Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Park Dog Owners

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

This past weekend was so nice so I took my boy, Tank on his first dog park adventure. He is 11 months old now and certainly big enough to play with the big boys. He just wasn't quite sure what to do. LOL! While he wanted to play, he'd never been off-leash except in our yard. He stayed fairly close and watched the other dogs. He did pair up with a 4 month old Pit pup and they had some fun, but Tank was very submissive. He continued to watch the other dogs and would run back and forth with them but still not sure what he should be doing. He reminded me of a small child trying to play with the older kids in the neighborhood. Then he would just stop and get this panicked expression and start looking around. I'd call his name and he would look so relieved and come running to me. I think he was afraid he'd lost me or I was going to leave him. Ahh! And if another dog would come see me, he would have to nicely come by and make sure I was okay. I think there were just too many dogs for him this time and it was overwhelming. He was ready to go after an hour! There were a few things that I did notice the short time I was there. There were 2 fights with one drawing blood, some knot head people came in with food for a picnic, right in the middle of a bunch of dogs - DUMB idea! Surprised there weren't more fights. Most people were watching their dogs, but some were who knows where and some were in lawn chairs reading completely unaware of their dog and everyone else. It wasn't a bad experience but I can see how an outing to the dog park could go bad quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member Raspberryswirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oswald Cobblepot
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dog Park Dog Owners

@ModernFemme Eek! No doggie parks for Roxy, then. I'm too much of a worrywart I think!!
    "The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so he can breathe without letting go." - Winston Churchill

If only we humans were made that way.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    There were 2 fights with one drawing blood, some knot head people came in with food for a picnic, right in the middle of a bunch of dogs - DUMB idea! Surprised there weren't more fights. Most people were watching their dogs, but some were who knows where and some were in lawn chairs reading completely unaware of their dog and everyone else. It wasn't a bad experience but I can see how an outing to the dog park could go bad quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Some people have zero idea about food aggression! Amazing!

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I love to go to the dog park but I am always watching Izzy like a hawk! Every step, every encounter every move! I try to let her defend herself and learn bounderies from other dogs.... but the reason I am less "hands on" is because I take her to a small place where all dogs seem to have great owners by my house here in Houston.

On another note I had a bad experience at a dog park with a friend's dog several years ago, this black labrador attacked her dog and bit his ears, we ended up at the emergency hospital on a Sunday afternoon. The vet told us that he lost track of how many dogs come there on Sunday's with bites or problems that happened in the dog park....

So I guess we just need to be careful and aware of our dog! We know our babies better than anybody else and we know when they can possibly get in trouble. You were reading Remi's reactions like a book so you knew when he was tired or being attacked and the right time to step in and take action!

But I can totally see me as the lady that wants to teach somebody a lesson of "responsible dog ownership" to a person that is completely unaware of their dogs!!!!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Oh just another comment... here in Houston we have this place that is a dog park/bar and just the fact that people are drinking alcohol and letting their dogs play unleashed already sounds like a red flag! I read reviews on them online and it was dead on... several people complaining that the owners dont check their dogs as they are there to socialize and drink. The idea sounds great but it's mixing two things that not necessarly should be mixed.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member DesertBum's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Xena
    Likes (Received)

We are lucky the park by us has a little dog and big dog area, and at least those of us in the mornings have all gotten to know each other and each others dogs. Sometime play does turn a little rough, but we are all paying attention and don't mind who grabs who's dog to get any situation calmed down. I've heard the afternoon crowd is more like some of you have described, not paying attention or cleaning up. We are usually the first ones at the park in the mornings and do "poop patrol" from the afternoon/evening people that don't clean up. Knock on wood though the park has been great for us so far, but we can talk to folks and watch the dogs at the same time its amazing how many can't seem to multitask.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out the car window

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Oh just another comment... here in Houston we have this place that is a dog park/bar and just the fact that people are drinking alcohol and letting their dogs play unleashed already sounds like a red flag! I read reviews on them online and it was dead on... several people complaining that the owners dont check their dogs as they are there to socialize and drink. The idea sounds great but it's mixing two things that not necessarly should be mixed.
    Dog park and bar?!?!?!?! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. But seriously, thanks for the compliment me on watching Remi like a hawk. I really was!!!! I don't think my heart stopped fluttering for a single moment.

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Dog park and bar?!?!?!?! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. But seriously, thanks for the compliment me on watching Remi like a hawk. I really was!!!! I don't think my heart stopped fluttering for a single moment.
    Yes, the idea is actually pretty good because by law they can have the dog park and also offer beverages (Houston has some strict rules about food being served close to animals) and then they allow for food trucks to park outside their parking lot, so if you want to grab a bite they have different vendors coming different days of the week. We had our bulldog meeting there and we went early on a Sunday so we didnt have any problem but I read A LOT of negative reviews especially for the people that went late in the afternoon or night time about aggressive dogs and owners that don't pay attention to their dogs.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Ugh it's stories like this that make me not want to bring Bacon to a dog park ever, but I really want to get him used to being around other dogs without getting ape excited like he does now.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Why on earth would anybody think that it is a sensible idea to bring their dog to a dog park, and then walk off or not pay attention!!??!!

Some people are just ridiculous!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

I love the dog park in our town. The dogs and owners are really friendly, and everyone is socializing with everyone else for the most part (inter and intra species). I do watch Monty at all times, however, and make sure we don't get too far apart so that I can intervene if he acts out.

When there is trouble, I try to stay calm and in control. It's tough when there are dogs fighting or making intimidating noises, but a good attitude from the humans can really influence the dogs for the better.

In our park I haven't witnessed any out-and-out fights, but there have been a few situations instigated by very insecure dogs. When a dog comes in with its tail wedged between the legs, the other dogs will tend to gang up on it.

Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Yes, the idea is actually pretty good because by law they can have the dog park and also offer beverages (Houston has some strict rules about food being served close to animals) and then they allow for food trucks to park outside their parking lot, so if you want to grab a bite they have different vendors coming different days of the week. We had our bulldog meeting there and we went early on a Sunday so we didnt have any problem but I read A LOT of negative reviews especially for the people that went late in the afternoon or night time about aggressive dogs and owners that don't pay attention to their dogs.
    I was going to ask if you were a member of the meetup group, but I see you are! I met your dog's brother at the meetup on Saturday (I kept hearing "that's Izzy's brother")! The bullies had so much fun at the dog park and my husband and I had a good time laughing and talking with the other owners. The non-bulldog owners at the park were looking at our dogs like they were a mob. lol I take Jackson to the dog park often, but have never been to the Boneyard. Alcohol and dogs just don't seem like a good mix to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads