Dog Park Dog Owners

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
This is kind of long, but an interesting tail.

My mind is still reeling a little bit from what happened at the dog park just now. Remi has finally reached the age he is allowed into the park according to the rules. Wooot! Though, I admit, I've taken Remi in there once before, because there were a couple of nice dogs, very low key, and the owners were both cool with it. I usually just feel it out and see what happens, but at the very least, he can sniff dogs through the fence and socialize a bit.

I realized Remi was 3 pounds shy of the "large dog" section of the park. Remi can (surprise) be a little bit of a bully, so I like to keep him with the larger dogs who don't seem to mind him as much as some of the smaller breeds. However, there were literally like 20 dogs over there, and that was just way too intense for me. I took him into the smaller park, where he got a long with the other 2 dogs OK. One of the dogs that were in there were NOT very social, and I kind of wondered why they were at the park to begin with. But I like to feel out a situation, and if my dog doesn't seem wanted by another dog, I try to demonstrate boundaries. I don't let my dog bully another dog (Unless I'm helping an owner train their dog) Otherwise, I don't find that acceptable.

After about 30 minutes, I took Remi into the big dog park because the dog he did get along with had to go. Also the number of dogs in the large section dropped to about 5-7. He started playing with everyone very well. I mean, it was awesome. Good, solid wrestling, no aggression. Remi somehow pinned a boxer, which I found amusing. Remi is funny; he finds someone that he wants to play with, which is usually a big athletic dog, and that's it. He doesn't want to play with 12 dogs all at once. He picks a BFFL. About 30 minutes later, someone brings in an English bulldog/beagle/mutt mix and all hell breaks loose.

Remi can play rough. And when these 2 started playing, it was amazing. It was aggressive, but both dogs were happy and lovin' it up. Somewhere along the line, another dog gets involved. He is like the instigator in the back of the room that keeps barking aggressively at Remi. The EB/beagle mix starts getting a little rough and relentless with his attacks. The ganging up thing really puts Remi off and he tries to get away from this super aggressive playful dog. At this point, he is just getting pummeled because he's no longer defending himself. The owner tries to get control of his dog, but really can't. Remi is at this point obviously done playing. He looks scared and is getting pushed around and my mom instincts are in full swing. I lift Remi up and hold him until everyone can get their dogs under control. The old guy finally gets his EB/beagle mix, but this other, big gray dog, is still barking aggressively at Remi. In fact, he's jumping ON ME and lunging for him. :nope::nope::nope:

At this point I start yelling for the owner. Hey, get your dog! Hey, who's dog is this?! Hey, come get your dog!!! Everyone else starts doing the same thing. 30 seconds later, which felt like a LIFETIME BTW (minutes after the actual scuffle happened when everyone tried to get their dogs) the owner finally turns around and gets her dog under control. She was halfway across the park! :cursing::cursing:
She genuinely apologized, and I was polite, but I was also shaking with anger. :cursing:

Anyway, that really had me shaken up. So I took Remi out of there, whom I thought was tired anyway. As I was leaving, I start talking to a woman in the small dog bark, who invited me over after they saw what happened. I have to admit, my ego was bruised. :crying::crying: I felt like a bad dog mom who made the wrong call. Should I have left him in the small park? Remi, who easily springs back from the incident, starts playing with this woman's dogs through the fence. I decide to bring him in, and long story short, they get along famously and there aren't any incidents. Remi was tired, though, and normally he can be a little rough with small breeds who aren't elusive. The faster your dog is, the better our dogs will love each other.

Interesting tidbit while I'm in the small dog park with this other awesome lady: We observe in the large dog park not 1 fight, not 2 fights, not 3 fights, but 4 fights involving the same crazy playful dog, and his new instigator buddy, the big gray dog. These dogs did not know each other before today, but I couldn't help but notice that every fight people had to break up over there involved these 2 animals.

Glad I got out when I did!!

Moral of this long story? Teaching boundaries is so important. If Remi gets too rough with someone, I make him sit and give him a little time out to he can calm down. If you take your dog to the park, you have to watch your dog. You can't just talk to your friends and ignore them in a pack environment. Even dogs you know really well can still respond differently if they become cornered or ganged up on, or egged on. :bitching::bitching:

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Not every dog owner takes responsibility :nonono:, shame isn't it?

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We don't have any dog parks where I live, so we don't have the same issues (my issue has been socializing Pan with other dogs because there is no park). But I agree, if you take your bully, or anyother dog, anywhere you need to watch them.

I'm glad that Remi escaped unscathed.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wow what a day! glad you ended the day on a good note for Remi by letting him play more with in the small dog side so that he won't fear the park.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh yea we had more than one story of dog parks here and there not pleasant usually. i dont know why some owners dont seem to get it that they have to watch their pets when they are in that type of environment.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not a big fan of dog parks, here they call them leash free parks, I have 3 in my area, but I haven't betaken them there yet for a few reasons, the first was they were too young, they are only 8 months old, so tended to stay more around home, then I see that some people don't clean up after their dogs, and leave poop around, other dogs roll or step I. It, or you step in it, and then for the reason you encountered, the aggressive dogs, and their owners who don't watch them , or make an attempt to stop their bad behaviour. I was told by someone, that a little dog was killed this summer by a bigger dog at one of the leash free parks. So I haven't brought my two there. I'm fortunate to live backing onto a nature trail that has a river running through it, it's right behind my house, and has a large grassy area, trails, and wooded areas. I met a few people with dogs , it seemed lots of people got new puppies this spring, and so we met a German Shepard, puppy, a Lab puppy, a French Bulldog puppy, and a smaller dog. They all got along, and we would see them every night after dinner. There's also another park that we can drive to , about 10 minutes away , it has a big playground, bike trails, tennis courts, and a huge soccer field, so early in the morning, and in the evenings it want very busy, a few people brought their dogs there , and they got to run and play. It was perfect because it was cooler in the mornings, and evenings, and since we had such a hot summer, it was a good time to take them, and there were only 3 or 4 dogs.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], I totally know what you mean. The good thing is, we have a ton of other parks that I love taking Remi to. Some of them are close to what you described, woods with creeks running through and such. The reason I keep going back to the parks is because I know how much Remi loves to socialize with both other dogs and people. (I mean, kids right?!??! So awesome) I want him to grow up well mannered, and I don't want to rob him of that necessarily. It's kind of like the debate between leaving your kid in public school, or sending them to private :) There will be fights and some bullying, but generally, everything is OK. (Fingers crossed... :blink:)

I'm very glad this park at least has a separate area for small and large dogs, else I would take the same stance as you and probably avoid the park all together. I love the one on one experience though. I haven't decided if I will go back as often, but perhaps once a month.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Your better off to go to the parks where there are only a few dogs , because it is one on one, they tend to be cleaner, because not as many dogs go there, so less chance of picking up parasites, you don't know if all the dogs have updated vaccines, and when there are only a few people, you tend to get to know them, and their dogs better. You only need one or two dogs to socialize your dog with, you don't need a whole bunch, he can have one or two BDF ( best doggie friends) and still be socialized

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
This really makes me nervous about taking Roxy to any place like that... there are a ton of dog parks like that around Seattle, and my main concern isn't Roxy's behaviour... it's getting someone else's dog away from her that's not on a leash if god forbid something were to happen. Some people are just NOT responsible with their dogs and your story is a perfect example of the type of situation I'm worried about.

Leash free or not I'd always have her on a leash/harness just to be able to attempt a tiny bit of control in a potentially escalating situation. Ughh. :(

I'm glad Remi is ok, and I'd have laid into that dog's owner with the fury of a thousand suns if I'd have been there. :cursing:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the exact reason we no longer go to dog parks... people do not watch or train their dog or themselves

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Leash free or not I'd always have her on a leash/harness just to be able to attempt a tiny bit of control in a potentially escalating situation. Ughh. :(

:cursing:

Most parks require your dog remains unleashed. They can get tangled, plus I'm pretty sure it gets in the way of how they would interact with another dog, especially if they are off leash. It's hard to let go of our babies!! haha. We ended up going to another dog park and having a wayyyy better time.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I believe there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. People need to take responsibility for there pets! Especially in public places, you have to be on top of it. You did the right thing.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This past weekend was so nice so I took my boy, Tank on his first dog park adventure. He is 11 months old now and certainly big enough to play with the big boys. He just wasn't quite sure what to do. LOL! While he wanted to play, he'd never been off-leash except in our yard. He stayed fairly close and watched the other dogs. He did pair up with a 4 month old Pit pup and they had some fun, but Tank was very submissive. He continued to watch the other dogs and would run back and forth with them but still not sure what he should be doing. He reminded me of a small child trying to play with the older kids in the neighborhood. Then he would just stop and get this panicked expression and start looking around. I'd call his name and he would look so relieved and come running to me. I think he was afraid he'd lost me or I was going to leave him. Ahh! And if another dog would come see me, he would have to nicely come by and make sure I was okay. I think there were just too many dogs for him this time and it was overwhelming. He was ready to go after an hour! There were a few things that I did notice the short time I was there. There were 2 fights with one drawing blood, some knot head people came in with food for a picnic, right in the middle of a bunch of dogs - DUMB idea! Surprised there weren't more fights. Most people were watching their dogs, but some were who knows where and some were in lawn chairs reading completely unaware of their dog and everyone else. It wasn't a bad experience but I can see how an outing to the dog park could go bad quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
There were 2 fights with one drawing blood, some knot head people came in with food for a picnic, right in the middle of a bunch of dogs - DUMB idea! Surprised there weren't more fights. Most people were watching their dogs, but some were who knows where and some were in lawn chairs reading completely unaware of their dog and everyone else. It wasn't a bad experience but I can see how an outing to the dog park could go bad quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some people have zero idea about food aggression! Amazing!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.