Cutting bully tails

M

mabel lou

I was on vacation with family and we met this lady while at the hotel. My nephew said that is sooooooooooo mean to the lady and she gave him the lecture of how puppies do not feel pain like a older dog would as long as it is done in the first three days of their life.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How do they not feel pain as a baby?? Must cause their only a few days old doesn't mean they don't have feelings :( I wouldn't be able to alter my animals for looks only altering done here is spay or neuter poor babies :(

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I was at the park today and I met another bully owner. She had a 4 yr old female bully. She asked me where I got Herman, etc (I believe she was about to lecture me about buying from a pet store) and general convo. But then she asked me about Herman's tail: "You didn't cut his tail?" I didnt think much about it and I just said "Um, no they are born with short tails" Then I looked at her dog's tail and saw it was pretty short (it was a straight short tail that ended above the booty hole) and didnt think much of it. We went on our separate ways...

So during the rest of the day as I am struggling to keep Herman's butt clean beneath his tail flap - it dawned on me that I believe she had cut her bully's tail!! I know I'm slow (LOL) but that must be why she asked as she seemed shocked I didnt cut Herman's tail. I dont think it was because of health reasons that she cut it because she seemed pretty surprised that Hermans wasn't cut or it wasnt whatever her perceived length/style that she felt it should be.

She got her bully from a breeder - would a breeder have opted to cut their dogs tails???? I'm hoping this isnt common.

Yes, a lot of bully owners do cut their doggies tails. Some breeders do it to avoid having tail pocket issues - like if the pocket is especially deep. My vet told me that he cuts at least one bully tail every month due to the owner not cleaning them properly :(

Matilda was from a breeder and has her tail. The breeder stressed pocket-cleanliness, so it hasn't been an issue. But I can definitely understand why a breeder would just cut them - not everyone is as responsible as we are and it's such a hard area to keep clean.

EDIT: I've never heard of anyone cutting a BULLY's tail for looks... just the tail-pocket issue!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Some breed of dogs have "docked" tails. If the tails are not naturally docked, meaning born short, then the tails will be docked at birth. We used to raise Australian Shepherds many years ago when I was a child. While many of the pups would be born with short tails, if one wasn't then my dad would dock it. The pup would cry a bit, but not too bad so I don't think it was too terrible. I had heard of the string method before, too. While it does work, it seems much worse to me. I suppose tail docking a pup is similar to circumcising a baby. It does hurt, but they don't remember it - sorry, but that's kind of the best comparison I can think of. Now, as far as the EB breed, according to our breeder, all tails are naturally docked but can be different lengths or types and should not be altered in any way, even if long. As an adult dog, their tails may be surgically removed if there is a real problem keeping their tail pockets clean and healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Olde English Bulldogges normally get their tails docked when they are 2 or 3 days old. Normally it is docked to a two and a half inch to 3 inch "pump handle". We are getting an OEB puppy and would have to select that puppy when it is still at the rodent stage to avoid docking. If the puppy is born with a short straight tail which rarely happens with OEBs, then the breeder won't have it docked. I was offended by this docking practice and talked with 3 breeders about it. They all do it automatically.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Omg u can not judge the length of their tails as a baby litterally Porkchops tail was like 8 inches long as a puppy n looked retarded but she's grown into it n it's perfect for her now ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.