Is this normal??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 15 months old now. I would say for at least the last 6 months he poops twice a day, in the morning when I take him out and then again in the evening. We started him on a new grain free dog food on Thursday, still mixing in his old dog food so he can adjust slowly. The thing is Fri. and Sat. he pooped 5 times per day, not diarrhea..not the hard poops he use to have but a softer stool. When he goes.. he goes A LOT.. it is not just a little bit. Today it is 1:30 and he already has gone twice. Again not runny, just a little softer than usual, but the amounts are large. Is this normal when you all have changed their foods?? Other than that no gas, and he loves the new food. OOHHH and WHAT a HUGE difference with him getting an allergy shot on Friday!!! I have not seen him scratch at all, his redness in his face is now a light pink but most of all I noticed last night how clear his eyes are. The shot is suppose to last 4-6 weeks, he will most certainly be getting these on a regular basis!! Thank you for your responses :heart:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I can't really comment on the food change and the amount of pooping lol. I am so glad to see that Vegas is getting better!! He probably feels so good!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well, there is no definite answer to this one. I have a couple of questions first :)

What brand were you feeding? How many cups in each feeding?

Yes, he could be having a big tummy ache from the switch, ESPECIALLY if he is switching from Garbage to a good food. Remember, you will need less of the new food, because it is full of good stuff.

I would not do half/half, I would start with 1/4 to 3/4 for 1-2 days, then 1/2 1/2 for 2 days (or more, or until you are running out of the old food- I have actually done this for weeks depending on how much old food I have), then 3/4 to 1/4 for at least a day, then on to the new food.

It is not uncommon to get a tummy ache, some dogs are more prone to this than others. Vegas just may fall into that catagory.

If the poop does not improve in a day or two, put him on a bland diet for 24 hours and then try again. The reason he is pooping more is either

a) He is having gas build up in his intestines, thus give one cup of food but 3 cups come out- it is filled with air

b) He is allergic to an ingredient in the new food. Compare ingredients with what you are currently giving him.

When Sarah had an allergic reaction to food she could not control it tho. She was having gas pains obviously, she would just come up to me and poop right next to me. Ended up that she was highly allergic to lamb.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well, there is no definite answer to this one. I have a couple of questions first :)

What brand were you feeding? How many cups in each feeding?

Yes, he could be having a big tummy ache from the switch, ESPECIALLY if he is switching from Garbage to a good food. Remember, you will need less of the new food, because it is full of good stuff.

I would not do half/half, I would start with 1/4 to 3/4 for 1-2 days, then 1/2 1/2 for 2 days (or more, or until you are running out of the old food- I have actually done this for weeks depending on how much old food I have), then 3/4 to 1/4 for at least a day, then on to the new food.

It is not uncommon to get a tummy ache, some dogs are more prone to this than others. Vegas just may fall into that catagory.

If the poop does not improve in a day or two, put him on a bland diet for 24 hours and then try again. The reason he is pooping more is either

a) He is having gas build up in his intestines, thus give one cup of food but 3 cups come out- it is filled with air

b) He is allergic to an ingredient in the new food. Compare ingredients with what you are currently giving him.

When Sarah had an allergic reaction to food she could not control it tho. She was having gas pains obviously, she would just come up to me and poop right next to me. Ended up that she was highly allergic to lamb.

OK feeding him Iams probiotics that he was started on by the person we bought him from :eek: 1 1/2 cups in morning 1 1/2 cups at night, he weights 63 lbs. Switched to Natures variety Salmon grain Free, on Thurs. feeding him fresh vegs instead of the cheap dog treats, he does not have gas or act like he is sick, he is actually acting sooo much better and looks better. He did get an allergy shot that makes him drink more, and therefore pee more. I will reduce his food intake to one cup in the morning and one cup at night. I am just trying to do the best and have learned sooooo much on this site!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, he won't need as much food, so reducing it by one cup a day will probably be a big help! Once you get strickly on Nature's Variety you can feed him 3/4c a day (with treats/snacks) or 1c a day without treats/snacks. Adjust as needed if you see weight loss or gain.

Don't be embarrassed, I was feeding Iams too until I found out! :eek:

Hopefully, the improvement on Vegas's immune system will make it so that he never needs an allergy shot again!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.