Dog Park Dog Owners

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I love to go to the dog park but I am always watching Izzy like a hawk! Every step, every encounter every move! I try to let her defend herself and learn bounderies from other dogs.... but the reason I am less "hands on" is because I take her to a small place where all dogs seem to have great owners by my house here in Houston.

On another note I had a bad experience at a dog park with a friend's dog several years ago, this black labrador attacked her dog and bit his ears, we ended up at the emergency hospital on a Sunday afternoon. The vet told us that he lost track of how many dogs come there on Sunday's with bites or problems that happened in the dog park....

So I guess we just need to be careful and aware of our dog! We know our babies better than anybody else and we know when they can possibly get in trouble. You were reading Remi's reactions like a book so you knew when he was tired or being attacked and the right time to step in and take action!

:) But I can totally see me as the lady that wants to teach somebody a lesson of "responsible dog ownership" to a person that is completely unaware of their dogs!!!!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Oh just another comment... here in Houston we have this place that is a dog park/bar and just the fact that people are drinking alcohol and letting their dogs play unleashed already sounds like a red flag! I read reviews on them online and it was dead on... several people complaining that the owners dont check their dogs as they are there to socialize and drink. The idea sounds great but it's mixing two things that not necessarly should be mixed.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
We are lucky the park by us has a little dog and big dog area, and at least those of us in the mornings have all gotten to know each other and each others dogs. Sometime play does turn a little rough, but we are all paying attention and don't mind who grabs who's dog to get any situation calmed down. I've heard the afternoon crowd is more like some of you have described, not paying attention or cleaning up. We are usually the first ones at the park in the mornings and do "poop patrol" from the afternoon/evening people that don't clean up. Knock on wood though the park has been great for us so far, but we can talk to folks and watch the dogs at the same time its amazing how many can't seem to multitask.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Oh just another comment... here in Houston we have this place that is a dog park/bar and just the fact that people are drinking alcohol and letting their dogs play unleashed already sounds like a red flag! I read reviews on them online and it was dead on... several people complaining that the owners dont check their dogs as they are there to socialize and drink. The idea sounds great but it's mixing two things that not necessarly should be mixed.

Dog park and bar?!?!?!?! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. But seriously, thanks for the compliment me on watching Remi like a hawk. I really was!!!! I don't think my heart stopped fluttering for a single moment.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Dog park and bar?!?!?!?! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. But seriously, thanks for the compliment me on watching Remi like a hawk. I really was!!!! I don't think my heart stopped fluttering for a single moment.

Yes, the idea is actually pretty good because by law they can have the dog park and also offer beverages (Houston has some strict rules about food being served close to animals) and then they allow for food trucks to park outside their parking lot, so if you want to grab a bite they have different vendors coming different days of the week. We had our bulldog meeting there and we went early on a Sunday so we didnt have any problem but I read A LOT of negative reviews especially for the people that went late in the afternoon or night time about aggressive dogs and owners that don't pay attention to their dogs.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Ugh it's stories like this that make me not want to bring Bacon to a dog park ever, but I really want to get him used to being around other dogs without getting ape :poo:excited like he does now.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Why on earth would anybody think that it is a sensible idea to bring their dog to a dog park, and then walk off or not pay attention!!??!!

Some people are just ridiculous! :mad:

AllisonXX

Nov 8, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
I love the dog park in our town. The dogs and owners are really friendly, and everyone is socializing with everyone else for the most part (inter and intra species). I do watch Monty at all times, however, and make sure we don't get too far apart so that I can intervene if he acts out.

When there is trouble, I try to stay calm and in control. It's tough when there are dogs fighting or making intimidating noises, but a good attitude from the humans can really influence the dogs for the better.

In our park I haven't witnessed any out-and-out fights, but there have been a few situations instigated by very insecure dogs. When a dog comes in with its tail wedged between the legs, the other dogs will tend to gang up on it.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Yes, the idea is actually pretty good because by law they can have the dog park and also offer beverages (Houston has some strict rules about food being served close to animals) and then they allow for food trucks to park outside their parking lot, so if you want to grab a bite they have different vendors coming different days of the week. We had our bulldog meeting there and we went early on a Sunday so we didnt have any problem but I read A LOT of negative reviews especially for the people that went late in the afternoon or night time about aggressive dogs and owners that don't pay attention to their dogs.
I was going to ask if you were a member of the meetup group, but I see you are! I met your dog's brother at the meetup on Saturday (I kept hearing "that's Izzy's brother")! The bullies had so much fun at the dog park and my husband and I had a good time laughing and talking with the other owners. The non-bulldog owners at the park were looking at our dogs like they were a mob. lol I take Jackson to the dog park often, but have never been to the Boneyard. Alcohol and dogs just don't seem like a good mix to me.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I was going to ask if you were a member of the meetup group, but I see you are! I met your dog's brother at the meetup on Saturday (I kept hearing "that's Izzy's brother")! The bullies had so much fun at the dog park and my husband and I had a good time laughing and talking with the other owners. The non-bulldog owners at the park were looking at our dogs like they were a mob. lol I take Jackson to the dog park often, but have never been to the Boneyard. Alcohol and dogs just don't seem like a good mix to me.

Yes! You met Copernicus, her brother!!! :) I havent met him yet because I was out of town this past weekend but hopefully she will bring him on the next meet up so I can have Izzy to play with him!

Was that your first meet up? I already attended 3 and I love them, they usually do at the hairy dog wash but the bulloween and the next meet up is at boneyard.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Yes! You met Copernicus, her brother!!! :) I havent met him yet because I was out of town this past weekend but hopefully she will bring him on the next meet up so I can have Izzy to play with him!

Was that your first meet up? I already attended 3 and I love them, they usually do at the hairy dog wash but the bulloween and the next meet up is at boneyard.
Yes, Copernicus! We were all laughing at his name. He was so cute though! That was my 5th meetup. I've been to 3 meetups at Dirty Hairy and 1 at Meadowlake. I won't be at the next meetup, but probably the one after that. I guess I'll be meeting you soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online