Cutting bully tails

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I was at the park today and I met another bully owner. She had a 4 yr old female bully. She asked me where I got Herman, etc (I believe she was about to lecture me about buying from a pet store) and general convo. But then she asked me about Herman's tail: "You didn't cut his tail?" I didnt think much about it and I just said "Um, no they are born with short tails" Then I looked at her dog's tail and saw it was pretty short (it was a straight short tail that ended above the booty hole) and didnt think much of it. We went on our separate ways...

So during the rest of the day as I am struggling to keep Herman's butt clean beneath his tail flap - it dawned on me that I believe she had cut her bully's tail!! I know I'm slow (LOL) but that must be why she asked as she seemed shocked I didnt cut Herman's tail. I dont think it was because of health reasons that she cut it because she seemed pretty surprised that Hermans wasn't cut or it wasnt whatever her perceived length/style that she felt it should be.

She got her bully from a breeder - would a breeder have opted to cut their dogs tails???? I'm hoping this isnt common.

M

mabel lou

I met a breeder yrs ago in Georgia and she told me that she in fact cut the tails if to long. Actually I had never heard of it before and she told me when they are born if the tail is to long she will tie a string around it until it falls off OMG I just about died when she told me this. She said they don't feel it and it should only be done when they are a few days old. It seems like to me that pain is pain and I cannot understand how a person can do such a thing, i was speechless

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure, mine were born with a short curly tail, but I think some breeders and people do crop or cut their tails, and some will do ears as well. I myself wouldn't because they were born that way, so I wouldn't change it, and it probably hurts the dog. I think some people do it because they show their dogs, but my dogs are just my pets so they look good to me.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ive always wondered about this on if their born with hardly any tail or not. Tanks tail is like how you explained that lady's dogs but if I remember right the litter he came from had all different looking tails..

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Their tales just come in all different lengths and curl or no curl! They are born with the tail they are SUPPOSED to have! Poor Bully!! They shouldn't be cut! :(

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Pan's tail is a straight little nub, just perfect. The vet checked for scar tissue to make sure it wasn't cut because it looked so good. I know that some breeds do get their tails cropped, but EBs are not one of them.

I know there was another thread where someone with a bully asked about cutting her dogs tail because she felt it was to long. I think she was discouraged when everyone told her they don't get cropped.

Some people just don't realize they are born this cute!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo has a long tail - easy to clean and maintain under there.
Bea has a short itty bitty tail and a tail pocket you'd could park a Cadillac in. Requires constant maintenance.

But they were both the tails they were born with. I've never heard of that either. But then remember when all dobermans has their ears and tail done as a matter of course?

M

mabel lou

She cut the blood circulation off is what she said, never seen her do this but thought it was weird and cruel. But this was just being told to me.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I met a breeder yrs ago in Georgia and she told me that she in fact cut the tails if to long. Actually I had never heard of it before and she told me when they are born if the tail is to long she will tie a string around it until it falls off OMG I just about died when she told me this. She said they don't feel it and it should only be done when they are a few days old. It seems like to me that pain is pain and I cannot understand how a person can do such a thing, i was speechless

But too long for what?????? I dont think the breed standard specifies the length of the tail, just the shape(s). So I am not sure what it would be too long for...???

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm not sure, mine were born with a short curly tail, but I think some breeders and people do crop or cut their tails, and some will do ears as well. I myself wouldn't because they were born that way, so I wouldn't change it, and it probably hurts the dog. I think some people do it because they show their dogs, but my dogs are just my pets so they look good to me.

Thank god it is illegal to cut, tie or mutilate an animal any way in Finland for any reason.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
What the :cursing: falls off?????????????? hmm don't think so, too bad you don't remember her name you could report her

M

mabel lou

I know and she expressed her opinion of dislike in tails outside of the stubby look. That was her reason for this. But again this was just conversation. I do remember one time that a friend of mine took her 9mth old poodle to the vet and he actually cut it down to a stub and omg that little girl was in so much pain not to mention that it got infected. Now the vet said that was an unusual request however he did do it. But the owner (new) to the puppy did not like that it was a poodle with a long tail. I felt bad for the puppy but the new owner was happy once healed. People do the craziest things to make an animal look what they believe to be normal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.