we are looking at is a boy, the only reason why I emailed for "Tank" is because the bio says this:

@cali~jenn thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know that you went through mixed feelings, I feel so torn!!

@JAKEISGREAT thanks for the reply! Personality is definitely a big concern, for the two that we have looked into the first question we asked was how they are around other dogs and their personality!!

:ohmy: I would be just like you...getting that poor dog and hoping the ex husband goes to sleep...WITH THE FISHES!!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
We have 3, my two bulldogs and a chocolate lab. they are all 3 years old and just months apart .. Ally the lab is the oldest having been born in March then Molly born April and Diesel born June; Diesel was the first to come into our family then Molly and finally Ally. The girls Molly & Ally get along great and love to run and play all the time which leaves poor Diesel out because he can't run as fast or keep up during their crazy play sessions so he sometimes gets an attitude and tries to bite at them as they run past which always leads to play time being called to a stop so no fights can start. Having 3 dogs takes a lot more energy on our part, you have to be on top of the rules boundaries and limitations 100% of the time to keep the balance in the household ... you have more mouths to feed, so buying good food makes a bigger dent in the pocket book, more money spent at the vet for shots and year exams alone not to mention any "oh crap moments", more poop to scoop, I totally didn't think of that but it is a lot more scoopin LOL , for house keeping, cleaning up after 3 dogs means more toys thrown about, more dog hair to sweep and more water spots to wipe up. So now that I've said all that, don't forget their is more unconditional love coming your way!!!! but if you are ready to go into having more dogs and understand that bringing in another dog will be a big investment of time, love and money and you still want to do it, I say dive right in. When you introduce the dogs, make sure to take them on a pack walk in a neutral territory, make sure ALL 3 dogs walk behind you so they understand from the very first second YOU are the pack leader and only you, and that NON of them rank any higher in the pack hierarchy then the other, once home set the rules, boundaries and limitations and stick to them and remember that consistency consistency consistency is the name of the game!!! you did ask for honest right? anyways I hope I didn't scare you but it's a lot to take on and if you are prepared it can be a great experience! good luck, keep us posted.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
we have 3 dogs, all female, two are english bulldogs. We don't have "fights" among them, but Bella loves to Alpha them with standing over them.

Our situation is different, Bella was very sick when she came into the house, so the older two just ignored her, wouldn't have anything to do with her. They all get along, but the older two are not playful due to age.

I don't think I would have 3 dogs again. Nothing specific, just a lot of work.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have three males, Sebastian and Oliver came first and they are litter mates and almost 2. Remy came earlier this year and he just turned 1. Sebastian claims the alpha dog position with the other two at times and it causes fights. They don't leave one out though, Remy is an equal opportunity player, which ever one he wants to play with he will and they will usually play back. Having three is more work and I have to be vigilant right now when Sebastian starts to get that "crazy" look in his eye, the spray bottle and a firm "no" can usually stop it from going further. I couldn't imagine ever having just one or even two anymore, I'm even planning on a fourth someday down the road when a certain little stud muffin produces, *ahem [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]* :happydance:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm not sure my situation applies but here it is. I have 3 fulltimers and lately one part timer or another. Roxy is an old lady and she doesn't have patience for the playing business, she is the whole reason I wanted Otis. I wanted someone for Abby to play with. Abby and O play together all the time which is great.

For the past 2 months or so I have been fostering for Mid Atlantic Bulldog Rescue. I've had 2 fosters in my house so far. Chloe was great with Abby and O most of the time. Sometimes she tried to dominate Abby but she was quickly put in her place. Right now I have Knuckles. He tries but me thinks he is too fat to play. He mostly sits and watches. Every once in a while he will get a burst of energy that lets him run from one side of the room to the other chasing a ball or something but then he needs a nap :ROFL::ROFL: When there is a foster here I don't let them play unsupervised.

I think it all depends on the temperment of the dogs and how much time you are willing to put in to babysitting.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.